Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering issue on initial start up/backing out

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 06:27 PM
TKOGTO
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering issue on initial start up/backing out

After starting my 2014 Cayman S, the steering wheel is quite difficult to turn when backing out of the garage. I get a vibration and loud clunking. After turning again, both are decreased significantly. On the 3rd turn, the condition disappears, only to return the next time @ start up.

The battery got run down @ the body shop and I got the "Steering Support Limited Drive On" message that I thought this issue was related to. After clearing the message by turning the SW in both directions a few times, I expected the issue to go away as well. It hasn't.

Any ideas?

TIA
Old 06-15-2017, 09:11 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
After starting my 2014 Cayman S, the steering wheel is quite difficult to turn when backing out of the garage. I get a vibration and loud clunking. After turning again, both are decreased significantly. On the 3rd turn, the condition disappears, only to return the next time @ start up.

Any ideas?
This is normal. It is a function of the front suspension geometry. It happens when turning sharply at very slow speeds, both going forward and reverse. What you're feeling (and hearing) is actually the tires skipping on the pavement. This is particularly noticeable on cooler (cold) days. It may be disconcerting, but does no damage.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:57 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
This is normal. It is a function of the front suspension geometry. It happens when turning sharply at very slow speeds, both going forward and reverse. What you're feeling (and hearing) is actually the tires skipping on the pavement. This is particularly noticeable on cooler (cold) days. It may be disconcerting, but does no damage.
Thanks for the clarification - I get the same "stuttering" when just starting out, when turning sharply at slow speed, and especially on colder days. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2017, 02:01 PM
TKOGTO
AutoX

Cannot recall this in any other car but good to hear it is not an issue.

Thanks DBH
Old 06-17-2017, 09:16 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Honestly it doesn't sound like the same thing. The usual 'acorn effect' due to Ackerman geometry doesn't cause the steering wheel to become harder to turn, it doesn't cause any sort of vibration, and it goes away only after the tires warm up (or the pavement does), not after an arbitrary number of turns.

What's the pavement temperature when you're experiencing this? What tires are you running?
Old 06-17-2017, 11:39 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Honestly it doesn't sound like the same thing. The usual 'acorn effect' due to Ackerman geometry doesn't cause the steering wheel to become harder to turn, it doesn't cause any sort of vibration, and it goes away only after the tires warm up (or the pavement does), not after an arbitrary number of turns.

What's the pavement temperature when you're experiencing this? What tires are you running?

I have to agree with Noah your symptoms do not sound like the " Ackerman Effect ". Vibration and clunking aren't normal IMHO.

I'd suggest 2 things:

- google " Ackerman Effect Porsche "

- take it to your dealer and have them look at it.

Also, you stated your car was in the body shop - was the car involved in an accident involving the front end ?
Old 06-18-2017, 11:27 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cold tire scuff is very common with these cars and is not an issue BUT as soon as you start the car up ,even with out moving the car, you should have power steering ......if not there is a problem
Old 06-19-2017, 11:15 AM
TKOGTO
AutoX

Originally Posted by Noah Fect

Occurs each time at start up regardless of the temp. Only have a couple of hundred miles on it so far but its happened backing out of the garage @ ~70*F or a parking space @ ~90*F.

Tires are Pirelli P-Zeros (220s).

Originally Posted by Jim137a
I have to agree with Noah your symptoms do not sound like the " Ackerman Effect ". Vibration and clunking aren't normal IMHO.

I'd suggest 2 things:

- google " Ackerman Effect Porsche "

- take it to your dealer and have them look at it.

Also, you stated your car was in the body shop - was the car involved in an accident involving the front end ?
No accident. Was having it wrapped.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:51 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Just turn the steering wheel lock to lock before moving the car, and if you have a power steering issue, you'd feel it right there. If you still feel something is wrong, and for no reason (battery fully charged, no pothole hits, no accidents, etc), just take it in. You didn't specify mileage, but most likely still covered under warranty. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Steering issue on initial start up/backing out