Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman 981s vs. 718

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:59 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 920 Likes on 531 Posts

i owned a boxter S for 6 months
and recently drove 718 base and 718 S extensively
when it comes to sound. There are 2 sounds that should be differentiated
1. what you hear on the inside
2. what you/other hear on the outside
me and my son when we checked out the 718 both base and s paid a lot of attention to both sounds
on the inside the difference between 981 S and 718 S is minimal. We were both surprised how much we liked it
on the outside is a different story
I did not end up buying the 718 because of the price , not because of the exhaust .
Do I prefer the flat six sound : absolutely
is the turbo sound horrible : no
Old 12-18-2017, 06:21 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
i owned a boxter S for 6 months
and recently drove 718 base and 718 S extensively
when it comes to sound. There are 2 sounds that should be differentiated
1. what you hear on the inside
2. what you/other hear on the outside
me and my son when we checked out the 718 both base and s paid a lot of attention to both sounds
on the inside the difference between 981 S and 718 S is minimal. We were both surprised how much we liked it
on the outside is a different story
I did not end up buying the 718 because of the price , not because of the exhaust .
Do I prefer the flat six sound : absolutely
is the turbo sound horrible : no

When I was looking for the Spyder that I eventually purchased, a local dealer showed me a 718 that they offered to make me a great deal on. Regarding the exhaust, it wasn't so much the note that turned me off (although it does sound a lot like a WRX) it was the lopiness of it. It idled like an old bug I used to own. Blup blup blup blup. That turned me off immediately. It did have nice interior door handles, though. ;-)
Old 12-20-2017, 11:52 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 864 Likes on 444 Posts

Buy a Cayman S. Add Car Graphics headers and a COBB accessport with a protune and you have 718 gts power at 365 hp and +40 ft/lbs of torque all over the rev band. You also get to keep that beautiful flat-six sound. When it test drove a 718 S, it was over as I pulled out of the dealership, accelerated, and shifted into second gear. Couldn't deal with the roughness and the flat-4 sound, but that is just me.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:16 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Buy a Cayman S. Add Car Graphics headers and a COBB accessport with a protune and you have 718 gts power at 365 hp and +40 ft/lbs of torque all over the rev band. You also get to keep that beautiful flat-six sound. When it test drove a 718 S, it was over as I pulled out of the dealership, accelerated, and shifted into second gear. Couldn't deal with the roughness and the flat-4 sound, but that is just me.
I think there are some variables here but I went with cargraphics SPORTS headers (as opposed to RACE - 200 cel vs none) & Cobb's OTS map (not interested in going more aggressive) and saw about a 7% improvement. That was same dyno, same time of day (with nearly exact humidity and barometric pressure), same temp (within 2 degrees), same tank of gas, obviously same car. I wasn't shooting for a number, wanted to see the 'delta' on my own car, for my own curiosity.

What was more interesting was that the improvement was ACROSS the band (no place where it dipped under stock). Also it smoothed out the delivery considerably - no significant 'dip' in that 3500 range...anyway, great cars...😁
Old 12-22-2017, 07:50 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

I had a Boxster S as a loaner and REALLY drove that thing. One of the best cars I've ever driven, if not the best overall "perfect for real world package." It's an engineering masterpiece. Perfectly powered for the real world (not too powerful, but very powerful, just right to have fun with but not get too fast too soon), second to none balance.

The problem? That sound. Oh, that sound. It was grating when I started it in the morning, nothing about it sounds high performance, expensive, smooth, mean, or exotic, imo. I personally prefer the must-rev higher powerband of the 3.4 as I feel like wringing it out to hear and feel that crescendo is more rewarding and keeps me engaged for a longer time than the 718 (which has a very fun torque kick, but after a while there isn't as much to "discover" about yourself, the car, or your connection to the car like the N/A motor provides). Still, the powerband of the 718 is excellent on a fundamental level. Even better than the turbo 3.0 flat six in the new Carreras perhaps (more sprightly and eager, but being in a more sprightly and eager chassis surely has a lot to do with that).

But.... that sound. It really is that bad, imo. And I already have enough of a 4 cylinder prejudice to where it's hard to justify a high expense. But that NVH (which I can live with in a sports car) mixed with the sound quality really dampens the buzz. Honestly, it wouldn't be THAT bad if it wasn't for going from one of the most brilliant sounding motors out there in the naturally breathing 3.4, to not just a turbo, and not just a 4, but a turbo 4. It's clear Porsche knew they HAD to make the car itself brilliant to pacify people on such a stark change.

I will give it ONE thing: It sounds more exotic and feels a lot better than an Inline 4. Not really high praise, but it's something.

All that said, I know it's cliche, but you "can't go wrong" with either. It just depends on what's more important to you. Though no doubt, the 981 will hold its value far better (IMO a future classic), if that matters to you.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:15 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,168 Posts

The 718 is a great ride but I will keep my 981GTS. As said a cobb and header change and you have a very fast capable car with the 981. All the sound and at least with mine and the lowered sport suspension an equally capable car for a heck of a lot less than a 718. You can extract a lot more power out of a 981 GTS than you can out of a 718. usually the turbo engines can be easily increased but unlike the 981's which were essentially detuned the 718 engines are close to their limits.

We have seen 365BHP on a mustang dyno with a header swap and Cobb on 981GTS's both boxster and cayman. One example is tracked extensively and the owner is outdriving 718S's all day long in his Cobb modified 981S both capable experienced drivers. Sound is incredible as well and with the sport exhaust you can tone it down a bit.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:23 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
^ Pretty much my experience too. I loved the new steering/interior/lights, but the sound killed me. You can make them sound less bad with exhausts, but it is not even close to the 981. See also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjn3aLUf-Po.

I'm not a 718 hater either, as anyone can see from my above posts; I liked the torque quite a lot. I just won't personally trade torque for sound/feel. We don't buy these cars for power. You can get much, much more power for your hard earned dollars from Corvettes and even the later BMW's, but you get the feel from Porsche. To me the 718 had less of that.

First time I listened to a 718, that’s awful. I am trying really hard not to be a backwards lodite but between the 718 and the Mission E, I will stick to my Metzger motor thanks.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:45 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by agdamis

First time I listened to a 718, that’s awful. I am trying really hard not to be a backwards lodite but between the 718 and the Mission E, I will stick to my Metzger motor thanks.
Sound is low on my list list of priorities for my cars. I much prefer performance, handling and exterior/interior styling. The 781 is superior to all the previous generations, in all those area. Personally, I like the sound of the 781, but even if I didn’t I would still choose the 781 over the 981 or 987 due to all the other improvements. It wasn't even a hard choice for me.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:28 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a matter of personal taste, I don't care for the spoiler tail light blend and I think the Porsche trend of making the rear bumper covers make/model rolling billboards is ugly. Superior is in the eye of the buyer. I also love the sport buckets which more than make up for any lack of the latest interior upgrades.

Last edited by terbiumactivated; 12-23-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:10 AM
jsykes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lajoiedp

Sound is low on my list list of priorities for my cars. I much prefer performance, handling and exterior/interior styling. The 781 is superior to all the previous generations, in all those area. Personally, I like the sound of the 781, but even if I didn’t I would still choose the 781 over the 981 or 987 due to all the other improvements. It wasn't even a hard choice for me.
Good, so you should enjoy what you like, but 718 owners should understand that other people DO place sound high on their lists. For me, if a sports car doesnt sound the part, then it doesnt do anything for me. Its a total package. it all places high on my list.

The Mustang GT sounds awesome, always has, but its a Mustang and the interior and other aspects of the car dont do anything for me.

I last owned a 2015 Audi S4. The supercharged engine and manual transmission were great, the car was fast, had a wonderful interior, it handled well and looked great. But it was quiet and numb in that department. Even with a louder exhaust it was not a sound I really liked. So I got rid of it. My prior S4 was the V8 and it sounded wonderful and was the entire package, should have never gotten rid of that one.

I thought about a Golf R, is a great car and a lot of fun to drive. But its a 4 cylinder turbo, hated the sound and hated the power delivery.

Its about the entire package, we all weigh what is important to us, if sound isnt to you, great, but people shouldnt crap on those that it is important to.

You also need to be careful when you say the car is "superior in every way." That is highly subjective. Aside from the sound/engine, I really dislike the look of the 718 as well. I, personally, think its a huge downgrade from the 981. I like the headlights better on the 981 and I do not like the front intakes, they are too straight across for my liking, they remind me of this:

I also dislike the spoiler and black molding between the lights. I do not think the back flows very well with that feature.

Lastly, I also dislike the new vents in the interior. I know many like them, but I do not, I think the 981 vents flow much better with the shape of the dash.

So even if it had the flat 6 in it, I'd still prefer the 981, thought I'd be a little less opposed to it. But, for me, its not just about the motor, its the package and I do not like it as much as the previous generation, even if it is slightly faster 0-60 or around a track. The 981 is still one of the best handling cars of all time, so its still way more car than I need and I'm perfectly ok with that.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:29 AM
pc4ever
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsykes

That's exactly how I looked when a buddy of mine took me for a first drive in his 900 hp GTR.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:57 AM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Good, so you should enjoy what you like, but 718 owners should understand that other people DO place sound high on their lists. For me, if a sports car doesnt sound the part, then it doesnt do anything for me. Its a total package. it all places high on my list.

The Mustang GT sounds awesome, always has, but its a Mustang and the interior and other aspects of the car dont do anything for me.

I last owned a 2015 Audi S4. The supercharged engine and manual transmission were great, the car was fast, had a wonderful interior, it handled well and looked great. But it was quiet and numb in that department. Even with a louder exhaust it was not a sound I really liked. So I got rid of it. My prior S4 was the V8 and it sounded wonderful and was the entire package, should have never gotten rid of that one.

I thought about a Golf R, is a great car and a lot of fun to drive. But its a 4 cylinder turbo, hated the sound and hated the power delivery.

Its about the entire package, we all weigh what is important to us, if sound isnt to you, great, but people shouldnt crap on those that it is important to.

You also need to be careful when you say the car is "superior in every way." That is highly subjective. Aside from the sound/engine, I really dislike the look of the 718 as well. I, personally, think its a huge downgrade from the 981. I like the headlights better on the 981 and I do not like the front intakes, they are too straight across for my liking, they remind me of this:

I also dislike the spoiler and black molding between the lights. I do not think the back flows very well with that feature.

Lastly, I also dislike the new vents in the interior. I know many like them, but I do not, I think the 981 vents flow much better with the shape of the dash.

So even if it had the flat 6 in it, I'd still prefer the 981, thought I'd be a little less opposed to it. But, for me, its not just about the motor, its the package and I do not like it as much as the previous generation, even if it is slightly faster 0-60 or around a track. The 981 is still one of the best handling cars of all time, so its still way more car than I need and I'm perfectly ok with that.
I’m glad you enjoy your 981. It’s a great car. But for ME, I much prefer the 718 overall. That’s exactly why we all have our own opinions. We all have a diffferent priority list when it comes to everything in life, including what we like in our sports cars. I test drive several 981’s and the overall experience didn’t do it for ME. But I’m happy it does for YOU. There are reasons why car manufacturers make more than one model of car - not everyone has the same need or taste.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:15 AM
lajoiedp
Instructor

if sound isnt to you, great, but people shouldnt crap on those that it is important to.
BTW, where in my post did I “crap on’ people who feel sound is a priority? If sound is a high priority for you then I can understand why you would choose the 981 over the 718. If you believe the interior and exterior look of the 981 is better than the 718 than the 981 is for you. My priorities and opinions are obviously completely opposite of yours. I’m okay with that. Why wouldn’t I be. I’m just expressing my opinion. I don’t expect everyone to have the same needs/wants. Neither does Porsche BTW. I drove a base 981 when I first started looking at the Cayman a year ago and hated the lack of low end torque so much I stopped considering the Cayman all together - until I read about the improved low end torque of the 718 (fact, not opinion). For ME, that combined with the availability of the Black/Bordeaux all leather interior did it.
Enjoy your 981. Great car!
Old 12-24-2017, 11:19 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post 80 sounded condescending, that's why I posted what I don't like about the 718. In truth we are all privileged to have ANY Porsche sports car. Hell they malign the 356 as the bathtub Porsche and that thing is a slug for performance, still I would love to own one.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:44 AM
JWYR
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Would an option like buying a base 981 and then spending the money to have it built to a 4.0 - 4.2 solve the low end torque? It seems like the largest advantage of the new 4 is low end torque. Increaseing displacement in the 6 would solve this. I have not ran the numbers, but a used early base 981 is a good value. After buying the base 981, you would have a lot left over before approaching the price of a new well optioned 718S. I was looking at new 718s last month. I came with in minutes of pulling the trigger. I loved the car, but something kept me from buying it. The 718S was $89k. For that range, I thought I would be better off ordering a GTS. Now I am in a holding pattern. I sticker shock has me refocused on building my current Porsche.

Quick Reply: Cayman 981s vs. 718