Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking Sound at cold start

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 02:58 AM
seemyad
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Squeaking Sound at cold start

My $29,900 2011 Cayman arrived two days ago from across country via Carmax.

I took it for a test drive last night. At cold start I heard a faint repeating sound while standing outside on the drivers side by the engine.

It sounded like a pulley or a bearing (belt maybe but not likely).

The salesperson heard it too after I pointed it out. After a very spirited test drive the sound was gone. I paid $1000 for shipping the car from Carmax in NC to Seattle WA, which is non-refundable. I'll eat the $1000 if need be.

I also pointed out the brake pedal felt a bit more spongy than I expected, which may indicate a bit of moisture or air in the line (no big deal). Other than that the car looks and performs exceptionally well. It is black on black with the PDK I wanted and Sports Plus package.

It currently has 44k miles on it.

They called me this morning (Carmax) to inform me the techs did hear the noise themselves and were discussing their next course of action to correct the issue.

I have not paid for the car yet. Once I make the purchase I have five days to obtain a 100% refund. I also have a 30 day (after purchase) full Carmax warranty, If anything goes wrong with the vehicle they have to fix it. After 30 days I am on my own unless I purchase an extended warranty.

The car was shipped from North Carolina. The original owner was in New Jersey.

This is a difficult combination to come by as I searched for weeks before finding it e.g. Black on Black, PDK, Sports Plus Package, Bose audio, Cayman base. I did not want the Cayman S. I did not like the manual due to the stiff clutch. I could not find this combination anywhere on the west coast (I live in Bellevue WA). I did find several 2007 - 2009 models (normally blue with grey interior). Finding a 2011 for under $30k with the features I wanted was challenging.

They (Carmax) can tell by my identifying this noise as a potential pulley/bearing that I am somewhat knowledgeable with with cars and engines (I am not a professional though). They also know I am willing to eat the $1000 if I am not satisfied with the vehicle.

• Has anyone had a pulley or bearing sound at cold start with this year/model?
  • If so, what should I anticipate them to fix to correct the issue (I am not paying for the repair)?
  • Although I have no reason to distrust them (yet), how can I determine if they fixed the issue versus masked the issue?

I intend to have a PPI performed at a shop in Redmond WA someone recommended.

Thanks.

UPDATE: Corrected purchase price from $29,500 to $29,900
Attached Images  

Last edited by seemyad; 09-13-2017 at 03:49 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:02 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm thinking water pump. But really not a big deal. Get the PPI from a good independent shop and see what they find. If you can connect with some local PCA folks, they may have good PPI suggestions.

Any service records?
Old 09-07-2017, 09:57 AM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

That's a really good deal, particularly from CarMax. I decided not to have an 07 Cayman shipped from FL to Greenville SC purely due to price. However, my dealings with them were very professional.

Have you looked into their extended coverage. The price was very reasonable (5 yr, 50000 mile coverage was about $2600) and they basically authorized dealer repair according to other posts.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:48 PM
seemyad
Intermediate

Good info and encouragement from both posts (above).

Keep it coming.

Thank you.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:41 PM
EricG
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you describe sounds exactly like what I had on my 05-987S.

It started with a faint squeaking noise on neutral that would disappear after picking up speed. It happend to me on the second days of a 3000 miles road trip, after about 300 miles I received a "Check coolant fluid" message. As I had leveled all fluids before leaving, I pretty much new that my waterpump was giving up.

I took the first exit to stop at a 7/11 in Elkin NC only to see all my coolant gash out at high volume and completely emptied in the parking lot.

After opening the firewall and putting a gallon of water in to restart the car, it was obvious that the water pump had failed.

I suggest you open up the firewall and run the car, that might allow you to spot where the noise is from. If it comes from the bottom left, you will know that its the water pump.

Good luck !
Old 09-08-2017, 03:11 PM
Hall911
Track Day

I just had a similar noise on my 06 S and proactively did the water pump and thermostat. First cold start after and I hear a squeak, now I think it is the idler or tension pulley. I sleep better knowing it isnt the water pump and will address when it is louder.

I can't confirm if the squeak is the same or not, or even loud because I only heard with firewall removed testing the pump replacement. I haven't put the car back together. The water pump wasn't a very hard project, just a bit messy on the ground for 3 hours.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

My first thought was also the water pump and based upon mileage it is likely due.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:29 PM
seemyad
Intermediate

Thanks for the heads up everyone.

Question, what does a water-pump replacement cost at a reputable indy?

Just ball park.

I change my own spark-plugs on my BMW 530i. I've flushed the brake fluid and changed the diff fluid on my as well. With a skill level of about 6 out of 1 - 10 (10 being a very experienced and skilled mechanic), could I DIY water-pump replacement if I needed to in the future?

I have rented a lift in the past at a DIY garage to flush my coolant too. As long as I do not have to remove a bunch of stuff to gain access I can do most jobs. Its the jobs where one needs to remove several other parts to get to the area that I tend to avoid.

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I'm not sure on the water pump but a quick search should give you the answers either on Rennlist or Planet 9.

Some here have been able to install plugs without removing headers but I know from experience that the plug at the front of the engine is very difficult to access with the headers in place. It's not a significant amount of work but it does require some disassembly. The remaining maintenance items aren't difficult.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Hall911
Track Day

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I'm not sure on the water pump but a quick search should give you the answers either on Rennlist or Planet 9.

Some here have been able to install plugs without removing headers but I know from experience that the plug at the front of the engine is very difficult to access with the headers in place. It's not a significant amount of work but it does require some disassembly. The remaining maintenance items aren't difficult.
I did plugs without removing headers, but man, that is a tempting idea next time. New headers at the same time!

It was awkward and took a while, but completed successfully.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:09 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put headers on a 986. I hold a professional mechanics certification from a car company you all know, I wrenched throughout college, my dad owned half a dealership and was a fantastic wrench. Even with years of experience I snapped a head bolt. When that happens you go from an exciting, can't wait, should be simple modification. To a "no extractor will work", heating it is futile, introduction to timesert products all ending with a why did I screw with this? special place in hell. Proceed with caution.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:44 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by seemyad
My $29,500 2011 Cayman arrived two days ago from across country via Carmax.
OT but that is a gorgeous Cayman. Color, wheels, and styling are sharp! I think John Gaydos (Fabspeed prior, now at a place in Florida) has a Cayman that looks similar but with silver-ish side intake scoops.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:50 AM
seemyad
Intermediate

Originally Posted by okie981
OT but that is a gorgeous Cayman. Color, wheels, and styling are sharp! I think John Gaydos (Fabspeed prior, now at a place in Florida) has a Cayman that looks similar but with silver-ish side intake scoops.
Thanks.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:55 AM
seemyad
Intermediate

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
I put headers on a 986. I hold a professional mechanics certification from a car company you all know, I wrenched throughout college, my dad owned half a dealership and was a fantastic wrench. Even with years of experience I snapped a head bolt. When that happens you go from an exciting, can't wait, should be simple modification. To a "no extractor will work", heating it is futile, introduction to timesert products all ending with a why did I screw with this? special place in hell. Proceed with caution.
Ouch!

I think some may have misunderstood a point I made.

I do not intend to change the spark plugs on the Porsche as a DIY.

I mentioned changing plugs on MY BMW to express my level of mechanical skills, which (I think) I rated myself as a 6 (with 10 being an exceptional mechanic).

Anything I can do without removing critical items to get to is about as far as I am willing to go. Beyond that I pay experts.

Thanks for sharing your story though.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:34 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seemyad, My post was more a cautionary tale to Hall911. Plugs on a boxster really are not difficult just more work with the single coils and long rubber moisture barrier. I'd say the tube seals are more of a pain but there are a lot of posts where people have fashioned cheater tools to extract the oil tubes more easily. IIRC, I read once where someone used a rubber drain plug from a small boat to grip the tube on the inside. I never tired it, (never had leaks) but it sounded plausible. The one thing my dad taught me at a very young age was to start EVERY replaced plug by hand, even if you need to use an extension which on a boxster is essential, cross threading is not your friend. I forgot to look when I last bled my brakes to see if the 987 is the same, on the 986 there was an access for the plugs in the rear fender liners, maybe someone here can confirm if they carried that forward.

PS Not sure how other's feel but I always coat all spark plugs with anti seize compound, it can't hurt.

Quick Reply: Squeaking Sound at cold start