Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoQuest Motorsport - It's Done! The 981 Shorter Final Drive Ratio

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Awesome work John

Old 12-05-2017, 07:05 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 66 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Unconscionable
This is EXACTLY what the GT4/Spyder needs. Not 4.0.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:16 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks, John. I need to think this through long and hard. There are # of scenarios, such as getting a new tranny with this mod or modifying the current one or keeping the 981 at all, etc. But, I would love this mod. Just what I need. Will think about it. As for the next gen, if you decide to do this product for 982 Spyder, here is a suggestion: go more aggressive gearing. In my view, S2000 is the benchmark for street driving. Here are the speeds of bottom four gears:
1st: 38 mph
2nd: 56
3rd: 78
4th: 100

This type of gearing combined with the sweet-shifting gearbox/shifter give truly gratifying driving experience and aural pleasure. Of course, track rats and auto-cross junkies may not like it, as they need to shift a lot and lose time. For street driving and canyon carving, we will get to experience the redline as often as we could, without worrying about being shipped off to slammer!
Old 02-08-2018, 02:07 AM
Vento_aaa
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone here actually have this done yet? Still hoping for a first hand experience.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:36 AM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

me too
Old 04-19-2019, 01:04 PM
WarbirdDude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would the cost be to add the lightweight flywheel package to the FD gear change ? Would there be a bump in labor cost at the dealership or do they need to have the clutch apart anyway ?

Are there any cars out there with only the FD mod but close to stock otherwise ? No header/tune.

I’d love to see reports or video of a simple FD swap without the header/tune or with just the FD and lightweight flywheel again with no header/tune.

My new (to me) GT4 is waiting to be shipped from AZ to MI , the new transmission is on its way from Germany, and I have a year left of warranty. This will be my first car that I will track with a warranty and I’m thinking I’d like to keep as much of the warranty intact as I can this 1st year. The GT4 only has 5,400 miles on it at this point and not a single over rev.... �� The report came back all zeros !

So no header/tune for me just yet, but a new final drive makes a lot of sense since everything is going to be apart.

Joe
Old 04-21-2019, 07:23 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by WarbirdDude
What would the cost be to add the lightweight flywheel package to the FD gear change ? Would there be a bump in labor cost at the dealership or do they need to have the clutch apart anyway ?

Are there any cars out there with only the FD mod but close to stock otherwise ? No header/tune.

I’d love to see reports or video of a simple FD swap without the header/tune or with just the FD and lightweight flywheel again with no header/tune.

My new (to me) GT4 is waiting to be shipped from AZ to MI , the new transmission is on its way from Germany, and I have a year left of warranty. This will be my first car that I will track with a warranty and I’m thinking I’d like to keep as much of the warranty intact as I can this 1st year. The GT4 only has 5,400 miles on it at this point and not a single over rev.... �� The report came back all zeros !

So no header/tune for me just yet, but a new final drive makes a lot of sense since everything is going to be apart.

Joe
Joe,

Your post seems to have been automatically moderated for some reason even though you seem to have a number of prior, quality content posts. Anyway, I approved the post. Best of luck with the new GT4!
Old 04-22-2019, 12:28 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Why 19% reduction? Seems too short for a car that DOES NOT have the traction of a 911 to begin with. At the end of the day, power is nothing without control.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:38 PM
WarbirdDude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mark,

Wasn't sure why it got moderated. I sent an email direct to AutoQuest for some detail and a small order.

I'll post here with anything helpful as I go.

Joe

Quick Reply: AutoQuest Motorsport - It's Done! The 981 Shorter Final Drive Ratio