Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Learning process

Old 07-20-2017, 05:09 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPMS Learning process

how long does it take porsche 981 tpms to learn pressure fillup?
Old 07-20-2017, 06:49 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you mean read the updated pressures? Should be less than a mile, when sensors send the actual pressures to the TPMS module. It typically is like 2 psi less than actual, but you should notice the difference within a mile of rolling the car. Forgot what's the speed sensors start transmitting, but it's low, something like 15 mph or so. If you leave the car warming up for a while, it might update even without rolling (don't remember if this car does that or not). But for sure within a mile. If you swapped sensors, I believe you need to 'reset' the system from the TPMS menu first, but don't remember for sure. Check the manual if that's the case. Hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:46 AM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Issue solved: It didn't "learn" after more than 100 miles. There is no TPMS system 'reset' as far as I can find in the manual or car. BUT, changed tire type to 'winter' and back to 'summer' and magically the system relearned the pressures and was satisfied enough to turn of the idiot messages! Fingers crossed.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:23 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ecobb993
BUT, changed tire type to 'winter' and back to 'summer' and magically the system relearned the pressures
THAT is the reset, now that I remember. Ha ha. So it's not in the manual? Thought it was. Must have read it here. Will now write it on my service history, in case I forget. Glad it solved your issue. Hopefully permanently. Take care.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPMS Learning process