Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inconsistant ticking noise... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 11:22 AM
AustinSedz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inconsistant ticking noise... HELP!

I was hoping someone with some more experience could offer some input to diagnose a ticking sound I am hearing from my engine bay.

09 Cayman 2.9 (base), 6spd manual.
Approx 120k (75k miles).
All service up to date, about 2000km since last oil change.

I pulled most of my interior out of the car to get it refinished, so I've been driving around without trunk trim or plastics in the back, so every engine noise is much more audible at the moment.

I'm used to hearing the injectors and valves, since they are right behind me, however I've noticed a new sound that I am slightly concerned of.

The sound is a lifter-like ticking sound, however quite a bit louder than the regular tapping I am used to. If it IS in fact a lifter, it is only one of them.
The sound only appears at idle, when the car is not moving.

I will pull up to a light or stop, and the car will reach idle. After a few seconds (a good 3-5 second count) I begin to hear the Tick tick tick tick tick, which I believe it to be consistent with idle revs. The first couple ticks may be quiet but then it reaches a constant volume after a couple ticks. If I lightly tap the throttle, the ticking will speed up, however as soon as I begin driving or the revs climb above 2-2.5k, the sound disappears and cannot be heard.

Also, when sitting at idle, SOMETIMES the ticking may go tick, tick, tick, tick, for 5-10 seconds then suddenly begin to speed up (not consistent with the RPM) and then eventually the sound will disappear for a short while, then it may return again at the previous slow and consistent tick, tick, tick, tick.

The sound occurs often, but isn't produced 100% of the time I'm resting at idle. I'd say I hear it about 75% of the times I stop in traffic for over 5 seconds.

The sound does not sound metallic but is noticeably louder than the regular churning of the injectors and lifters that I hear as well.

Pressing or releasing the clutch has no effect, putting the car in gear with the clutch pressed has no effect, if I'm near-idle crawling in first this does not make the sound go away, only when I get up to driving-revs. Turning ac on/off has no effect, and neither does turning the blower fan on/off.

I haven't had a chance to pull the engine cover off to see where the sound is coming from, but it sounds like it is coming from higher up in the bay, I would not say it is closer to the driver or passenger side specifically.

I was wondering if anyone had ever experienced something like this before and had some ideas.... I can try to capture an audio clip later today.

All help would be appreciated!
Old 06-26-2017, 11:38 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Oil has 2000km on it. That's ok. I assume you are using an approved oil and the oil level is good?

If I had to make a guess based on what you wrote I'd say the noise is coming from the accessory drive. Possibly something -- piece of paper/plastic -- is caught in the belt or caught in a pulley.

(This happened to my Boxster a while back. Everything was fine when I stopped for a quick bite to eat before continuing to the office. Upon engine restart there was a noise like a ticking. Drove the couple of blocks to the office and debated what to do. Decided to call and have the car flat bedded to the dealer. Tow truck came and I started the engine and with the noise still present positioned the car and then it was pulled onto the truck and off we went to the dealer. At the dealer the car was lowed to the ground and with the SA and senior tech present I started the engine.... No noise. Gone. At my request tech did a thorough check of the accessory drive system and found nothing amiss. I drove the car 30 minutes to as near I could duplicate the usage the car got just before it manifested the noise. No noise. Took the car back and have used it almost every day since. The noise has not returned. SA and tech both told me they get this once in a while, about 5 or 6 times a year. A customer comes in with a noise complaint like I did and the noise is not reproduceable or it is and the tech finds something relatively harmless in the accessory drive.)

Check the accessory drive for any trash or what have you.

Then put all the interior sound deadening/insulation back in the car.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:58 PM
AustinSedz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil is German Castrol 0w-40, with all the Porsche cert codes on the bottle.
Oil level was good when I checked it last.

I'll pop off the firewall cover tonight and take a look in the belts to see that everything is clear of debris. If there is nothing I can find and the sound is still there, I'll record a video and post it for better help in diagnosis.

Thank you for your help!

Quick Reply: Inconsistant ticking noise... HELP!