Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder quality control

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 07:51 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Some figures for North America to back that up (all derived from the Spyder and GT4 databases):

Of the 830 Spyders listed in the Spyder database, only about 187 have LWBs (just 23% of all Spyders). Compare that to the GT4 where LWBs appear in 57% of the cars.Congrats! I know you were debating between 987 and 981 Spyders.

FYI:

There were only approx. 114 cars made for North America in GT Silver w/Spyder Classic Interior. Of those 114 cars, only 38 have LWBs so you landed a pretty rare find, indeed.

Glad your persistence paid off. Enjoy!
Really? There are only 38 silver on the classic interior with LWBin the US?… Damn I feel kind of special now driving down the road...
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2017, 08:18 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have had mine for 18 months
6k miles of which bunch are track miles
Just put New rotors and pads on, easy dyi job and not expensive on a relative basis

Only issue I Had was one coil go bad covered under warranty
Old 06-24-2017, 09:04 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm approaching 4K miles with no issues. The one issue I had was fixed on warranty: during delivery some knucklehead sat in the driver's seat with a screw driver in their back pocket marring the leather on the seat back.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:37 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

What does the classic interior consist of? Just LWB's?
Old 06-24-2017, 11:53 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
LWB were a separate option from the classic interior.

Classic interior was garnet red leather, black alcantara and GT silver painted trim pieces.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:03 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Sound like 981 Spyder is a solid car to have, living on small island with average temperatures in the 80s make me want to get one for sunny weekend drives. Let's the hunt continue, anyone want to sell their Spyder? Please send me a PM.
White with Spyder classic interior is a plus and 18 ways sport seat.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:01 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

K
Originally Posted by gotgolf52
Sound like 981 Spyder is a solid car to have, living on small island with average temperatures in the 80s make me want to get one for sunny weekend drives. Let's the hunt continue, anyone want to sell their Spyder? Please send me a PM.
White with Spyder classic interior is a plus and 18 ways sport seat.
I agree with everything you said, and even though I generally like to help out when I can, in this case the car's not for sale. When you find one, you'll love it. The top is quirky, but that's about the only gripe. Small gripe at that.
Sorry. Meant to post photo, please ignore build sheet, but it's exactly what you're looking for.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
White Boxster Spyder.pdf (824.5 KB, 172 views)
Old 06-24-2017, 10:21 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
K

I agree with everything you said, and even though I generally like to help out when I can, in this case the car's not for sale. When you find one, you'll love it. The top is quirky, but that's about the only gripe. Small gripe at that.
Sorry. Meant to post photo, please ignore build sheet, but it's exactly what you're looking for.
Great Build!!
Old 06-25-2017, 01:10 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey

FYI:

There were only approx. 114 cars made for North America in GT Silver w/Spyder Classic Interior. Of those 114 cars, only 38 have LWBs so you landed a pretty rare find, indeed.
I didn't realize that. They must all live in CA

Oh - and no issues here to date.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:27 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love ours....flawless since new. 4k miles, one track event with the wife driving it.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:45 PM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts

I love mine too. I have had it for nearly 6 months now and have put 2000 miles on it already!
Old 06-25-2017, 05:52 PM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts

LWBS
Old 06-26-2017, 05:50 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
From the Spyder hardcopy brochure/catalog:

At an option price of just $2,590, I think the Spyder Classic interior was one of the all-time steals. Porsche left money on the table when they priced this bespoke-in-appearance interior option. Certainly not like them!

And, as noted in the brochure, the red interior traces its lineage to the racing Spyders of yore:

Plus, it should be noted that the Garnet Red leather in the Spyder Classic interior is a "natural" leather and thus a cut above the "base" leather seats otherwise offered in the Spyder.

As posted previously, here's Eduardo's explanation of the difference between "base" vs "natural" Porsche leathers:

"Leather is a starting point for a car manufacturer. With the base leather, the leather is stretched and the outer layer is sanded off and a new grain is embossed into it to make it more uniform. This increases the porosity of the leather when the outside is sanded off and it accepts color better. However, it doesn't hold up as well unless a sealer is applied. So the "leather" interior is considerably changed from its natural state. It is now thinner, uniform in both grain and color, and sealed against UV and infrared damage from the sun, making it suitable for an automobile use. Since it is stretched thinner you don't notice that it is slightly stiffer.

Natural leather is not stretched. It is natural thickness and has the natural grain still intact. It is tumble dyed in large drums that constantly roll and knead it to get it to accept the color. This softens it much like you would soften a dry chamois by kneading it. It retains the natural, saddle-like leather smell without adding synthetic aromas. The comfort, if you took the time to compare it, is obvious to the educated rear end. Even though less is done to cure leather this way, it is still more expensive since you get fewer square feet of leather out of a hide. The UV and infrared sealants are introduced into the leather while it is tumbling in the dye soaked drums and like the dye, is soaked all the way through the leather rather than added with the sealant."

Sum up: Custom bespoke appearance, historically correct tie-in to the Spyder's rich racing heritage, and highest-grade premium leather, all at an extremely reasonable price compared to many Porsche options.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:58 PM
Dicknose
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't heard of any common problems or recalls.
The only issue was the roof latch, they issued an extra manual explaining how to make sure it was correctly secured. So not a mechanical fault, more a few cases of operator error.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:45 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Just drove to the Grand Canyon in a Spyder for the 3rd time, and not a problem. I've done 30k miles in two Spyders doing mostly Cross Country driving - I think I'm the spyder ambassador for the USA lol

I got the LWB in Black and the Sport Seats in Classic Interior and I have to say that I'm a little envious of those who got the LWB in Classic because they look Great as Suicide Jockey has demonstrated.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder quality control