Sponsored by:

2019 718 Spyder OR 2018 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 11:51 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I would be pretty disappointed in Porsche if they automate the top on the Spyder. The whole point of the car is to make it lighter and more driver focused.

Perhaps Porsche will develop a fourth type of Boxster which will include the big engine with the comforts that everyone wants.....or maybe the GTS will get an NA engine. Hmm
Old 05-19-2017, 12:01 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

the 781 Spyder should be lighter and more power. And most likely will have PDK option.

Would like to see the top more pronounced like that of the 2011 boxster. (sharp windows, removable back kind stuff)
Old 05-19-2017, 12:15 AM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like my last post went up hours and almost a page of replies after I typed it.

I think that there will be another spyder. I don't it will have an automated roof or PDK. I also don't imagine anything that is 718 will have an engine with 6 cylinders. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:45 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
I prefer the manual roof as it adds a sense of occasion. . . . Also it looks cooler and not like a normal Boxster, goes well with the streamliners and the lack of insulation helps you enjoy the sound and it isn't cold or anything.
+1

Originally Posted by the_rider
As for the top, it "needs" to remain a manual affair! I am sure many fellow Spyder drivers will agree. There are certain design signatures, one of which is manual top. I will "not" want an automated top!
+1

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I would be pretty disappointed in Porsche if they automate the top on the Spyder. The whole point of the car is to make it lighter and more driver focused.
+1

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Would like to see the top more pronounced like that of the 2011 boxster. (sharp windows, removable back kind stuff)
+1

Let's pray the back-to-basics/manual/analog/purist/lightweight ethos behind the 987/981 Spyders survives in the next-gen.

Push button top would be an unwelcome move in totally the wrong direction.

Last edited by Suicide Jockey; 05-21-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:59 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Manual top = never cable end issues, motor or synchronization issues, in short nothing to break I prefer it.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:26 AM
Ccapx
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a 991 GT3 RS and the 981 Boxster Spyder.....love them both but different cars. If your in a GT3 now and thinking about the manual .2 GT3 in '18, super different decision than your GT3 for a Spyder. I kind of agree with owning both, I get more joy out of both cars because its horses for courses.....The RS, great track car or aggressive hills course car.... The Spyder....THE BEST SPORTS CAR I've ever had hands down...not close.....I added the Fabspeed 420 kit (headers, side exhaust, tune) and it is hands down the most fun I've had in a car. Brilliant..... Now I live in KC so a convertible is almost useless but I've never loved a car like this one.... The RS, uniquely love able but needs the right roads/areas to really enjoy. Probably didn't help the decision.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:15 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Gee, Nick, you let it rip! Bad day? Totally agree that in the world of instant gratification, Spyder is a refreshing feeling. At each generation, Porsche needs to pare down unnecessary features that don't enhance the elemental and visceral experience.

I forecast that the next gen will have PDK as an option. They will want to let the driver choose. My personal preference would be to offer only MT. Spyder needs to stay narrowly focused. However, Porsche is the Master of knowing it's markets. They wouldn't wanna be like Lotus!

By the way, I don't think getting a Spyder would be a step down from GT3. Far from it. If someone is focused only on HP and price, sure, it can be construed that way. But, the Spyder has completely different agenda from GT3. For the street-driving/canyon-carving, open-top experience, it's fun factor will far out-weigh GT3's!
Old 05-19-2017, 12:27 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,617 Likes on 889 Posts

As I have stated in other threads, I much prefer a manual roof. In fact I like the 987.2 Spyder better than the 981. The removal of the back panel was amazing on the first generation. It allows you on those hot sunny days to have sun protection and max air flow. If Porsche brought back this feature, I would definitely upgrade (if NA).
Old 05-19-2017, 01:02 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
As I have stated in other threads, I much prefer a manual roof. In fact I like the 987.2 Spyder better than the 981. The removal of the back panel was amazing on the first generation. It allows you on those hot sunny days to have sun protection and max air flow. If Porsche brought back this feature, I would definitely upgrade (if NA).
I hesitate to condem the 981 roof because does make the car more usable. I know 987 owners who never put the roof on and use the car less because of it. On the other hand I feel much of the purity of that design was lost with the 981- it's over-complicated for no reason other than aesthetics (the rear wing latching and associated installation gyrations serve no structural or aerodynamic purpose).

If I had to chose one I'd go for the 987 design: porsche has mainstream nailed down already, they could use more extreme. That said I don't feel like we've seen their best effort yet engineering wise, and I'm hoping the next gen will improve on both. I wonder about a hybrid where the top folds like the 981 but can also be removed like the 987? Another tip for the engineers: look at low haze ETFE or ECTFE for a clear flexible rear window material that won't discolor over time...
Old 05-19-2017, 02:46 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petevb
.................. Another tip for the engineers: look at low haze ETFE or ECTFE for a clear flexible rear window material that won't discolor over time...
Would Plexus cure that problem? Agree, would be better to eliminate the root cause in the first place.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:42 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Gee, Nick, you let it rip! Bad day?
Bad month, actually, Henry.

Yes, a bit strong. Apologies to ninjabones.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:13 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Would Plexus cure that problem? Agree, would be better to eliminate the root cause in the first place.
From memory Porsche uses a UV stabilized PVC for the rear window. The problem is that even stabilized UV breaks it down, it's just a matter of time. The damage isn't limited to the surface, it's all the way through.

ETFE is transparent to UV and is essentially immune to that type of damage. Normally it's slightly less than water clear, resulting in a slightly fuzzy image, but there are some newer "low haze" grades that are nearly completely transparent. ECTFE is similar and extremely clear. Either would be a huge step up in terms of durability if the other properties worked...
Old 05-19-2017, 09:12 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Push button top would be an unwelcome move in totally the wrong direction.
This argument is such a forehead-slapper.

Essentially, you and the other "purists" are saying the Spyder should have 44 electric motors, 119 solenoids, and 62 microprocessors. The rest of us are saying it should have 45 electric motors, 121 solenoids, and 63 microprocessors.

The battle for "purity" has long been lost. Why artificially handicap the car with a stupid manual top? What does it weigh, maybe 20 pounds less than the standard Boxster roof?
Old 05-19-2017, 10:24 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
This argument is such a forehead-slapper.

Essentially, you and the other "purists" are saying the Spyder should have 44 electric motors, 119 solenoids, and 62 microprocessors. The rest of us are saying it should have 45 electric motors, 121 solenoids, and 63 microprocessors.

The battle for "purity" has long been lost. Why artificially handicap the car with a stupid manual top? What does it weigh, maybe 20 pounds less than the standard Boxster roof?
Why stop with a power top? Why not add some comfort to the suspension with DSC? And add PDK while you're at it- both faster and easier.

Porsche can build a four door off-road capable SUV that's substantially quicker than the Spyder in virtually every way. They make a 3600+ lb brick go around the 'ring faster than any other car. They can add nearly any creature comfort you can imagine without sacrificing performance, and they are already clearly limiting the Spyder to keep it from stepping on toes (i.e. gearing).

Ask yourself why you want to compromise with an impractical two seat sports car at all? These days you can have your cake and eat it too, so why does an impractical car attract you?

The Spyder doesn't do everything well. It is impractical, focused and compromised, and that's part of its appeal. If you want something less so you have many alternatives- GTS, C4 cab, Turbo cab, etc. What Porsche doesn't make is much that's more focused.

As an enthusiast asking them to dilute the most extreme edge of their model lineup is a big mistake IMHO. Personally I have zero interest in a Mecan Turbo or its many cousins, and there are already plenty of powered top Boxster and 911 variants.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:36 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petevb
Why stop with a power top? Why not add some comfort to the suspension with DSC? And add PDK while you're at it- both faster and easier. .....................

......................, and there are already plenty of powered top Boxster and 911 variants.
+981!!

Quick Reply: 2019 718 Spyder OR 2018 991.2 GT3