Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To modify exhaust on Spyder or not ..that is the question

Old 09-04-2017, 12:26 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts
Default To modify exhaust on Spyder or not ..that is the question

I bought a 2012 987.2 Spyder back in March. I love the little car but it did not come with sport exhaust . Cantrell can modify the stock cans so that it sounds like sport exhaust all the time. While I like the idea that it will maintain the stock cans I am somewhat questioning whether I should do this as it will take away the ability to bring it back down from the sport exhaust sound to the quieter sound if desired and The stock cans are forever modified . The price is reasonable at only $650 plus shipping.

I like the idea of putting in a factory sport exhaust system but it's $2500 and I am not sure if it's worth the investment.

Aftermarket sport exhaust systems that can be turned on and off are just as expensive as the factory system so if I was going to do this I would buy the factory system from Suncoast and have it installed

Final option is just to buy a Standard sport exhaust aftermarket such as from Borla or Fabspeed.

I like the idea of keeping the car stock for maintaining any future collectibility/desirability .

Any suggestions?
Old 09-04-2017, 12:43 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you buy an aftermarket and stash the OEM you should be good to go, other than storage space.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:43 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I would go aftermarket and leave the stock exhaust alone. Another thought would be to find a used exhaust (I believe there's one for sale now) and have it modified.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:17 PM
Delmartian
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
If you buy an aftermarket and stash the OEM you should be good to go, other than storage space.
+1
Old 09-04-2017, 09:33 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

I've had the Carnewal mod done by Cantrell recently. I found a used stock Cayman R exhaust and had the seller ship it to Cantrell. FYI, the mod does increase sound but not by that much, at least this is my experience - I have a 987.2 Base Cayman.

Also keep in mind that most aftermarket exhausts introduce drone so sticking with stock is the safer route.

I think that PSE is a better option than aftermarket exhausts. It is stock and gives you choice of loud or quiet. It gets great reviews too.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:16 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I have a Borla on my M3, have the PSE on my '12 Spyder. I can't say enough how good I think the PSE sounds, particularly compared to the M3 (I know it is not apples-to-apples).

It is basically a perfect sounding machine with that turned on, albeit at no extra HP gains... If you think the mod to the stock would sound identical, I'd think about doing that. I'd rather leave mine on all the time - is by no means too loud IMHO. I'm guessing with the Spyder it would be louder than any base ride as well.

JB
Old 09-05-2017, 06:11 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default 987.2 exhaust

I too bought a set of " new/unused" cans and sent them to FD motorsports in Ca. for their modification and ceramic coating. After 400 miles of " break-in", while this is short of Fister IIIs on my 993, it sounds real good--and weighs substantially less. Highly recommended.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:48 PM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the exhaust from my Spyder is available here - https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...eady-nice.html - ready for the Cantrell / Carnewal mod. I also bought an S-exhaust and sent it to them to be modified. Great sound. Reasonable offers welcomed !

Donn
Old 09-05-2017, 07:27 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

^^ Great deal! Tips alone are worth the asking price

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To modify exhaust on Spyder or not ..that is the question