Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions on LWB bolster wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 01:58 PM
Boiler Inspector
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Question opinions on LWB bolster wear

Looking at a 987.2 Spyder, PDK with LWBs, 25k miles. Trying to work a deal and the dealer rep tells me "to say the stitching needs to be redone is a stretch" and isn't really showing any flex at all on price. What say RL?

Old 08-28-2017, 03:41 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Previous owner did not learn the "butt hover maneuver" I'll bet other LWB owners will know what I'm talking about. I understand why it bothers you but some lexol will diminish it. The po was also tracking it which may account for wear that I don't know about.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:51 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

The lower bolster stitching definitely looks like it's been worn off completely. The upper bolster looks ok. The leather can be dyed and repaired, it won't be perfect but it will look much better than current. The stitching should be redone and or a new piece installed if you want it perfect. Otherwise with time if you don't learn the proper entry into these seats the other stitch will also wear away and you'll end up with a split.

There is a bolster protector that you can buy although I can't recall if they're still available.

Good luck with the negotiations.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:53 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 987 Likes on 511 Posts

The bolster protector you want may be purchased from Crazy Eddie on the GT4 list.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:05 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I could be wrong, but I think Eddie's bolster protectors are specifically designed for the current gen LWBs in the 981 Spyder, GT4, et al. Not sure if Eddie makes a protector specific to this 987 gen seat or if the current gen bolster protector can also work/fit on this older seat. Irrespective, it's certainly worth contacting Eddie, as Alan suggested, to find out. If he doesn't make one for this seat, perhaps he could.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:38 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 987 Likes on 511 Posts

My apologies. I was thinking of the current generation. However, a friend asked if he could make protectors for the previous version and I believe he may be working on them.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:29 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here are the bolster protectors I was referring to: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...rotectors.html
Old 08-29-2017, 02:39 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

To me, that's a symptom of someone who didn't give a crap about the car and didn't care for it properly. I'd pass - who knows what else may have been ignored or overlooked.

The least I would want is a significant discount to cover repairs. The upper seat belt is also routed incorrectly. Who knows why. Needs a thorough PPI for sure.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:53 AM
Boiler Inspector
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
To me, that's a symptom of someone who didn't give a crap about the car and didn't care for it properly. I'd pass - who knows what else may have been ignored or overlooked.

The least I would want is a significant discount to cover repairs. The upper seat belt is also routed incorrectly. Who knows why. Needs a thorough PPI for sure.
I made an offer on it yesterday and the guy basically said my offer was unrealistic and downplayed my concerns for bolster wear, without even counteroffering. Oh well. Thank you for everyone's replies. We'll keep looking.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:41 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boiler Inspector
I made an offer on it yesterday and the guy basically said my offer was unrealistic and downplayed my concerns for bolster wear, without even counteroffering. Oh well. Thank you for everyone's replies. We'll keep looking.
Be patient, good ones will pop up. Just be ready to pull the trigger when the right one pops up.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:41 AM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill

I have seen the incorrect routing of the seatbelt (through the hole in the seat in stead of over the shoulder) on other cars for sale as well.

Why reroute the seatbelt??

Obviously when it is replaced you need to figure out the routing... but why mess this up?

You may want to check if the seatbelt is original, it should have a label with the production date on it at the lower end. You may als want to check if the airbag was replaced, which can ben done by checking if the underside of the steering wheel has a hole in it. It chould be upholstered and closed. To remove the airbag you need to make a hole.

Good luck searching

Quick Reply: opinions on LWB bolster wear