Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 987.1 Owner Maintenance Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 03:17 PM
MSGGrunt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New 987.1 Owner Maintenance Questions

I am off to look at a 2007 6-speed Cayman with only 36,000 miles. At this mileage the only things I can confirm that have been done are:

- New battery
- New tires
- Oil changed with Mobile 1 regularly

My concerns are that cars with very low miles may need a bit of deferred maintenance and this is where I need advice so I know what my TOTAL purchase cost will be. What should I anticipate out of the below and please let me know what I am forgetting.

- Water Pump?
- Coolant flush?
- Brake Fluid flush?
- PS Fluid flush?
- Serpentine belt?
- Low temp thermostat (not required)
- Plugs? I have read that if not changed according to mileage they should be change every 4 years or so so they do not "freeze" into the heads?
- Radiator intakes cleaned out?
Old 08-28-2017, 04:15 PM
danschy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd suggest if you purchase it take it in for a 40k service which checks a whole bunch of things and replaces the following: oil/filter, air & cabin filters, brake fluid, drive belt, plugs. Porsche does not specify a change interval for PS fluid or coolant. I plan to replace my water pump when it starts leaking or making noise. Cleaning out radiator area should be done regularly, and consider adding some kind of grille. I just dropped the front bumper on my 07 Cayman with 50k miles to thoroughly clean out the area. You can't get all the crud out from the front.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:43 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

+1 on above. I'm a fan of all new fluids (oil, coolant, brake fluid, transaxle) at the beginning of my ownership. Then I know it's been done and done right.

I'm also a big fan of getting a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) done. Best couple hundred $$$ you can spend. This way you have someone who knows these cars go through all the key items. Confirms all good and/or uncovers easily identified issues.

Good Luck!

Dave in Chicago

'05 987S
'92 968 SP3
'88 944 NA
Old 08-30-2017, 01:12 PM
Car Dork
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my 2005 Boxster (with 88,000 miles). It HAPPENED to have had the IMS service done but I'd suggest budgeting in given the lower mileage of the car. It's great for a piece of mind and also easy to get the majority of the $ back down the road when you can advertise your car for sale with the IMS service done. Also, if you can't afford/aren't willing to fork out $3k for a maintenance/repair item, you probably are better staying away from the car entirely.

Good luck with the purchase and like others have said... PPI!
Old 08-30-2017, 01:52 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

I would change the water pump, using a genuine Porsche pump with plastic impeller. LN Engineering declared the water pump a normal maintenance item to be changed every 4 years like spark plugs.

Ensure that there are no leaks from rear main seal/IMS bearing cover area.

The 2007 Cayman has the larger IMS bearing that can't be changed without splitting the case. Continue to change your oil and don't worry about it and enjoy the car.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:41 PM
MSGGrunt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I do plan on replacing the plugs if for no other reason than how long they have been in the heads.

The water pump will also be replaced with a composite impeller version. No brass or metal one that would damage the block upon any failure.

Serpentine belt will be done as that is cheap insurance not knowing when it was last replaced, if ever.

The cost of maintenance isn't a factor as I have the ability and enjoy doing a lot of the easy things myself. Fluids, filters and even a water pump is within my capabilities and things that I choose not to do will be done by my very competent indy.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:51 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like a good plan. Bleed the clutch when you do the brake fluid flush as they share a common reservoir.
When you replace the water pump you should see pink Porsche antifreeze, if it's green you ought to replace it. A vacuum fill system like makes it easier to get the air out of the cooling system that has a lot of nooks and crannies.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:48 PM
bmetframer
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile 2009 Boxster Base

I was tempted by the price of the earlier models, but after doing the research I bought a 2009 with 47,000 miles. Late 2008 Porsche installed the H-6 motor sans IMS and I felt more comfortable with it. Saves having to cut open the oil filter and look for filings and installing a magnetic drain plug.

A Porsche salesman mentioned it runs around $30,000 to replace the engine if you can find one. He may have wanted to sell a newer model.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:09 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Just purchased an 07 Cayman as well.

In for the advice.

Thx.

Quick Reply: New 987.1 Owner Maintenance Questions