Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's Talk LWBs - Quickly

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 02:46 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Your car was awesome, but I'm a stocker kinda guy. Other than the clear marker lights and, maybe, down the road a while, a set of 5 spoke HREs, I'm gonna keep her stock. This is the first car where I think the stretched tires on the rear actually look good. I usually don't like that look, but I think it works great on this car.
Excellent looking Spyder and congratulations on your purchase!

When the time comes for some 5-spoke HRE's please give me a call. Not enough can be said about Spyders with some proper looking wheels.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 08-23-2017, 03:23 AM
loungin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

I was surprised at how cushioned lwb s are. They are pretty comfortable as long as it’s the right size for you and they make you sit the right way =P
Old 08-23-2017, 05:38 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Well, they sure look the ****, but I have still to find out whether they work as good as they look!
The reclining angle of the seats seems pretty decent. Not as upright as I thought. Compared to your other Porsches, is the reclining angle workable for you and your wife? I passed up on buckets primarily because of fixed back.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:42 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by WheelsB
............Not enough can be said about Spyders with some proper looking wheels.

Would you have the weights of the front and rear wheels (of Spyder), without tires? And, what are the models of HRE that weigh the same or less, at stock specs? Thanks.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
The reclining angle of the seats seems pretty decent. Not as upright as I thought. Compared to your other Porsches, is the reclining angle workable for you and your wife? I passed up on buckets primarily because of fixed back.
Don't know yet, as the car's still 7-10 days from delivery to me, but I did sit in the LWBs in a .1 RS a while back and they were only slightly more upright than I typically set the seat in my Carrera. I'm more concerned about how they're gonna fit my upper back.

Re: the wife, I'm 100% sure my wife will hate these seats and never want to ride in this car, which is fine. I much prefer to do my weekend drives alone and we can just take the Carrera when she's with me.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:46 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Would you have the weights of the front and rear wheels (of Spyder), without tires? And, what are the models of HRE that weigh the same or less, at stock specs? Thanks.
From this link (post #13) - http://www.planet-9.com/porsche-tire...o-weights.html - the specs and weight on the Boxtser Spyder wheels are as follows:

20 x 8.5 - 23 lbs. 3 oz.
20 x 10.5 - 25 lbs. 9 oz.

The HRE FF01's that I posted above and seen here - https://flic.kr/s/aHskA1YXrp - have the following specs and weights:

20 x 8.5 - 23 lbs 8 oz
20 x 10.5 - 24 lbs 8 oz

If you need the ultimate in lightweight then the HRE R101 LW's come in the same 20"x8.5 // 20"x11 weighing 16 lbs and 19.4 lbs respectively.

(Brushed Blue Shown Here But All Colors Are Available)
Old 08-23-2017, 06:55 PM
islandsnow
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I hated my LWB because of the very upright position especially with my cervical fusion. Thankfully my shop was able to get a bracket to tilt the seats 15 degrees and I'm loving it. Porsche should definitely have the seats tilt option.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:34 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by islandsnow
Porsche should definitely have the seats tilt option.
As soon as you start offering multiple adjustments on the LWBs you obviously cut into the weight savings. You have to draw the line somewhere and with fore/aft and height adjustments, Porsche chose to stop there -- wisely I think.

Glad to hear you were able to find a work-around that accommodates your cervical fusion.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:58 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by WheelsB

If you need the ultimate in lightweight then the HRE R101 LW's come in the same 20"x8.5 // 20"x11 weighing 16 lbs and 19.4 lbs respectively.

Thanks. Helpful. Do wheels get fragile as they get lighter? Unless using exotic materials, such as carbon composites, structural integrity could be compromised, for the same type of material, between heavy and light wheels. Of course, process type could make a difference. Or, am I reading too much into it?

Originally Posted by islandsnow
..........my shop was able to get a bracket to tilt the seats 15 degrees and I'm loving it. Porsche should definitely have the seats tilt option.
Agree; the back needs to be adjustable, without adding much weight. Would you be able to post the mod details, please? Is that fixed at 15 degree at all times? Or, you could toggle between stock (upright) and tilt? The tilt angle isn't much. But, it seems to work for you; so, must be meaningful. Can any shop be able to replicate that mod? Thanks.

Last edited by spyderphile; 08-24-2017 at 06:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-24-2017, 02:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Agree; the back needs to be adjustable, without adding much weight. Would you be able to post the mod details, please? Is that fixed at 15 degree at all times? Or, you could toggle between stock (upright) and tilt? The tilt angle isn't much. But, it seems to work for you; so, must be meaningful. Can any shop be able to replicate that mod? Thanks.
See post #23 in this thread.

Note, brackets tilt the entire seat, they don't make the seat back adjustable.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:09 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

We're the ones that make them, and have been doing so for quite some time. We just released them publicly a couple weeks ago on the forum here, and a picture of what they accomplish is below. If you'd like a set just give me a call : )

Old 08-24-2017, 03:13 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Thank you, gentlemen. John, I don't have the buckets. Just thinking ahead if I decide to go for the buckets in 982. Will keep in mind.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:46 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks. Helpful. Do wheels get fragile as they get lighter? Unless using exotic materials, such as carbon composites, structural integrity could be compromised, for the same type of material, between heavy and light wheels. Of course, process type could make a different. Or, am I reading too much into it
Theoretically if you have a wheel company that tries to cut corners without doing the proper engineering just for the sake of saving weight then you can have a fragile wheel. This is not the case with HRE.

In the U.S. there is no governing body for wheels that are sold here. HRE goes out of their way to send every wheel that they design to Germany just to get tested and approved by TUV - an independent QC company responsible for checking all products sold in Germany.

HRE's are built to be lightweight but not at the compromise of quality & durability.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:34 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Awesome; thanks. Reassuring.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Car just showed up and I got to drive it all of two blocks. Clean up tonight and OptiCoating on Saturday.

Re: the LWBs, my only impression so far is that they are easier to get in and out of than most people say, at least they don't really feel any more difficult to get in and out of than the 4way SS+. Sitting in them they feel very comfortable, though the seat bolsters are a little tighter than my 4ways. Have to put a good 1-2 hour drive in before I'll have any real feedback, but they don't appear at first glance to be the torture racks some people make them out to be.

Quick Reply: Let's Talk LWBs - Quickly