Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Porsche satisfied with the 718 Boxster S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 12:03 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
If anyone continues to personalize the discussion your going on vacation.
Read the the posts, come to a conclusion and act.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:08 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My only point was really about the guy intimating that the first generations of Boxsters were not men's cars. That kind of thinking has linage in the "944 isn't a real Porsche" wrong minded thinking. I'm sure the current car is a blast to drive, to each their own.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:12 PM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
My only point was really about the guy intimating that the first generations of Boxsters were not men's cars. That kind of thinking has linage in the "944 isn't a real Porsche" wrong minded thinking. I'm sure the current car is a blast to drive, to each their own.
Every version of the Cayman/Boxster has been excellent relative to its peer group and release date. They have never been a poor mans Porsche or hairdressers car. Thats always been nonsense. A Porsche sports car is a Porsche sports car - simple
Old 10-18-2017, 12:21 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first Porsche was a four, a 944 and I enjoyed every minute of seat time in that car, it never disappointed me. A turbo would have been nice but once you wound up the n/a it was a very fun car to drive.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:21 PM
randr
Banned

Great work Bob - Poor old Randy Pobst, it was his quote - go look it up on Motor Trend
Old 10-18-2017, 12:30 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

"I guess its a case of those that know how to drive get the reward and those that don't talk about sound." Your comment.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:31 PM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
My first Porsche was a four, a 944 and I enjoyed every minute of seat time in that car, it never disappointed me. A turbo would have been nice but once you wound up the n/a it was a very fun car to drive.
Most Porsche sports cars are a hoot . Its best to just go and enjoy them.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:33 PM
randr
Banned

"I guess its a case of those that know how to drive get the reward and those that don't talk about sound." Your comment.
Correct and accurate Nothing belligerent about it all and it was a direct reference to R.P and his very clear comments.

Thats the whole point of Porsche - drive them hard and you get the reward.

If you want "sound" get a flat plane cranked GT350R or 458. Different world.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:37 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

The general public has always and will always view the Boxster as a Girl/Hairdresser car. To think otherwise is just ignorant. So what? I love them and am scheming how to put one next to my 911 in my driveway.... The Miata is viewed the same; yet it's the number one most raced car in the world and an excellent drivers' car. The stigma is real and it's not going anywhere. My 911 is a cab and some would say it has the same stigma - again; so what? I love that car and will be buried in it.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:58 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

When I drive my Spyder around, I can say without a doubt that the public gives me more compliments and thumbs up on my hairdresser's car then I ever got in my 911 cab.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:59 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

What color leather to sample? I started a thread on LTS (see sig). I also note LTS is not on the configurator for the 718 GTS.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:47 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

This. About as ill informed a statement as I have seen on Rennlist for a few years.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:52 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
The general public has always and will always view the Boxster as a Girl/Hairdresser car. To think otherwise is just ignorant. So what? I love them and am scheming how to put one next to my 911 in my driveway.... The Miata is viewed the same; yet it's the number one most raced car in the world and an excellent drivers' car. The stigma is real and it's not going anywhere. My 911 is a cab and some would say it has the same stigma - again; so what? I love that car and will be buried in it.
These type of comments usually come from the direction of someone not qualified to pass judgement on the relative merits of Miatas and Boxsters when compared with so-called real men's cars. When Chris Harris refers to it, his tongue is firmly in his cheek.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:24 PM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

So I drove a 6-speed 718 Cayman S last Thursday, and at the risk of getting flamed by someone whose Rennlist name shall not be spoken, I'm going to share a couple of observations:

1) The engine sound is pretty boring, especially at lower RPM's. The 981 with Sports Exhaust makes beautiful music.

2) Because the 718's engine is so quiet (even with Sports Exhaust activated), it's difficult to know where the RPM's are for a smooth take-off in 1st gear unless you're staring at the tach. Without looking at the tach, often I didn't give it enough gas and lugged it, other times I over-revved the engine putting more stress on the clutch than I would have liked.

3) Because of the turbo lag, I found it difficult to do great rev-matched downshifts because I'm used to the immediate throttle response of a normally aspirated engine when I blip the throttle. Because of the second or so delay of the onset of power, the timing of releasing the clutch is different (slower) than what I'm used to.

Overall, the 718 S feels really fast and well planted, more so than the 981, although I didn't get to really experience it in the twisties. You can definitely feel the additional horsepower and low end torque compared to the 981. I got to take a few autocross runs in a 718 Cayman S and 718 Boxster S about a month ago and the cars felt great (better when you got them up on boost).

So which would I choose? The ideal car for me would be a 718 in every way except for the engine. There I would opt for the 6 cylinder of the 981 S or GTS. Second choice would be a 981 Boxster S or GTS, and third would be a 718 Boxster S. I know that Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards have forced Porsche and everyone else into turbos, and I understand that you that you can't fight progress, but I also feel that I missed the boat and should have custom ordered a 981 Boxster S or GTS when I had the chance. Just one's guy's opinion.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:09 AM
randr
Banned

^^^
These are your choices, the soon to be released 718 GT4 and 718 Spyder or go over to GT3 GT3T

Porsche make a vehicle to suit everyone.

Quick Reply: Is Porsche satisfied with the 718 Boxster S?