Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you guys use a battery tender?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 04:09 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
I've had a shumacher for more than ten years, never had an issue they're about $34 clams

Shumacher's aren't fancy enough.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:48 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL well you better order some some Porsche caliper stickers for that unit you purchased. Look at us charging Spyders with non factory equipment, good way to get bounced from the PCA
Old 12-15-2017, 07:51 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a shumacher for more than ten years, never had an issue they're about $34 clams
What's a landlocked guy (or gal) to do?
Old 12-15-2017, 07:58 PM
VirgilKane
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlamsteadHill
What's a landlocked guy (or gal) to do?
they can use moolah or schemolians.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:14 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Or barter with Ben & Jerry's
Old 12-16-2017, 10:32 PM
ghartke
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Knowing that my right arm was going to be immobilized for an extended period due to shoulder surgery, I asked my Porsche service manager if I would need a battery tender for my 2014 Cayman S with MT. He said that I would absolutely need one if the car was going to sit for more than 3 or 4 weeks and, further, told me not to plug it into the cig lighter because it would disconnect after 15 minutes. He told me to make sure I plug it into the receptacle in the passenger side footwell because that one stays active. I bought a CTEK MUS 4.3 plus the adapter needed for the receptacle and after 7 weeks, it seems to be doing exactly what it's supposed to do (according to the display). FWIW, I'm finally going to disconnect the tender and fire up the car tomorrow. 'Bout time. It's been a lo-o-o-o-ong 7 weeks.

Regards,

Greg
Old 12-17-2017, 12:19 AM
Jedi
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

For what it’s worth, I had my vehicle parked with a CTEK maintainer hooked up. Just happened to open the frunk for some reason to find that the battery had exploded. It created quite a mess, insurance has covered it, but I’m still out $300-400. It’s in the shop getting fixed right now, probably has $1000 damage.

I’m not sure of the cause, whether it was a short in the battery or the CTEK malfunctioned and overcharged the battery causing the explosion.

I’m thinking from now on to remove the battery from vehicles or boats that might be sitting for awhile, don’t want to go through this again.

Last edited by Jedi; 12-17-2017 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Edit out Boxster and put the word vehicle in place of
Old 12-17-2017, 10:11 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

I check the battery vent at year end for any obstruction, leave the frunk open a foot and check it frequently while it's sleeping. It's right next to the truck so it's not like the old days for me when my Porsche was at the 24x24 garage at my rental.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:12 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

...leave the frunk open a foot...
Does the light turn off after X minutes?
Old 12-17-2017, 03:37 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

I remove the bulb for winter it's an easy press fit, that little sucker can get hot though so don't leave it on a while before removal
The following users liked this post:
pop.tremuloides (05-23-2020)
Old 12-17-2017, 07:04 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

I remove the bulb for winter it's an easy press fit...
Duh...

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2017, 11:16 PM
various cheeses
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedi
For what it’s worth, I had my vehicle parked with a CTEK maintainer hooked up. Just happened to open the frunk for some reason to find that the battery had exploded. It created quite a mess, insurance has covered it, but I’m still out $300-400. It’s in the shop getting fixed right now, probably has $1000 damage.

I’m not sure of the cause, whether it was a short in the battery or the CTEK malfunctioned and overcharged the battery causing the explosion.

I’m thinking from now on to remove the battery from vehicles or boats that might be sitting for awhile, don’t want to go through this again.

Uh oh. I usually keep mine hooked up to a CTEK just for the hell of it, since it sometimes will sit for 2-3 days straight. Maybe I shouldn't do that huh?
Old 12-19-2017, 08:22 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Cheese, the battery tenders are designed not to over charge the battery. When functioning correctly they only begin charging a full battery after it loses charge to a given threshold. So a few days on the Ctek should be absolutely fine. Mine has been on the Schumaker for more than a week now. Now in the old days what one did want to avoid was using a standard battery charger and "cooking" the battery by overcharging it that way. We had a Snap-on fast charger on wheels, thing was a beast, it would have been an easy day to go overboard with such a unit. An hour tops was more than enough but that charger was far more powerful than a trickle charger and had no ability to shut itself off other than a timer.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:54 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Jedi, sorry to hear of your misfortune.

My BGTS has been hooked to a CTEK for nearly 3 years with zero issues except my car starts everytime, only gets driven a couple times a month. Plugged into cigarette lighter socket which stays energized as long as you plug it in before it goes to sleep. If you have a power outage and your car goes to sleep, you will need to wake it up again for the cigarette lighter socket to wake up and stay connected (with Entry and Drive that's how it works). Learned expensive lesson letting previous Cayman S battery run down once too often. Keep Harley plugged in too as it sits for long spells during the winter. Discharged batteries sulfate / die an early death.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:54 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've used the CTEK chargers during storage periods (winter) of up to 3 months with no issues. My understanding is that the recommendation is not just to start the car for a few minutes, turn off, then reconnect to charger, since condensation can cause engine damage. Once started, the car should be run up to normal operating temperature and driven prior to reconnecting to the charger.

Quick Reply: Do you guys use a battery tender?