Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spyders for sale... 981 Vs. 987.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 12:18 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Hah, I’m glad that someone said this before me;

>>. I find that using them all in a given week is a challenge.<<

Definitely a first world problem, but real nonetheless. Enough so that I’m considering reducing the fleet by selling my 987.2 Spyder and my 911.50 and replacing them with a 991.x Targa. Not ready to officially post them for sale yet, still addressing the separation anxiety, but heading in this direction.

DaveGee
Personally I am really enjoying having two very different Porsches. I wanted to take a "vacation" from the Spyder and focus on something different for a while. So for the past few months my entire focus has been on the 964 and while I continue to maintain the Spyder with oil change and keeping the battery charged I'm not driving it or focusing on it. But at some point I know that I will hit a plateau with the 964 and I will want something different so at that point my focus will go back to the Spyder and I'll let the 964 sit.

Having had the pleasure of driving many different Porsches over the past few years I know that I don't want to sell my Spyder as nothing has reproduced the driving experience and connection...although the 996 GT3 came close.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 10-06-2017 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:48 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Nick, what would be the longest gap between driving/riding a vehicle, that is considered good for the vehicle? Presently, I have two cars and two motorcycles. I find that using them all in a given week is a challenge. I wonder how those of you with multiple vehicles use them frequently. I have a self-imposed limit of 3 cars and 2 motorcycles. It is challenging to keep them all clean and ride!
Henry, I don't know the answer to your question or if anyone has ever done a study showing at what point of inactivity things start to go south mechanically. My totally non-scientific general rule of thumb is to not let more than three weeks go by without each vehicle in the stable getting some seat time (made possible year round by great So Cal weather). This wasn't easy to do a couple of years back when I had three cars and four bikes, but I had to thin the herd to fund the Spyder so life is more simple now. I certainly don't miss the guilt I felt when job/family/life/etc. required prolonged periods of non-use. Just like when your dog is dying to go for a walk and stares at you with those big brown eyes, that's how it felt every time I went to the garage and saw the bikes itching to stretch their legs.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:46 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Personally I am really enjoying having two very different Porsches. I wanted to take a "vacation" from the Spyder and focus on something different for a while. So for the past few months my entire focus has been on the 964 and while I continue to maintain the Spyder with oil change and keeping the battery charged I'm not driving it or focusing on it. But at some point I know that I will hit a plateau with the 964 and I will want something different so at that point my focus will go back to the Spyder and I'll let the 964 sit.

Having had the pleasure of driving many different Porsches over the past few years I know that I don't want to sell my Spyder as nothing has reproduced the driving experience and connection...although the 996 GT3 came close.
The 964 is a lot of fun. I enjoyed my experience in that world for about 10 years. Had a couple of RSA's and did up a 91 to RS spec, which was a lot of work, but offered a great deal of satisfaction. The moment I drove the 996 GT3, the 964 became a distant memory. The GT3 is an incredible car. I've enjoyed mine in so may differing environments, especially on track, where the car does what it's designed to do brilliantly. That car does require some tweaking to extract it's full potential though, but again, that process is very rewarding.

I then drove the Spyder, and was smitten immediately. The car is just so right out of the box, no tweaks necessary. This was a no holds barred exercise, from the factory, to create a perfectly balanced sports car. What a machine!!! Certainly the GT3 and the Spyder are quite different from one another, but both offer so much.

I will admit to asking myself the question....If I only had one, which one..... If I'm honest, the Spyder has the slight advantage. It's useable in such a wide variety of conditions and environments.....First world problems indeed
Old 10-07-2017, 05:36 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

I agree. There is a world of difference between my 987 Spyder and my GT 3RS. The RS is much more aggressive in every sense (the word franetic is appropriate) and is hard to drive slow or in a relaxed matter. It’s basically like driving a civilized Cup car with a sequential on the street.

The Spyder is more of a “drivers car” especially with the MT. It’s playful and a joy to take out for a spin.

Enjoy having both as you get to pick your flavor.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:56 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

I think we've officially morphed into "What is the Best Stable Mate for a Spyder" and I agree with Afshin and others that's just a joy to have an older air-cooled to drive. They are so mechanical, almost "charming" and full of "occasion" yet IMO no where near tough the driving abilities of the Spyder.

While I wait for mine I am enjoying my 993 but am looking forward to dropping down into the Spyder and opening up the can of whoop-*** that it delivers. Both great cars. Both very differently and as nice balance to have of old and new school.

Last edited by Zeus993; 10-08-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:18 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
...... My totally non-scientific general rule of thumb is to not let more than three weeks go by without each vehicle in the stable getting some seat time (made possible year round by great So Cal weather). This wasn't easy to do a couple of years back when I had three cars and four bikes, .............
Thanks, Nick. I try to follow a mandatory rotation of usage for each vehicle. I dedicate one for the rainy days (S2000). Rest get rotated. Putting reasonable amount of miles is very important. Yeah, finding an optimal period of non-usage might be difficult. We just have to let go something when mind wanders to the next cool ride!
Old 10-14-2017, 12:45 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I think we've officially morphed into "What is the Best Stable Mate for a Spyder" and I agree with Afshin and others that's just a joy to have an older air-cooled to drive. They are so mechanical, almost "charming" and full of "occasion" yet IMO no where near tough the driving abilities of the Spyder.

While I wait for mine I am enjoying my 993 but am looking forward to dropping down into the Spyder and opening up the can of whoop-*** that it delivers. Both great cars. Both very differently and as nice balance to have of old and new school.
Did you get your car yet?

Mine got delivered this week. What a fun car. I'm replacing the stock shifter with numeric shift cables and oem ssk. Other than that, almost perfection.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:16 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Did you get your car yet?

Mine got delivered this week. What a fun car. I'm replacing the stock shifter with numeric shift cables and oem ssk. Other than that, almost perfection.
Arrgh!!! It arrived 2 days ago but I'm out of town on a business trip until the 24th. All I've got is this...

What are the specs on yours?

I've seen the OEM numeric shift cables on Suncoast. Is that what you are installing?

Name:  IMG_4246.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  157.0 KB
Old 10-15-2017, 11:25 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Arrgh!!! It arrived 2 days ago but I'm out of town on a business trip until the 24th. All I've got is this...

What are the specs on yours?

I've seen the OEM numeric shift cables on Suncoast. Is that what you are installing?

Attachment 1260889
Mines platinum silver with cocoa interior

2 separate items

Ssk shortens shift throws while the cables replace the crappy plastic cables which are prone to failure
Attached Images  

Last edited by Jamie140; 10-15-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:05 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

@Jamie140 where are you purchasing the numeric shift cables from?
Old 10-15-2017, 03:13 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
@Jamie140 where are you purchasing the numeric shift cables from?
A place in Canada.

But you can order directly from the source: https://numericracing.com
Old 10-15-2017, 05:29 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Wow Joel, you picked up a real beauty. Enjoy in the best of health. I'm sure I will get to see it in the flesh. It was so hard for me back in 2013 to walk away from a platinum silver/red interior with silver door straps/seat belts car as I just had bought my GT3 and that car sold instantly to a RL'er after I posted here. You should never sell this one
Old 10-15-2017, 10:28 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Mines platinum silver with cocoa interior

2 separate items

Ssk shortens shift throws while the cables replace the crappy plastic cables which are prone to failure
A place in Canada.

Platinum over cocoa? Awesome.

But you can order directly from the source: https://numericracing.com
Cool. I've heard of these. My car has the SSK in in but cables would be great. And the shifter at the site is incredible.

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Wow Joel, you picked up a real beauty. Enjoy in the best of health. I'm sure I will get to see it in the flesh. It was so hard for me back in 2013 to walk away from a platinum silver/red interior with silver door straps/seat belts car as I just had bought my GT3 and that car sold instantly to a RL'er after I posted here. You should never sell this one
Exactly. Amar. I suspect when I ACTUALLY see it, it'll hit home. 8 more days. Excited.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:34 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Default Back in the Spyder's web...

Well at long last I landed home from business travel long enough to pick up my new-to-me Gen 1 Spyder!!! I immediately dropped the top and took it for a good romp up the Sea 2 Sky Hwy (just north of Vancouver).

My first impressions? Holy cow! I had forgotten just how GOOD this car is. Incredible. I am sure the new set of PS4's didn't hurt but the car is, as many of you know, incredible. And I had forgotten how I know this car so well and how to drive it.

Where the Gen 2 is a fantastic ripping rhinoceros, this Gen 1 is a full on point and go Cheetah. The engine being smaller and shorter stroked revs and de-revs so fast that you really don't need to use the brakes much. And as for the power? Fantastic and no really need for more. I reached some respectable speeds very very fast (maybe it's the "Cup Holder" delete option. Yep. The dash flappy piece doesn't flap).

The next day the rain set in and I had to leave town for the weekend. Spyder all tucked away for my return.

Anyways, super happy to be back in the Spyder's web and ready for the next rip.
Name:  IMG_6372.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  306.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6373.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  319.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6387.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  285.0 KB
Old 10-26-2017, 10:57 AM
spydersmiley
Instructor