Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where's The Jack

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 01:56 PM
bpsanborn
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where's The Jack

I can't find a jack in my new-to-me 2013 Boxster. Every car comes with a jack... or at I least thought so. I had a 2007 Miata that did not have room for a spare. They played the same game of the tire sealant, leak sealing cord and compressor. But they did supply a jack designed to fit the jacking points on the car. I actually had to use this Miata system one time. It is much easier working on the wheel when it is off the car. You need a jack to do that.

Does the Boxster not come with a jack? If not... do you carry a jack in your car... and what kind of jack do you use?
Old 05-14-2017, 04:49 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

There is no jack. I bought this one off eBay and it's worked out perfect. High quality, light weight, compact and more importantly it has that oval shaped thing on the top that's designed to fit in the jacking points on your Boxster.

Here's the link to the eBay site, when I bought mine it was on sale for $67' I think every once in awhile they run a special on them.

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=28234191...pp=true&chn=ps

Also, in the frunk on the right hand side you will see a " removable compartment " - that's where the sealant is located. Packed with the sealant bottle is a valve remover tool, you need that to put the sealant in. I found the tool in the kit to be crap so I bought a " T style " valve tool at a local auto parts store.

Under the center section in the front ( the large plastic cover that covers the battery ) you will find the compressor that Porsche provides.
Attached Images   
Old 05-14-2017, 04:58 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Here's a thread from another site that will give you some info on what to expect when dealing with a flat on a Cayman or Boxster.

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-a...xperience.html
Old 05-14-2017, 07:04 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not on the Porsche thank god but I got a flat at 5AM mid trip home in the middle of nowhere. I used the T handle plug kit after yanking out a nail, filled it with air and made another five hundred miles on it without incident. Now I carry those plug kits in both vehicles, IMO you are going to need a jack, there is a way better chance that included pump will inflate a properly repaired flat off the car with no weight against it.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:06 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Just ordered a t-handle kit to toss in the Boxster. I'll add a couple of basic "wrestle that nail out" tools and feel better. Thanks for the reminder to do this guys!

Dave

'05 987S
'92 968 SP3
'88 944 NA (gone but not forgotten)
Old 05-15-2017, 10:24 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

I (along with 13 other P-cars) just recently completed a ~2200 mile Mighty 5 tour through Utah. Awesome sights and amazing driver roads.

One of the cars in our group got a puncture in his tire. In the middle of nowhere. Another member of the group provided a sealant product called Slime (www.slime.com). It worked as advertised and the driver drove ~75 miles to locate a shop that could dismount, patch from the inside and remount the tire. Here's the best part: the shop simply hosed off the Slime from the inside of the tire and wheel. And the TPMS sensor worked afterwards. After hearing all the warnings about how the Porsche slime wrecks your tire and TPMS not to mention the warnings on the bottle (read it if you haven't) Slime was a nice surprise. I've since added a bottle to the frunk of my cars.

End of public service announcement.

DaveGee
Old 05-17-2017, 12:17 AM
bpsanborn
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for the info and advice

Brian
Boston Area
Old 05-17-2017, 02:45 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd suggest that if the car didn't come with a spare tire, it also won't have a jack or wrench.

I have a slime kit (bottle and compressor) in the wife's car. She's not strong enough to insert a plug.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:48 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I bought used 986 Boxster spare tire kits for my Cayman and Spyder. So far the kits have had the intended impact: no flats.

Quick Reply: Where's The Jack