Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should one pay for a salvaged title car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 12:18 PM
ARC_Driver
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should one pay for a salvaged title car?

I'm looking at a low mileage well optioned car that was in an accident where 4 body panels were damaged and probably not much else. The car has been repaired and looks good as new and seller claims it drives perfectly.

If the car's value without being in an accident was lets say, 75k, what should someone pay for it with the accident history/salvaged title?
Old 05-15-2017, 02:25 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's so perfect now how did it end up totaled at that supposed value to begin with? I'd be very weary of bent wheels or worse. I'd skip it but if you really want it I'd swing real low, like 20K tops.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:51 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Yep. It's almost always a bad call for a street car, since cars that are totaled usually have recurring problems (whether it's electrical, squeaks and rattles, or something else) and the salvage title will dramatically hit your resale just as it's hitting the current seller's now. I'd be okay with one for a track build as long as it passed an inspection by a good mechanic and the frame was straight, but I wouldn't pay much of anything for a street car w/ salvage title. You don't total a $80k car with 4 body panels and no mechanical/structural damage.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:28 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

agree with the others - if a 75K car was deemed totaled then much more damage must have happened. I would not pay much at all for a salvage titled car: 20 -30K tops with recipts, pics etc of the repairs/damage.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:55 PM
ARC_Driver
AutoX

Here is the car in question. The auction has 92 pictures including a few before the repairs were done. I was thinking about going up to 40k and walking away if any issues were found from a PPI or test drive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Porsche...19.m1438.l2649
Old 05-15-2017, 04:02 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

The 981 as an aluminum body/structure and Porsche has very specific procedures for rebuild of the frame. I would want to know who performed the rebuild and if they are authorized to rebuild for Porsche. If not I would walk.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:53 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Conspicuously missing the passenger's fender photos in more detail. Based on what they do show it's hard to believe that was totaled unless there was more damage than a couple headlamps a fender and the bumper cover, like damage you can't see that marine blue eluded to. It's already at 35K I wouldn't walk away from it I'd run. The sentence about any future disputes being handled in San Diego by their rules is also troubling to me, IMO it intimates that they have had arbitration in the past with other vehicles.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:18 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Also depends on where you live. In some states it's very hard to get a salvage title vehicle registered for street use. Or insured. I have no clue what happens to the factory warranty.

For a track car, that's not a concern.

The MSRP on that car was $80k. Pristine pre-owned it might sell for $65k. It's already above what I'd pay for a salvage vehicle. Unless it was for track use only. And even then only after a comprehensive PPI with DME scan.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:15 AM
backeddy
Advanced

I used to buy, fix resell these types of cars. I have bought "salvaged" cars that had so little damage it was hard to believe BUT the other way is true as well. To me its pretty simple, have a 4 wheel alignment check done...is it in spec? are the factory tub measurements in spec? if both are ok, then ?? As far as electrical etc goes MOST rebuilders just buy new harness sections i.e. plug to plug, so I would not be too worried there either. My biggest concerns are always paint match issues, if its not perfect I am not buying. Value = 1/2 of average sales price for non salvage cars.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 496 Posts

I would also skip ANY salvage title car. The wheels could be bent, but even worse, the frame could be bent to the point that it will not take an alignment.

Salvage title cars are Bad JuJu.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:16 PM
ARC_Driver
AutoX

thanks backeddy, looks like sound advice.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:22 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer
I would also skip ANY salvage title car. The wheels could be bent, but even worse, the frame could be bent to the point that it will not take an alignment.

Salvage title cars are Bad JuJu.
+1, I avoid salvage cars like the plague I would only buy a salvage car for track duty and a thorough inspection.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:29 PM
Mike127
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Salvage cars aren't necessarily bad. That was well more than 4 body panels though. From what I can see..

Bumper, both front fenders, hood, possibly driver's door, possible passenger door, both rear quarter panels and side skirts, front right wheel and suspension, both headlights, bumper supports, parts of the frunk, front radiators, etc.

I would need to get a full list of what was replaced from the shop and ask for pictures during repair as well. If it was repaired correctly and you plan to keep the vehicle a long time (or forever), this isn't too bad of a price for what you're getting. The worst part of a correctly fixed salvage title is trying to re-sell. See everyone above weary to buy simply because of the label. So it's really only beneficial if you're not going to be selling for a long time.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:20 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
The 981 as an aluminum body/structure and Porsche has very specific procedures for rebuild of the frame. I would want to know who performed the rebuild and if they are authorized to rebuild for Porsche. If not I would walk.
I would go a step farther and say I wouldn't consider any S title 981 that wasn't retubbed.

I own an S title air cooled car. Totally different world.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:46 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Well in addition to the differences in build, on an old car hitting the "totalled" number might also be very little damage.

Quick Reply: What should one pay for a salvaged title car?