Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spyders for sale... 981 Vs. 987.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 03:07 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Congrats Joel!!! The wait must be painful, especially with winter approaching.

Can't wait to see more pics once you have it in your hands.
I know! It should be here on Tuesday / Wednesday, hopefully. October can still have some great driving weather left so I hopefully can drop the top and enjoy it.

I'll post more pics when it arrives.

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
WOW Joel! Unicorn is right. That there is a home run ball!

We definitely see eye-to-eye on the color combo

I sense your automotive attention span is shorter than most, but I'm guessing this one might be in the stable for a very long time.

Very savvy pick up. Really happy for you!
Thanks Nick! I suspect you are right about hanging on to this one. It's a rare find with all the right options - Silver/Red, PSE, SSK, LWBS, Crests etc...

I may even add a few more alcantara interior bits.

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Congrats man!

Where did you find that unicorn?
Showed up on AutoTrader and I jumped on it. The previous owner pretty much knew what he had and I would say was somewhat reluctant in selling it so there wasn't a ton of room ($500) in the price negotiation. He picked up a 2013 981 Boxster and commented "I may be like you - regret selling this as you did your last one".

Originally Posted by Waxer
Man that one is a beauty. Congrats!
Thanks!
Old 10-01-2017, 03:20 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You got the car Zeus, I like the 981 but no way I'd give up mine for a 981
Old 10-01-2017, 03:27 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Thanks TA. It was a tough call for me because, as Nick knows, I really love the 981 Spyder and there is a Silver / Red one for sale as we speak. I came very close, in fact ready to put a deposit on it, when my new-to-me 987.2 showed up on AutoTrader. But the seats, the colour, the windows, the roof etc... out ranked the 3.8 and just sealed the deal. Nice to be soon "back in the Spyder's web".
Old 10-01-2017, 03:29 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,597 Likes on 879 Posts

Spyders = Addiction!
Old 10-02-2017, 08:45 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Addiction indeed. All it takes is one drive and your done.

Congrats Zeus! Great combination there. How many miles?
Old 10-03-2017, 01:03 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Spyders = Addiction!
I believe this to be true! Crazy but fun...

Originally Posted by christallon
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Addiction indeed. All it takes is one drive and your done.

Congrats Zeus! Great combination there. How many miles?
Thanks so much. It's fairly high - 38,750 miles. Well driven, not excessive not under. It arrives this week so I am super excited to see what my 2nd "internet bride" looks like. I bought my 993 sight unseen as well - at least for my personal eyes - and relied on others. Fingers crossed he's as good as the pictures and the Porsche dealers PPI looks!

P.s. Just check Autotrader.com and there are 4 or 5 Gen 1 Spyders there - only one that I can see with a MT but no LWBS and the others are PDKs with sofas. Again the MT & LWBS are definately the unicorns... There is one in Canada that I can see - low miles but a PDK.

It will be interesting to see if the Gen-3 982 Spyder comes with a PDK. I think there's enough guys with bad knees that they may reconsider this option again, something they left out with the 981.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:31 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
It's fairly high - 38,750 miles. Well driven, not excessive not under.
I think that's ideal mileage. I'd worry more if it had 1,000 miles. 6-7,000 miles/year suggests the car has been exercised fairly frequently and machines are meant to be operated. Gotta agree with this blurb from AutoTrader:

"Cars are full of plastic and rubber parts that tend to get brittle if they're not used regularly, and drivetrain components are definitely happier when they have hot fluids coursing through them on a consistent basis. In other words, as attractive as those low miles may be, they can also foreshadow big-bucks repairs and reconditioning. In some cases, the car might never run quite right despite your mechanic's repeated efforts. . . . Assuming it has a robust maintenance history and drives well, it could actually be a better long-term bet in terms of running costs. Bottom line? Low miles aren't always your friend . . . "
Old 10-03-2017, 11:40 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

I think that's ideal mileage. I'd worry more if it had 1,000 miles. 6-7,000 miles/year suggests the car has been exercised fairly frequently and machines are meant to be operated. Gotta agree with this blurb from AutoTrader:

"Cars are full of plastic and rubber parts that tend to get brittle if they're not used regularly, and drivetrain components are definitely happier when they have hot fluids coursing through them on a consistent basis. In other words, as attractive as those low miles may be, they can also foreshadow big-bucks repairs and reconditioning. In some cases, the car might never run quite right despite your mechanic's repeated efforts. . . . Assuming it has a robust maintenance history and drives well, it could actually be a better long-term bet in terms of running costs. Bottom line? Low miles aren't always your friend . . . "
I agree! These are cars Begging to be Driven and Have to Be Driven. I would be suspicious if there weren't some miles on a used one. 3-6k a year would be ideal IMHO.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:04 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
I agree! These are cars Begging to be Driven and Have to Be Driven. I would be suspicious if there weren't some miles on a used one. 3-6k a year would be ideal IMHO.
I agree 100%. That's why I jumped on this. It's a car from east of the Rockies so HIGHLY unlikely it was winter driven at all, just good spirited driving in 4-5 seasons. I'll keep you guys posted. Should arrive this week.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:58 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Thanks TA. It was a tough call for me because, as Nick knows, I really love the 981 Spyder and there is a Silver / Red one for sale as we speak. I came very close, in fact ready to put a deposit on it, when my new-to-me 987.2 showed up on AutoTrader. But the seats, the colour, the windows, the roof etc... out ranked the 3.8 and just sealed the deal. Nice to be soon "back in the Spyder's web".
You dudes need to have one of each!
Old 10-04-2017, 03:28 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Congratulations, Joel. Looks great. It is a hard choice between 987 and 981. Regardless, you couldn't live without a Spyder, if you take (open-top) driving seriously! Sometimes, I get tempted to consider picking up a Gen 1. Then rational and prudence kick in!

Nick, what would be the longest gap between driving/riding a vehicle, that is considered good for the vehicle? Presently, I have two cars and two motorcycles. I find that using them all in a given week is a challenge. I wonder how those of you with multiple vehicles use them frequently. I have a self-imposed limit of 3 cars and 2 motorcycles. It is challenging to keep them all clean and ride!
Old 10-04-2017, 11:36 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Hey Nick! YES! New RIDE on it's way in. I have not seen it in person yet but the PPI from a Porsche Dealer looks great. New set of PS4's and a wheel alignment on board. Can't get enough of the design line of the side window top edge as it rakes back to the power domes. It's a bit of a unicorn so I "had" to do it. So looking forward to some open air driving. I even had a dream about it! The perfect stable mate for the 993. Check these out from the previous owner...
Am I excited?
Attachment 1257000

Attachment 1257001
Very nice - I had an RS60 in that color combo.

It is all personal preference, but I like the looks of the 987.2 myself and am willing to eat a little on "performance" over the 981. To me, the 987.2 has the right vertical proportions, but to each his own. Clearly thrilled to have either!
Old 10-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie140
You dudes need to have one of each!
Ha! There's an idea...

Originally Posted by the_rider
Congratulations, Joel. Looks great. It is a hard choice between 987 and 981. Regardless, you couldn't live without a Spyder, if you take (open-top) driving seriously! Sometimes, I get tempted to consider picking up a Gen 1. Then rational and prudence kick in!

Nick, what would be the longest gap between driving/riding a vehicle, that is considered good for the vehicle? Presently, I have two cars and two motorcycles. I find that using them all in a given week is a challenge. I wonder how those of you with multiple vehicles use them frequently. I have a self-imposed limit of 3 cars and 2 motorcycles. It is challenging to keep them all clean and ride!
Thanks! I feel your pain. I've been up to 5 cars and at first it was fun but later on I found it a pain. Everyone needed washing, a battery would go dead etc... and 4 always had to left behind while the "chosen one" got to go out.

Originally Posted by daylorb
Very nice - I had an RS60 in that color combo.

It is all personal preference, but I like the looks of the 987.2 myself and am willing to eat a little on "performance" over the 981. To me, the 987.2 has the right vertical proportions, but to each his own. Clearly thrilled to have either!
They're both very pretty cars but I agree with you the the top design of the 987.2 allowed them to use the pointed windows out of the Cayman and create very striking proportions. That being said, the 981 has some very nice, more aggressive design features that I think look great.

All good fortunate to own one.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:49 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 255 Posts

Hah, I’m glad that someone said this before me;

>>. I find that using them all in a given week is a challenge.<<

Definitely a first world problem, but real nonetheless. Enough so that I’m considering reducing the fleet by selling my 987.2 Spyder and my 911.50 and replacing them with a 991.x Targa. Not ready to officially post them for sale yet, still addressing the separation anxiety, but heading in this direction.

DaveGee
Old 10-05-2017, 04:47 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Hah, I’m glad that someone said this before me;

>>. I find that using them all in a given week is a challenge.<<

Definitely a first world problem, but real nonetheless. Enough so that I’m considering reducing the fleet by selling my 987.2 Spyder and my 911.50 and replacing them with a 991.x Targa. Not ready to officially post them for sale yet, still addressing the separation anxiety, but heading in this direction.

DaveGee
I considered that too Dave and getting into a 997.2 GT3. Simple. I MAY do a move like this something but in the meantime totally looking forward to some Spyder time.

Quick Reply: Spyders for sale... 981 Vs. 987.2