Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM 3.0, 987.2 aftermarket head unit questions for BOSE equipped Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 05:54 PM
seemyad
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PCM 3.0, 987.2 aftermarket head unit questions for BOSE equipped Cayman

I drive a 2011 Cayman.

I have the PCM 3.0 V2.2 and the BOSE sound system. I do not have the steering wheel with radio control functions.

My biggest priorities are installing a rear-view camera and having a head unit with built-in navigation (my PCM 3.0 has built-in navigation although the unit looks a bit dated even for 2011).

When I saw the price of simply adding a camera to the existing PCM 3.0 I figured may as well upgrade with an aftermarket head unit (radio/nav) for which I am receiving conflicting information.

Additionally, two privately owned shops (one in Bellevue WA the other in Sacramento CA) claim the radio install is a 10 hour job at $100/hr. The rear view camera is an additional 2 - 3 hour job. So basically, all said an done these two shops want around $3000 for parts and labor, which I view as a rippoff.

Two other shops (FOSS Audio and Best Buy) claim the install is slightly more complicated than normal but not by much. So their pricing is far more reasonable. They both claim to install systems in Porsche fairly regularly (which may be true because many people own exotic cars in this area).

So far I purchased:
  • Touchscreen head unit, Pioneer AVIC 8201NEX. (Best Buy $920)
  • Cayman specific premium 2 DIN housing kit (CAI-store.com $150)
  • Cayman specific aftermarket radio adapter cable (cai-store.com $45)
  • Bose Subwoofer Retention Harness (cai-store.com $35)
  • Rear-view camera (cai-store.com $150)
  • Antenna cable converter Euro-to-USA (just in case)

I have no problem in returning these items as they have not been delivered yet.

Here is where the conflicting information begins.

1) Everyone agrees that the HUR adapter (to keep BOSE amp) loses the ability to fade as it only has two channels.

HOWEVER: One installer claims he can configure connectivity in such a way where you lose "balance" option but maintain "fade" option. Not knowing the wiring, this statement makes sense to me. Yet a different installer states this cannot be done.

I always fade my system to the back at about a 37/63 (f/r) percent.

2) I prefer to bypass the BOSE amp. One installer says they use a small amp to drive the BOSE subwoofer and use the head unit to directly drive the other speakers. I am fine with this (if it works) because I prefer audio quality over audio loudness.

Yet a different installer states that due to the number of BOSE speakers in the car, the head unit does not have enough outputs/channels to drive them all. They suggest a five channel amp instead.

I asked "well, how is that different? You have one channel of the amp driving the sub, leaving four channels to drive the other speakers. The head unit should also have four channels to drive the same speakers, correct?" The installer said, that's different but did not explain how.

3) One installer says Kenwood is better than Pioneer, especially if you intend to use the navigation (which I do). Alpine seems to be another option as well.

Although I have the iPhone SE, this is likely the last iPhone I will ever purchase. Why? even though I like the features and I am very familiar with the menus, NO phone on earth is worth $1000+ dollars. Apple has lost their minds and so has anyone who ponys up $1000 for a phone. I just sent my mother a $450 LED smart TV. My laptop cost less than $500. Apple and drop dead with their ridiculous pricing.

Thus, the built-in car navigation system is something I intend to use especially when my SE is no longer supported.

4) Can an aftermarket amp go in the front cargo area or does it need to go under the passenger seat in the 987.2?

5) Does anyone have the wiring diagram/speaker layout for the 987.2 Cayman with BOSE audio system?

I know a bit about electronics. I just don't know the wiring configuration for my 2011 Cayman with BOSE system, which is why I am a bit confused based on the information I have received from 3 to 4 different shops that claim to regularly install aftermarket units in cars like mine.

I'd like to get it installed correctly by knowing the facts (if possible).

Anyway, I am certain others have asked similar questions. Mine are a bit more nuanced so I decided to start a new thread.

WHAT A CAR!!! I am having a lot of fun in this car. My BMW is getting jealous.

Thanks everyone.
Attached Images     

Last edited by seemyad; 09-22-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:04 PM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in what you get back on this thread. I've been looking at MusicarNW to consider a stereo upgrade and installed radar / laser detector system.

http://musicarnw.com/envira_album/musicars-gallery/
Old 09-23-2017, 12:27 PM
bernb6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I installed a Pioneer AVIC Z150 with Nav in my 2009 CS and am very happy with it. Installation took me about 5 hours as a first timer. There are several threads to help disassemble the console. There's also a guy that provides a plug to plug conversion for the unit - sounds like you have a similar item. IMO, newly designed aftermarket units are often more fully featured for interfacing with Apple & Android. Note, I did not have Bose so have no comments on your Bose questions. Re room for an aftermarket amp, yes, there's plenty of space in the little compartment between the battery and frunk.
Here's a link to a console removal article:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...moval-diy.html
Bern

Quick Reply: PCM 3.0, 987.2 aftermarket head unit questions for BOSE equipped Cayman