Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman 981s vs. 718

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:02 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 299 Posts

The dealership in St Louis has LOTS of 718's on the lot. Sitting for a long time.
In all the times I have been there over the last few years, I have only seen one 981.
This used 981 sold in one day!
Old 02-01-2018, 09:41 PM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lajoiedp
Funny, you also inadvertently, or perhaps purposely, forgot to mention that worldwide sales of the 781 were up in 2017.
On a global basis, 2017 sales were up 6% over 2016 sales.

"In addition to the Panamera, the 718 models have also significantly exceeded the previous year’s figures. Around 25,000 of the mid-engine sports cars were delivered, marking an increase of six per cent." Source PAG press release - Porsche again sets new records for deliveries.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:04 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RRDnA
On a global basis, 2017 sales were up 6% over 2016 sales.

"In addition to the Panamera, the 718 models have also significantly exceeded the previous year’s figures. Around 25,000 of the mid-engine sports cars were delivered, marking an increase of six per cent." Source PAG press release - Porsche again sets new records for deliveries.
Global sales uptick is thanks to China. China have no basis for what previous Porsche's felt like, and would buy a 2 cylinder if given the chance. Hardly a market inline with the desires of a U.S enthusiast market.

If U.S 718 sales slump to the point where they remove it from the market entirely, they can sell 1 million of them in China, unfortunately, it'd do nothing for us out here.
The following users liked this post:
D1coach (10-29-2019)
Old 02-02-2018, 01:06 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K-A
Global sales uptick is thanks to China. China have no basis for what previous Porsche's felt like, and would buy a 2 cylinder if given the chance. Hardly a market inline with the desires of a U.S enthusiast market.

If U.S 718 sales slump to the point where they remove it from the market entirely, they can sell 1 million of them in China, unfortunately, it'd do nothing for us out here.
Whether you want to be believe it or not, we are living in a Global economy, not a US only economy. Porsche is a global company, and will happily take sales wherever the "market" is for their vehicles and could care less what a few "enthusiast" in the US think.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by lajoiedp
Whether you want to be believe it or not, we are living in a Global economy, not a US only economy. Porsche is a global company, and will happily take sales wherever the "market" is for their vehicles and could care less what a few "enthusiast" in the US think.
Absolutely, and Porsche's real sports car sales are a small percentage of their business.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:12 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That 9__ is such a crap lemon clunker compared to the perfect 9__ I own whose unique qualities I will now cut and paste from a post to I saved in my bookmarks.

Seriously what was Porsche second rate engineering muppets thinking when they released the 9__?
Old 02-02-2018, 03:14 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Sadly we seem to be saying that the quest for speed, performance numbers, profits and fuel economy has neutered the sports car forever. What gave the marque its place in the record books is no longer relevant so long as someone buys it, good or not. Seems progress is not always a good thing and no doubt people are rolling over in their graves next to the philosophy that made the early cars so great.

Grab your classic now before these all become electric and completely drive themselves. Although we can be assured it will do it faster than we can.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:54 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Sadly we seem to be saying that the quest for speed, performance numbers, profits and fuel economy has neutered the sports car forever. What gave the marque its place in the record books is no longer relevant so long as someone buys it, good or not. Seems progress is not always a good thing and no doubt people are rolling over in their graves next to the philosophy that made the early cars so great.

Grab your classic now before these all become electric and completely drive themselves. Although we can be assured it will do it faster than we can.
I agree but to be fair, sports cars were in the process of being neutered long before now. Cars now have so many computer aids that neophyte drivers are emboldened to take their cars to the track, despite the fact that they have little idea of what they are doing. I know that I'm a dinosaur, but things were so much different when I became involved in racing in 1970. Back then you honed your skills on cars with less than 100 HP, and over the years graduated to more powerful cars. Nowadays many guys with lots of disposable cash start with a 500 HP Turbo S.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:59 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I agree but to be fair, sports cars were in the process of being neutered long before now. Cars now have so many computer aids that neophyte drivers are emboldened to take their cars to the track, despite the fact that they have little idea of what they are doing. I know that I'm a dinosaur, but things were so much different when I became involved in racing in 1970. Back then you honed your skills on cars with less than 100 HP, and over the years graduated to more powerful cars. Nowadays many guys with lots of disposable cash start with a 500 HP Turbo S.
I can't argue with a thing you said.. For me it was the mid 90's when it all started down hill no doubt others will say earlier. Maybe when threshold braking became a thing of the past, who knows. Car control has become a module instead of a skill.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:51 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Exactly. Even the new GT3 "manual" transmission has computer aids to allow full throttle upshifts and will blip on downshifts. Only difference between that and the PDK is the third peddle and the lever you use to shift with.
And of course the entire alphabet soup of driver aids - ABS, PSM, RWS, PTV, PDCC, etc, etc. . .
Old 02-02-2018, 05:11 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

As Jeremy Clarkson said, "it hasn't really got a soul" , "The sound track is terrible...it just makes noise", No personality and it is missing cylinders!

Whoops!!! He's talking about the new Ford GT!! My mistake. LOL ...At least I am in good company while I wait for my new 718 CGTS order to be built.

Let the whining continue...Porsche cars are frequently brilliant. The owners...not so much.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:05 PM
rsr552
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the reliability of the 718 engines compared to the 981 engines? Base and S

I know it's still early...but curious if there have been issues with the new engines.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:46 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Who would have ever thought people would label a 325+ hp modern lightweight sports car as inadequate. This thread is full of that. I would like to evaluate the driving skills of those who think they must have more power. This is what's laughable. I don't even scoff at people buying base models. At least they get to rev the motors a bit. All these cars have gotten more powerful than consumers require.

The market also overall seems to greatly favor low end torque. BMW ushered in the trend with their 335i. Nothing wrong with that although don't expect the same thrill on the upper end until the electric era. I don't find much need for additional low end torque as I'm not one to drive in a gear that lugs the motor, I don't desire to break traction in low gears, and I find torquey motors less involving. I spend most my time in 2-3-4 gears just zipping around for pleasure. If people know anything about gearing (multiplied torque) versus motor torque alone they'd know that the car driven in a lower gear will have more torque (force) on tap, all other things being relatively equal, therefore will win an acceleration contest. Yes, gearing erases the motor torque argument so many can't get beyond. It's not about engine output, but how that output is put to use.

Just last week at the 70th anniversary of Porsche's first car, Porsche stated the Mission E is the future of Porsche and will determine the brand's survival over the next 70 years. Performance will ever increase as it always has, whether it's NA, turbo, electric or combinations. Turbos are the present thanks to stringent emissions requirements. Where the 982 lands among other classic Porsches in 20 years remains to be seen, but it's not looking good thus far especially if it ends up being the only 4 cylinder stint in this production era. I'm reminded of the 993 to 996 transition. Porsche was at least semi-apologetic when they brought out the water cooled 996 knowing purists would reject it. Is the 982 in a similar situation? I'm glad people like the 982 and appreciate Porsche's efforts to refine the 981 platform. When it comes to Porsche older is mostly ALWAYS cooler, whether faster or not.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:03 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Absolutely, and Porsche's real sports car sales are a small percentage of their business.
True but sports cars are still their main passion and what the US market thinks does influence Porsche greatly and has for quite some time and probably always will. Is their another market as EV minded as the US? The Mission E is where Porsche is pouring in the R&D effort and has for the past 10 years. If Porsche can't lead the EV market they are in great trouble.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:14 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rsr552
How is the reliability of the 718 engines compared to the 981 engines? Base and S

I know it's still early...but curious if there have been issues with the new engines.
Porsche 6 cylinder NA DFI engines have shown great reliability (2009+). The new turbos haven't shown issues yet that I'm aware of, but now that tuners have cracked the ECU that will change. In stock form Porsche engines are very reliable these days. With safety margins removed I expect to see a lot of thrown rods. We seem to be a market where bragging rights are favored over reliability and driveability. FVD Brombacher in Germany employs Bosch/Siemens software engineers and offers mild tunes for the 981/S. The S power grows to 352 hp for $1300. Reliability is in tact as they don't remove any of the safety margins.

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD9811002...hp-291-tq.html

Quick Reply: Cayman 981s vs. 718