Brake Wear Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 01:51 AM
Trogdor1980
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Wear Indicator

Hi All,

I recently got a 718 Boxster GTS, came out of an e92 m3. I’ve done my first track day in it, have my second later in January.

In my old e92 I could see the “km remaining” for front and rear brakes which gave me a rough guide as to how much brake pads I had left. I can’t see any similar feature in the 718. The manual says there will be a warning light when the brake pads are low.

does anybody know if there is a similar km left wear indicator on the 718?
when the wear light warning comes on, does anybody know how much pad is left? Is it possible to tell which wheel triggered the warning?

many thanks
Old 01-01-2020, 02:01 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Nope, there is no km left wear indicator. What you do have is a sensor that gets broken when the pads have very little material left. The broken sensor opens the electrical circuit and the warning light on the dash lights. There is no indication of wheel, but if one is done then the other side on the same axle would also be done. If you are tracking the car then you will want to keep an eye on your pads. When you get down to about the backing plate thickness is when you want to replace the pads if tracking the car.

The following users liked this post:
X2Board (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 02:15 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

What he said. ^^
Old 01-01-2020, 02:22 AM
Trogdor1980
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Todd.

i know it’s approx how long is a piece of string question, but how many track days have you guys gotten out of a set of pads? Not really keen to have to take wheels off so often to check until I need to etc...
Old 01-01-2020, 01:51 PM
FazedChicken
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 108 Posts

I can see my pads pretty easily with my wheel design. No need to remove anything. Also get track inspections every few weeks anyways so it all gets looked over.

For stock pads it's really hard to know how long they'd last since it depends on your actual track and how you use them. Some people always get less or more depending on their track driving style.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:06 PM
Fume
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the 128i which also had the same service indicator for brake pads and from what remember reading up on it, the distance before service number was all just an estimate from the car based on how you drive.

There wasn't any sensor other than the standard brake wear sensor that gets triggered when brake pads wear down past a specific point, which the Porsche has.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:46 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

As already said you shouldn't have to take the wheels off to check, depending on the design. A flashlight and if needed a telescoping mirror can be used to check. How long pads will last really depends on what you are running, tires, driving style and track. If you have PTV, you may see the rears burn a bit quicker.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:55 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Fume
I had the 128i which also had the same service indicator for brake pads and from what remember reading up on it, the distance before service number was all just an estimate from the car based on how you drive.

There wasn't any sensor other than the standard brake wear sensor that gets triggered when brake pads wear down past a specific point, which the Porsche has.
^whs.
I've had several M cars that I tracked and the brake wear was purely speculative and of zero value.
For a tracked car you need to do the visual inspection often throughout the event.
The following users liked this post:
X2Board (01-02-2020)

Quick Reply: Brake Wear Indicator