Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1C2 vs Boxster GTS. Pro's/cons?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 10:16 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts
Default 991.1C2 vs Boxster GTS. Pro's/cons?

Been weighing options between a 981 Boxster GTS and a very base 991.1 Coupe. They seem to be hovering around a similar sale price. I'm quite tall so headroom is a big factor, and I can only fit in a 911 with no sunroof. In that respect, the Boxster is a little more friendly to my height (I won't consider a 991 cab, only hardtop) and much easier to locate.

Another big factor working for the 981 GTS is remaining warranty, as the 991's I'm looking at are mostly '13's and '14's.

A few main questions I have;

-Performance. Which is a "faster" car, power is close (is the 20 HP negligible?), but also all out handling? I imagine the 981 GTS will feel much more fun and visceral with the sport chrono, sport exhaust, PASM, etc. (I'm talking no performance options on the 991 I'm looking at).

-Upkeep.

-Resale. What do you guys anticipate or predict will hold its value better in near, and long term? A 981 Boxster GTS or base 991.1 Carrera? Considering both have equal transmissions and miles. I'm leaning on the GTS, especially being the last of the N/A flat 6 (same as the 911, but the new 911's are still F6, albeit turbo). Imo any N/A Flat 6 will eventually be resale protected, but I'm trying to rationalize which more so.

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:21 AM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would decide based on whether you want a coupe or convertible.

However My initial thought is boxster will be more zippy and fun to drive. 911 will be more comfortable, roomy, and better for long trips. I think most would say 911 is all out faster but 981 is more confidence inspiring and easier to drive fast.

I think upkeep is negligible.

I think boxster will feel more special/exotic with all the GTS options. Im not sure on resale boxster GTS should hold its value ok but the spyder will keep it from being really special and i would imagine a base 911 wouldnt hold its value at all but it will always sell because "911" Im a coupe guy so i would get the 911 however if i was in your situation and liked both i would get the GTS.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:33 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Does you wants a convertible or not?
I'm a top down guy.
Gotta say, I started out with 911s, but after owning a GT4 and now a Spyder, I'm a mid engine convert. No comparison in the handling. A lot of the price you pay for the 911 is the engineer's salaries who spend an inordinate amount of time trying to overcome the laws of nature.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

You're welcome.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:52 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogi911

However My initial thought is boxster will be more zippy and fun to drive. 911 will be more comfortable, roomy, and better for long trips. I think most would say 911 is all out faster but 981 is more confidence inspiring and easier to drive fast.

I think boxster will feel more special/exotic with all the GTS options. Im not sure on resale boxster GTS should hold its value ok but the spyder will keep it from being really special and i would imagine a base 911 wouldnt hold its value at all but it will always sell because "911" Im a coupe guy so i would get the 911 however if i was in your situation and liked both i would get the GTS.
Plus 1 except for being a coupe guy. I totally appreciate the top down experience on nice days but I love coupe's too.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:22 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Yogi911

Oddly enough, I can do a vert or coupe. I generally hate verts but I love the Boxster and really enjoyed the visceral nature matched with the top down effect on the 718 S I drove. I just couldn't get past the sound.

It really comes down to total package for me, warranty is a factor, resale factor helps, etc. Basically meaning I'm smitten enough with both cars that I can rely on the logistics side to make the decision (because they both by default stroke my passions well enough, though probably the GTS more in pure driving engagement, especially with PSE and PASM).

I do agree that the Boxster GTS will feel
more exotic. While the 911 more prestigious. I know this has probably been asked over and over again, but anyone have good experiences with 3rd party warrantys on 991's?

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Good video. I'm wondering how close the GTS would get, but I imagine the 911 will still have the edge. That answers my question as to all out handling between a a base suspension 991.1 and PASM Boxster. Though I imagine the wheels/tires of the 911 help in grip
considerably as well.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by K-A

Good video. I'm wondering how close the GTS would get, but I imagine the 911 will still have the edge. That answers my question as to all out handling between a a base suspension 991.1 and PASM Boxster. Though I imagine the wheels/tires of the 911 help in grip
considerably as well.
Apples/oranges comparison. I owned a 991 C2S with all the performance options at the same time I owned a 981 CS and a 981 Spyder. All great cars, but the 991 was quicker and more composed down a twisty mountain road than either of the 981s. The 981s felt more go-karty, but the 991 just goes down the road better in all respects. The difference in grip coming off the corners is very noticeable, though my 991 has the wider option rears.

The thing I most notice in that video I linked to is how much more composed the 991 chassis appears on track than the 981.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:46 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The 911 has multi-link suspension in the rear, the Boxster a simple struct. If you have any kind of bump in the road/track while you try to turn the car then the struct will mean that camber is all over the place, meaning you balance on tire edges a lot more.

All Boxsters except the 981 Spyder are power-crippled, deliberately kept below pretty much all 911 models.

On the other hand the GTS always has SC and PSE, either X73 or PASM, and almost always either full leather or alcantara.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:59 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Been weighing options between a 981 Boxster GTS and a very base 991.1 Coupe.
I'm also looking at similar a Cayman GTS vs. 991.1 alternatives... Drove the GTS quite a bit and really loved it.

-Performance. Which is a "faster" car, power is close (is the 20 HP negligible?), but also all out handling? I imagine the 981 GTS will feel much more fun and visceral with the sport chrono, sport exhaust, PASM, etc. (I'm talking no performance options on the 991 I'm looking at).
I think the Cayman's win in handling hands down... The mid engine design just allows the car to rotate almost telepathically. Add the optioned PASM sport mode vs. base springs on a 991, even bigger difference. You don't mention if you are looking for PDK or manual, but the combination of manual, sport chrono, sport exhaust really makes you feel like you are driving a sports car! On power, I'm more comparing 991.1 S's to 981 GTS's, and the torque advantage of the 991 S is apparent. But that is only one aspect of 'performance'.

-Upkeep.
Negligible difference. Other than the warranty coverage of course... Some things are easier in the mid engine cars, some things are easier on the rear engine car, parts costs are about the same.

-Resale. What do you guys anticipate or predict will hold its value better in near, and long term?
GTS 991's are holding phenomenal resale value, stronger than the 981 GTS versions, but the 981 GTS's are holding value more than 9x1 base or 9x1 S cars.

You'll hear this a million times, but it's very true. Drive both. Real test drive, not around the block at the dealer. The answer will often be pretty clear...

other intangibles...
You didn't ask this, but I'm answering anyway... The Cayman GTS I looked at with the GTS interior was a very special feeling car when inside... Leather, Alcantara, carbon fiber everywhere. Blows away a base partial leather 991 interior. Now a 991 GTS interior is equally special, but hard to find one right now for less than $105K and that's just way outside my budget.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:31 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Personally, I think both cars are enjoyable to drive so to try and make a buying decision on that characteristic will be tough. A month or so back I test drove a brand new 991.2 and loved it BUT... also loved my 981 Cayman when I got back into it for the drive home. The 991 is a BIGGER car etc... but IMO hard to justify the price jump.

So for me, the decision comes down to Coupe vs Cab. Now THIS is a BIG difference and I can tell you right now that with the weather being warm I miss the top off option.

The Boxster is a GREAT car and the better value for the money. It's a great daily driver, lots of usable storage space (vs the back seats in the 991), fun to drive, and a convertible top system that is well worked out. And the 981 styling is down right sexy.

Keep us posted. You'll not really go wrong with either of your choices. Good luck on your hunt!
Old 06-25-2017, 06:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by pfbz

I think the Cayman's win in handling hands down... The mid engine design just allows the car to rotate almost telepathically.
The thing though is, they don't. Because there's more to how a car handles than simply where the engine is placed. The go karty feel of the 981 can make it feel like the car is more lively, but the 911 still gets around the corners faster than any Cayman.

Just at look at that video. That's a base suspended base 911 spanking a 981S on a course that should favor the 981. What you see in that video is exactly what I experienced during ownership of both. The 981 is a fun flickable feeling car, but the 991 just gets the job done better. And I'm not knocking the 981, I loved both of them that I owned. But the idea that they out handle the 991 is a fallacy.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:05 PM
K-A
Drifting

Thanks for the insights! It's a tough one indeed....

Quick Reply: 991.1C2 vs Boxster GTS. Pro's/cons?