Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Contemplating giving up 981 spyder for 987.2 - Am I crazy?

Old 07-31-2017, 02:37 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Contemplating giving up 981 spyder for 987.2 - Am I crazy?

I've been on the hunt for a Spyder for a very long time - finally found and settled on my 981 that I currently have in the garage. She is a beauty - classic interior, GT silver buckets etc. I find myself cleaning and staring at the car more than actually driving it. No idea why - but this is a good problem to have and not at all why I think I'm going crazy.

During that time I had 4 deals on a white/buckets/6speed 1st gen spyder fall through. I can't help but shake this itch that I really want the car that eluded me. Is this an absurd thought? I read a lot of posts comparing the two cars and it appears the one in my garage is the best of the bunch but I can't help but wonder....and quite a bit at that.

Would you sell your 981 spyder for the first generation? Some days I feel like I should. Others I don't but there are definitely more days where I'm curious than not. Someone talk some sense into me please!
Old 07-31-2017, 02:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

You want the better performing car or the one you won't be afraid to drive? It's unclear what the issue is that's driving you to consider the swap.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:47 PM
tq.3z
Pro

I don't know that I'm afraid to drive the current car either though. I guess its mostly just wondering what I'm missing out (or not missing out) on? If that makes sense?

I'm assuming the two cars are similar of course. I could be totally wrong as I've never driven one.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:50 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

If you're not driving the car, you're either concerned about wear on it or you don't like it. When it comes to cars and motorcycles, the deciding factor for me is whether I'm using it or not. Any car or bike I'm not grabbing the keys to on a regular basis is gone. I used to own 3-5 bikes at a time and that was always the metric I used to decide which I liked the best. Simply which one I grabbed the keys to the most.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:04 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Based on what I read sounds like you have a garage queen if nice, and you like it. It gets dirty you come home and clean it. Nothing wrong with either it's your car, but sounds like you need to enjoy and it and have fun. The upgraded car is always better performance wise if not Porsche would be out of business.

Everyone will have things they like or not like about other gen cars, but it boils down to what you want to enjoy. I think the 981 is one of the best looking Porsche's designed, and he drives darn good. Good luck on your choice, but I wouldn't personally go back in time.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:14 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

By all accounts the 981 is the better car. The only edge the 987 has, imo, is that it has hydraulic steering. That said, the electric steering I have driven in a 981 s was the best electric rack I have experienced and I understand the 981 spyder and gt4 have better "tuning" to make it even better.

Anyone who owns a 987 spyder will tell you how great they are, that is not in question. The 981 has considerably more power, though I can't imagine needing that much power in a light, mid-engine two seater. It's nice to have the power, but we don't all need it to enjoy driving. Neither are bad looking cars, the 987.2 spyder is the best looking 987.2, but the 981 is better looking (imo).

I would recommend driving a 987.2 spyder if you can. I can't imagine that you walk away wanting it over the 981 spyder. As archimedes stated, if buying a less expensive car gets you to drive it more then I think that is the right move, even if it is a "worse" vehicle on the surface level. All of that assumes that the price difference is not of importance to you. Obviously the 981 is changing hands for a significant premium to the 987.2, as it should.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:17 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Drive the 987 and then decide.

Personally I could have bought the 981 Spyder but it just didn't match up with my "ideal" sports car. Everyone has a different opinion of "ideal" and there is no correct answer. I wanted something more focused and I was very willing to give up creature comforts in favor of driving experience. Personally I like the looks of the 987 Spyder better but I know I'm likely in the minority.

There's no doubt the 981 is the better performer so if this is an important metric I would not make the switch.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:22 PM
tq.3z
Pro

I think arguing performance for this car is a rather dumb argument. This was made and intended for driving pleasure. The ethos of the car takes after that. You buy and drive it for the joy of it not for the lap times of G force.

I think I'll take her for a drive tonight. I must be going crazy.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:01 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I would echo the comments of those above who suggested you drive the 987. After 5-10 minutes behind the wheel, preferably on some good roads, you will know immediately which car is right for you as the differences between the two cars are stark. Not saying one is "better," just noticeably different and depending on what you're going for and what you gravitate toward, your decision will become readily apparent. Until you get seat time in the 987 you will probably always have lingering doubts if you made the right call for you.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:19 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

This is a ridiculous discussion to have if you've never driven a 987. As others have said, spend 10 minutes behind the wheel of one and you will know in your gut which car you like better. Buying cars for me is a visceral / emotional experience. Intellect and numbers and $ appreciation/depreciation have little to nothing to do with it. If you love it and it speaks to you and you can afford to buy it, do it! Life is short, enjoy what you have and be thankful everyday.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:26 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
If you love it and it speaks to you and you can afford to buy it, do it! Life is short, enjoy what you have and be thankful everyday.
Amen!
Old 07-31-2017, 04:45 PM
tq.3z
Pro

My current car definitely speaks to me. I'll see about driving a 987.2 if I can find someone local willing to offer it up! Which I doubt given the rarity haha.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Two years ago at Werks Renunion, some guy had his 987 Spyder on the lawn off to the side. I'd never seen one up close. It was awesome. Could not stop staring at it or walk away. One of my favorite cars at the entire event.

I know, cool story bro, but you might find you still want to just wash it and look at it.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:01 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Ameer, hopefully you can join in on the next So Cal Spyder drive, in which case I suspect a 987 owner might be happy to experience your car in exchange for a chance to drive their car. But maybe do get out and drive yours more!
Old 07-31-2017, 06:41 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Thank you! I posted the car in classified just to see what kind of feelers I'd get but hoping I can drive some sense into myself. Thanks guys - either way I don't plan on leaving the spyder club. These cars are perfection.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Contemplating giving up 981 spyder for 987.2 - Am I crazy?