Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alex's 987.2 Cayman S Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 12:46 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

What a shame!

I'd have to take a "vacation" just to drive my car ha
Old 07-02-2019, 04:01 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Will be driving my car over the weekend of the 4th for the first time since Christmas time. I got new wheels and will post pictures with them on the car!
Old 07-06-2019, 01:14 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

I got a set of Cayman R wheels and had them completely refurbished and refinished in OEM Silver. I absolutely LOVE how these look on my car and has made me fall in love with it all over again.

Funny enough while I was getting these mounted I was at the dealer looking at a GT4 and then I came back to car with the Cayman R wheels and fell in love again.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:10 PM
e34nication
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by idk_alex
Will be driving my car over the weekend of the 4th for the first time since Christmas time. I got new wheels and will post pictures with them on the car!
I know I have seen this car parked in the BOA parking garage (I work in the building) ... remember the plate. Great looking car.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:47 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by e34nication
I know I have seen this car parked in the BOA parking garage (I work in the building) ... remember the plate. Great looking car.

Thank you!

That was me, I was in BOA for last year (since relocated to NYC). What car did you usually have there? I remember there being a handful of Porsche's and every-once in awhile a Silver 987.2 with some track mods.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:27 PM
aldenatl
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car looks great, really dig the color!
Old 08-21-2019, 06:53 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Feeling nostalgic as I've only seen my car once in the past 9 months.

I might head to Road Atlanta Labor Day Weekend and then take the Blue Ridge Parkway up to NYC.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:02 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Good news,

I am flying back to FL on Thursday and will be driving the Cayman to New York over Labor Day weekend.

Here is my itinerary:

Friday: Driving from Tampa to Atlanta
Saturday: Having fun in the North Georgia Mountains / Deals Gap and then spending the night in Asheville, NC
Sunday: Driving the Blue Ridge Parkway to somewhere in North Virginia / Maryland / DC
Monday: Driving to NYC

If anyone has any recommendations on fun roads / sights to see / places to stay on this journey, please let me know
Old 10-07-2019, 10:00 AM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Last year I made the move to NYC and was storing my car at a friend’s house in Florida. While the move to NYC has been great and I truly do love this city, I missed having the Porsche around. Towards the end of August, I received some good news I was waiting for and thought I would celebrate by driving my Cayman S from Tampa to NYC.

I decided to do the trip Solo and drive the “scenic route”. The route planned was through Brooskville to Gainesville, then a direct shot up I-75 to Atlanta, then through the north Georgia mountains to Asheville, then up the Blue Ridge Parkway to Washington DC, and finally up the Eastern Seaboard to NYC.

In total I put around 1,620 miles around the odometer and had an absolute blast… Long solo road trips are a great time to appreciate life. I was able to clear my head from the hustle and bustle of New York and have some much-deserved time to myself.

I’ve had an unconventional ownership experience with this car; one half my ownership I was either living out of state or country and the other half I was using it as a long-distance highway commuter and light daily driver.

I spent most of my time playing around the north Georgia mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway. This car amazes me and never skips a beat. I had so much fun driving the tight, twisty roads surrounding Blood Mountain and then hammering down highway stretches around Hiawassee.

All photos taken with an Iphone XR without any post processing.

Thursday mid-day, I flew into TPA and spent some time with Family. While I was away, I had my car inspected for the road trip by the local Porsche dealer.

They had just received this beautiful GT4 in on trade that was spec’d to near perfection (wrong color). PCCB’s, Buckets and Yellow Stitching. My Sales Advisor let me take it out for a nice drive and we had a lot of fun.

Honestly, I was slightly underwhelmed by the experience, the 981 felt a little too synthesized, even in the most “hardcore” GT spec. My car with Cayman R bits on it felt rawer and nimbler to drive than the GT4. I find it hard to explain, though the 981 was louder and rougher, it felt more disconnected. In the end, it was a nice car but not for me currently. I passed on the deal (maybe if it was yellow, I would have jumped) and was pleasantly reminded how great 987s are.

Friday, I ventured off onto my journey @ around 6:00PM and immediately ran into rain until Gainesville. This was when Hurricane Dorian was looming off the coast of FL and every gas station from Tampa to Gainesville was out of gas, luckily my car was filled beforehand.

I made it into Georgia and proceeded until I made it to my friend’s place in Atlanta around 1:00 AM. The drive through Florida into Georgia was pretty uneventful, there were surprisingly no State Troopers, so I was able to have some fun on the empty stretches.

Saturday Morning, I ventured to PCNA to pay a visit as it had been a little while since I was last there. PCNA is a special place if you’re a Porsche fan; I highly recommend stopping in (make a reservation) if you are in the Southeast.

At the Mothership

Color Comparison with Speed Yellow vs Racing Yellow. I like Racing Yellow and would spec it on a new Porsche, but Speed Yellow feels right at home for me.

I proceeded north towards the mountains and stopped at one of my favorite fast food chains for some lunch.

What depreciation?

Once I made it into the north Georgia mountains, I was in heaven. If you’ve never visited this part of North America, I highly recommend for the scenery and driving. It’s a beautiful place with wonderful people and culture. I spent most of my time on Blood Mountain and the hills of Hiawassee, aimlessly driving and getting lost.

I proceeded until Brasstown Bald (highest point in GA) to take in the scenery before my drive to Asheville later that night. Last year I did a camping trip in Hiawassee and hiked around 20 miles, part of that was up to Brasstown Bald, so it was nice to do it again (in a car).

While in Asheville, I stopped and got some of my favorite beer from Wicked Weed brewery.

Sunday Morning, I made my way onto the Blue Ridge Parkway and up to Mount Mitchell. This was “interesting” to drive up since there was a lot of stop and go traffic with steep terrain and a manual transmission. Nevertheless, I made it to the top and took in the views.

I left shortly after and proceeded up the Blue Ridge Parkway to Washington DC. This was my first time on the Blue Ridge, and I was impressed and disappointed at the same time. It’s a beautiful road with insane views but is also incredibly slow and congested, its definitely a road where you pile into a minivan and take in the sights versus ripping through with a sports car. I still had a blast and found myself parking and taking in the views more than planned.

Finally made it to Virginia, I crossed the NC state line in the dark on a small side road, so I missed whatever state line sign there was. I ended up visiting my friend in DC who has a beautiful orange 720s (forgot to take pictures) and was grateful for the hospitality.

Monday morning, I proceeded on with the last part of the drive in my sights. This section was somewhat uneventful as I drove highways through Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and then into NYC.

Lastly, I was able to find a DIY carwash in New Jersey right before the Holland Tunnel and washed off all the bugs from the journey.

The car is tucked away in a garage about a block from my flat and I’m so grateful to have the car in NYC. I haven’t had the chance to drive the car since I moved it up, but this weekend I will go for a nice mountain drive upstate NY.

The car won’t be daily driven and only driven for pleasure on nice days. Sadly I’m sure I will get little use of the car over the winter but will appreciate it that much more once spring comes!!!
The following users liked this post:
BigBob (01-31-2021)
Old 10-07-2019, 12:50 PM
Parman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Great photos, the R wheels look fantastic.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:33 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by idk_alex
I decided to do the trip Solo and drive the “scenic route”. The route planned was through Brooskville to Gainesville, then a direct shot up I-75 to Atlanta, then through the north Georgia mountains to Asheville, then up the Blue Ridge Parkway to Washington DC, and finally up the Eastern Seaboard to NYC.

In total I put around 1,620 miles around the odometer and had an absolute blast… Long solo road trips are a great time to appreciate life. I was able to clear my head from the hustle and bustle of New York and have some much-deserved time to myself.
Super trip! Thanks for taking us along. There's nothing like a solo road trip to clear the head.

I've never been on these roads, but hope someday to make it to this part of the country.

Your car looks great!
Old 10-07-2019, 03:27 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

That looked like a great journey and what a great way to spend time with the Cayman!

I’m surprised the Blue Ridge was congested, I don’t recall that being an issue when I drove it years ago although I guess it could be getting more popular.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:33 PM
WAILN6
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Yeah that's surprising given that school is back in and leaf season hasn't started there yet. Granted I haven't driven those roads since ~2008, so I'm sure they are more crowded than they used to be. At least you can hit the BRP during the week within a pretty long driving season. April to November IIRC. May where I live could still have salt down and will definitely have sand down and then it repeats in October....which reminds me: The only on-road spin I've ever had was hitting the sand pushed to the outside of the road where I didn't expect it. That was in Atlanta weeks after one of their ice storms on the ramp from 285E to peachtree industrial north. I still can't believe I managed to stay on the road. But I digress......sweet car and love that you took yours on a road trip! Keep the pictures coming.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:30 AM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I plan to keep this thread more updated than previously.

I should clarify that I was on the BRP during Labor Day weekend, so it was more packed than normal.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:50 AM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Potato picture but I took my car out for the last time this year. Dyker Heights' christmas displays were a little nutty.

Quick Reply: Alex's 987.2 Cayman S Introduction