Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

life with boxster GTS since i did not get spyder

Old 07-09-2017, 01:24 AM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default life with boxster GTS since i did not get spyder

I have over a year with a boxster GTS. Beautiful western Canadian days have allowed top down weather all most every day.
I had tried to get a spyder when they were released but my dealer did not follow an honorable chronological list. I lost out.
the spyders in Canada went from $110k to 140K
now at that price they are in a different price/value league. A new 911 s is around the same price.

I was fortunate to acquire a 2015 boxster GTS manual for $89K cad dollars

I can tell you that I have really been enjoying it. I think the sports exhaust is just intoxicating.

I think the GTS has been a good replacement for the spyder but looking for some rennlist opinions

The power top has been very quick and easy and I think how would the spyder compare in the cases where the top up/down convenience
Old 07-09-2017, 02:38 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Sorry to hear you got the run around from your dealer on the Spyder. You are not alone. My promised allocation got yanked out from under me by my favored dealer, which left me scrambling to lock in on something with another dealer with whom I had no prior relationship. Luckily it worked out, but just as easily I could be singing the same tune as you.

I would say don't look back on the Spyder. You've got the GTS and it sounds like you're totally happy with it. It's an amazing car that many would kill to own and drive.

From what other Canadian forum members have posted, there are very few Spyders on the market so pickings are slim and when they do become available they are selling at a significant premium. For probably 95% of the typical driving most of us do, I don't think the performance envelope between the GTS and Spyder is great enough to justify the current price spread. I know there are factors other than performance that come into play here and, yes, the Spyder is special, but so is the GTS. It's hardly a slouch! Far from it, as you know better than most.

I would say hang on to your money, hang on to your GTS, and continue to enjoy the car. The GTS should hold its value nicely and no doubt the convenience factor with the top skews heavily in its favor.

In a few years, maybe see if the 982 Spyder is to your liking and, if so, run - don't walk - to secure a car, but don't dare give your business to the stealer that done ya' wrong. Go to their biggest competitor
Old 07-09-2017, 08:31 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by H82BL8
I have over a year with a boxster GTS. Beautiful western Canadian days have allowed top down weather all most every day.
I had tried to get a spyder when they were released but my dealer did not follow an honorable chronological list. I lost out.
the spyders in Canada went from $110k to 140K
now at that price they are in a different price/value league. A new 911 s is around the same price.

I was fortunate to acquire a 2015 boxster GTS manual for $89K cad dollars

I can tell you that I have really been enjoying it. I think the sports exhaust is just intoxicating.

I think the GTS has been a good replacement for the spyder but looking for some rennlist opinions

The power top has been very quick and easy and I think how would the spyder compare in the cases where the top up/down convenience
Nice you're enjoying you car, and I've never driven the GTS but I read it's a fine car. I searched for a Spyder for aover a month, and my dealer had a trade in on the perfect spec. I called my guy and home, and said I will see you in the morning you open at 0900. We got to a fair deal, and I know I got it for less than the others offered. Long story but I met him and the GM and basically said I have purchased 4 Porsche's in 4 years 991S, GT3, GT3RS and now a Spyder if they cut the deal. They have gotten 50% of the purchases and I asked for a loyalty discount on the Spyder which check book in hand. Faith was renewed in the dealer and their local. They could have taken the higer offers, but they kept a enthusiastic owner that will buy more!

Sorry about the long sales rant. Now the top had me intimidated because it's manual with the only electric part is locking the latch or unlocking the latch. I've gotten down to less than two minutes, and not difficult after a couple of times. I can say for me the Spyder is a special care with 800 being in the US addition to the 3.8L 911S motor it's a treat to drive. Love the weight at 2900 lbs it's a keeper for me.

Last edited by Maverick787; 07-10-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:21 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Love the weight at 2900 lbs it's a keeper for me.
Hate to burst you bubble, but in your dreams. Ha ha. That's the 'dry' weight, meaning can't drive it like that. No fluids of any kind, no battery, no manuals, etc. Your car curb weight (meaning full of fluids, but empty) by a reputable magazine was almost 3,150 lbs, basically like my fully-optioned Cayman GTS, I believe. Remember the 3.8 lump is heavier than my 3.4, as well as the larger brakes. Still considered a light car, so no worries. Hey, if you don't believe me, an actual owner weighed his car on this thread (go to post 5) at 3,127 lbs: http://www.planet-9.com/981-boxster-...le-weight.html . Depends on the options. My GTS is supposed to weight right above 3,000, but I have the heavy sofas, electric steering column, PTV, PSE, etc. At least the leather is not any heavier than the ugly plastic, which is great.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:16 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Hate to burst you bubble, but in your dreams. Ha ha. That's the 'dry' weight, meaning can't drive it like that. No fluids of any kind, no battery, no manuals, etc.
The Spyder's curb weight is listed as 2,899 lbs. by Porsche and based on the definition below that does include all fluids:

"Curb weight
is the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables such as motor oil, transmission oil, coolant, air conditioning refrigerant, and sometimes a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo."

As you say, the actual weight depends on the options. The 2,899 lb. curb weight quoted for the Spyder would be for a car equipped with LWBs, PCCBs, small fuel tank, radio delete, A/C delete, etc., which, admittedly, is not how most Spyders are spec'd.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:09 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Hate to burst you bubble, but in your dreams. Ha ha. That's the 'dry' weight, meaning can't drive it like that. No fluids of any kind, no battery, no manuals, etc. Your car curb weight (meaning full of fluids, but empty) by a reputable magazine was almost 3,150 lbs, basically like my fully-optioned Cayman GTS, I believe. Remember the 3.8 lump is heavier than my 3.4, as well as the larger brakes. Still considered a light car, so no worries. Hey, if you don't believe me, an actual owner weighed his car on this thread (go to post 5) at 3,127 lbs: http://www.planet-9.com/981-boxster-...le-weight.html . Depends on the options. My GTS is supposed to weight right above 3,000, but I have the heavy sofas, electric steering column, PTV, PSE, etc. At least the leather is not any heavier than the ugly plastic, which is great.
Oh my ....it's for sale now you want to buy it ........thanks for the enlightenment(:
Old 07-10-2017, 04:04 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

You got a power top?!?!?!?

And here I've been manually raising and lowering mine like a sucker!
Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2017, 04:14 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
The Spyder's curb weight is listed as 2,899 lbs. by Porsche.
Those last 2 words are the problem. Show me a certified scale receipt and then I'd believe you, but my guess is you want to keep believing you car is 2,900 lbs. Ha ha. Anyway, Ferrari does the same thing, their cars always weighing at least 200 lbs more than listed. Don't know how those 2 in particular can get away with that, but it's proven they do. Even if a completely stripped car weighed that (still doubt it), I bet they didn't sell a single one like that (zero options and A/C plus radio delete), so that weight is completely unrealistic. To each his own though.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Love the weight at 2900 lbs it's a keeper for me.
Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
The Spyder's curb weight is listed as 2,899 lbs. by Porsche and based on the definition below that does include all fluids:

"Curb weight
is the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables such as motor oil, transmission oil, coolant, air conditioning refrigerant, and sometimes a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo."

As you say, the actual weight depends on the options. The 2,899 lb. curb weight quoted for the Spyder would be for a car equipped with LWBs, PCCBs, small fuel tank, radio delete, A/C delete, etc., which, admittedly, is not how most Spyders are spec'd.
Oh my ....it's for sale now you want to buy it ........thanks for the enlightenment(:
Those last 2 words are the problem. Show me a certified scale receipt and then I'd believe you, but my guess is you want to keep believing you car is 2,900 lbs. Ha ha. Anyway, Ferrari does the same thing, their cars always weighing at least 200 lbs more than listed.
Well.....not scientific, but I know I can bench 2900. I've benched my spyder so......
Old 07-10-2017, 04:51 PM
Boxster7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry about the long sales rant. Now the top had me intimidated because it's manual with the only electric part is locking the latch or unlocking the latch. I've gotten down to less than two minutes, and not difficult after a couple of times. I can say for me the Spyder is a special care with 800 being in the US addition to the 3.8L 911S motor it's a treat to drive. Love the weight at 2900 lbs it's a keeper for me.
Hi Maverick
Just a note on the top.
Not sure if you know this yet, but when putting the top up, you can pull it up to the windscreen, then press and hold the lock button on the key fob. The hood will latch on and the side windows go up, without having to get beck into the car.
You should be good for a 40 sec job then :-)
Old 07-10-2017, 09:33 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Boxster7
Hi Maverick
Just a note on the top.
Not sure if you know this yet, but when putting the top up, you can pull it up to the windscreen, then press and hold the lock button on the key fob. They hood will latch on and the side windows go up, without having to get beck into the car.
You should be good for a 40 sec job then :-)
Thanks love the tip will go try it in the garage.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:42 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Thanks love the tip will go try it in the garage.
Damn just tried must not be a feature in the U.S.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:42 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
You got a power top?!?!?!?

And here I've been manually raising and lowering mine like a sucker!
You guys crack me up.

Is there an argument about vehicle weights? really?

Lets start adding driver weight to the equation......Then we can compare TRUE power to weight.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:56 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 570 Posts

Yes - to quote Afshin - you can spend $2000 on a light-weight battery or just cut out the Twinkies. Your choice.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:22 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Lets start adding driver weight to the quation......Then we can compare TRUE power to weight.
Yep, good one. I'm 160# in a good day, so even with all the options tacked on to my weight, I'm probably lighter than most American folks... especially my age.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: life with boxster GTS since i did not get spyder