Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Independent Shop Suggestions in Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 05:12 PM
raconne2
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Independent Shop Suggestions in Phoenix

Hey all, so I have a 2006 Porsche Cayman S with its second bout of shifter cable issues (the first time occurred during a road trip). I've decided to go the Numeric Racing route with their more robust performance cables (because I've only heard incredible things). I'm not enough of a wrench to handle the install myself, so I'm looking for reputable shops around Phoenix that would do a good job without charging me a wild amount. Since I'm not going back to OEM, I want a trustworthy mechanic.

I'm familiar with Stuttgart Southwest in Tempe, but, after talking with the owner, it seemed like he had only worked on the shifter cables of a 987 once, and that was to replace the parts back to OEM. The shop is definitely more geared to air-cooled stuff. Plus, he's booked until the first week of August, so I'm looking for some additional options.

Okay, anyone with some suggestions (especially if you've had similar work done) would be amazing. Thanks in advance!

-Reese
Old 07-22-2017, 03:44 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

I've used Jack at SSW for air cooled stuff and he's great, but you're right, I think he does more of the older stuff and AC stuff.
I had McIlvain Motors do the coolant pipe pinning on my .2 GT3 which require R&R of the engine- he did a good job, so those cables should not be a problem. He was trained as dealer Porsche mechanic, and opened his own independent shop. He's in Tempe as well, not that far from SSW.
www.mcilvainmotors.com
Old 07-22-2017, 10:42 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Another vote for Scott at McIlvain motors. Could do about anything.
There is also Doug at Race Technik in Mesa. Does a lot of track mods & runs a few cup cars for guys.
And Beck's European in Scottsdale. Lots of air cooled cars there, but he also does track mods.

Depending on where you live, those would be my top three picks. Call each of them & decide.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:22 PM
raconne2
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[Update] I just gave each of the shops a call. Based on location and the conversation I had, I think I am opting for McIlvain Motors. They're only a few miles away and they just did the exact job I'm requesting last week (with Numeric Racing cables and all), and they quoted me at fewer hours than what's suggested, which is absolutely fine by me.

You guys are awesome, so thank you skl and Dr.Bill!
Old 03-05-2018, 11:13 PM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I know this is the cayman forum, but I need some maintenance done on my 08 cayenne GTS and figured it might be better to bump this thread then create another.

Anybody have any good Indy recommendations in Phoenix or Scottsdale?

i used Independent automotive services for my Audi, and while it was zero frills they seemed to be pretty knowledgeable.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:17 PM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Responding to my own inquiry. I went with Scott at M motors noted above and the experience was great! Will be my go to shop goin fwd.

Quick Reply: Independent Shop Suggestions in Phoenix