Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 06:36 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 185 Likes on 94 Posts
Default COBB Tuning - RELEASED Accessport Flashing Without ECU Removal

In an effort to continue offering the best tuning solution for the 991.2 Porsche 911 and 718 Boxster/Cayman we are constantly looking to improve our solution. Improvements come in many forms, from simple firmware udpates to add features, updated map files to provide more consistent or smoother power delivery, and expanded vehicle support, to ensure you can look to us for tuning whenever needed.

In June of 2018, we released the Accessport for Porsche’s newest generation (at that time) of the 911 and Cayman/Boxster. The Accessport allows users to flash their car’s ECU with a file provided with the Accessport (Off The Shelf Maps) or a custom tune created by your choice of COBB Porsche Protuners. Accessport tuned cars hold a slew of records ranging from ¼ mile, ½ mile, road rallys, and more. Simply put, the Accessport is the best and most capable factory ECU tuning solution for Porsche.

One pain point we have dealt with has been the need to remove a vehicle’s ECU in order to be unlocked before an Accessport can be installed. This often meant customers would be without their Porsche for 2-3 days as the ECU made its way to and from us here in Texas.

Luckily, that has all changed. We’re excited to announce that the ability to tune your Porsche 991.2 generation 911 or 718 in the comfort of your own garage is HERE!. We understand that there are some of you who have been chomping at the bit to tune your Porsche with an Accessport but have been leary of the initial install process. The Accessport allows users to install/uninstall at their discretion as well as change map files for specific situations such as a track day or handing your keys to a valet.

Last edited by COBB Tuning; 12-20-2019 at 02:33 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by COBB Tuning:
ekam (05-30-2020), Omm (12-18-2019), rasetsu (12-11-2019), SuncoastParts (12-10-2019), Todd B (12-10-2019), X2Board (12-10-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-10-2019, 06:46 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

COBB attempting to drop the mic after APR made their no-ECU-removal announcement.

Curious to see which company gets the ability to flash at home without removing the ECU to market first.

Competition is good.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:48 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Duplicate.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:53 PM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Great news for everyone! We have been thrilled with our Cobb Accessport and Protune from BGB Motorsports. Over a year and 11 track events and our 718 is running as strong as ever. 147mph on the back stretch at Sebring in 4 cylinder!

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

The following 2 users liked this post by SuncoastParts:
COBB Tuning (12-11-2019), Omm (12-18-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 11:35 AM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
COBB attempting to drop the mic after APR made their no-ECU-removal announcement.

Curious to see which company gets the ability to flash at home without removing the ECU to market first.

Competition is good.

Once this update is available, you won't even have to put on pants to flash your car with an Accessport.

Marshall@COBB

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

The following 3 users liked this post by COBB Tuning:
Omm (12-18-2019), Ultimateuno (05-17-2021), X2Board (12-18-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 04:49 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 419 Posts

Competition is good.
Indeed! The winners of competition like this are consumers! APR is already at the market with no ECU removal but they are still relying on their distributor network to perform the flash whereas Cobb will allow at-home installation and flash changes/file updates.

I wonder if this will have any impact on demand for 4 cylinder Caymans in the US.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:03 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rasetsu
I wonder if this will have any impact on demand for 4 cylinder Caymans in the US.
Slim to none would be my guess. Especially new car purchases.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:17 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 419 Posts

Slim to none would be my guess. Especially new car purchases.
Oh, no doubt as far as new car purchases goes! Few will want to risk voiding their new ECU warranty! I was thinking more along the lines of the secondary market.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:08 PM
GTS_VET
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
Oh, no doubt as far as new car purchases goes! Few will want to risk voiding their new ECU warranty! I was thinking more along the lines of the secondary market.
Definitely going to make the little 4T into a powerhouse over the coming years. The purests can stroke themselves over the ”sound” as much as they want while 718s keep getting faster and faster.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:33 AM
Omm
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Once this update is available, you won't even have to put on pants to flash your car with an Accessport.

Marshall@COBB
Please don't promote that

With this new method, can Porsche still detect that the ECU has been altered, if the ECU is reverted back to stock?
Old 12-18-2019, 10:08 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Omm
With this new method, can Porsche still detect that the ECU has been altered, if the ECU is reverted back to stock?
If you are worried about that skip tuning. The safest course of action is to believe that no matter what any tune supplier tells you, Porsche (or any other manufacturer) can detect it even once removed.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:44 AM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Omm
Please don't promote that

When you go through the Uninstall function on an Accessport, the ECU is reverted to the exact state it was in prior to installation. Without having to open the case, there will obviously not be any marks to indicate it has been opened previously.

Marshall@COBB
The following 2 users liked this post by COBB Tuning:
Omm (12-20-2019), X2Board (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 12:08 PM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

When you go through the Uninstall function on an Accessport, the ECU is reverted to the exact state it was in prior to installation. Without having to open the case, there will obviously not be any marks to indicate it has been opened previously.

Marshall@COBB
The uninstall/restore feature is the best thing about the COBB AP. How long before this is available? For me, it's a race between COBB and APR and the first one available takes my money. I suspect it's the same for other people on the fence. (I ran OTS tunes on my GD and GR STI's, and was always happy with the results)
Old 12-18-2019, 12:52 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Marshall@COBB
I'm not sure that really answers the heart of the question.

Lets say Joe Blow has a COBB tune installed and is hooliganing around on his favorite roads. Oh heck. Suddenly the car goes into limp mode. Something is wrong with the engine. Joe goes through the Uninstall function on his Accessport, then has his car towed to his Porsche dealership because it is still under warranty.

COBB is officially stating in that scenario Porsche will not be able to detect that a tune was installed on the car at some point?

I get that they won't be able to detect the tune in place at that moment, because it has been uninstalled, but you are saying Porsche won't be able to look at the data logs and see values outside the OEM specifications? Because I think they will, and you can kiss warranty cover goodbye if you melt your engine with a tune in place.
The following users liked this post:
Omm (12-20-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 06:23 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

^ that's my concern as well.
The following users liked this post:
Omm (12-20-2019)

Quick Reply: COBB Tuning - Accessport Flashing Without ECU Removal