Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello and Happy Friday!

Old 05-12-2017, 06:12 PM
ScottyZ
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello and Happy Friday!

Hi guys and gals, tomorrow I'm flying to the Bay Area and picking up my new to me '15 981 Cayman GTS. Been salivating for this car since the 981 came out, and especially since the GTS package debuted.

I've had plenty of BMWs in my garage over the years, and truly loved my now gone E92 M3 Coupe. But...I think I am going to really enjoy this car!

I have to say I kinda feel "nervous" even with anticipation and cannot wait to get acquainted with it on my long drive back to SoCal.

Tips? Tricks? Adjustments needed?

The Bimmerpost forums were super cool, and I've heard good things about Rennlist.

Cheers All from an excited Porsche noob.

SCOTT
Old 05-12-2017, 06:14 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 368 Likes on 188 Posts

Drive it hard, use Sport+, have fun
Old 05-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Good luck, be safe, enjoy the car and slowly explore its limits.

The few bits of real bit advice I'd pass on are:

Let the oil temp come up to at least 185 degrees before you take it past 4,000 RPM.

Learn how to properly read the oil level - car must be up to temp and on level ground.

And finally take some pics of your road trip and post them along with the specs of your CGTS when you can.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:57 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats Scott and post a few pix of your car and journey.

Eddie
Old 05-12-2017, 11:44 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Scott, what a great weekend you have in store! Congrats on your first Porsche. You've picked a good one

I don't know if you are taking delivery from a dealer or a private party. Many of the items below pertain to the former.

1. If the pre-programmed settings are not to your liking, have the dealer reprogram them before you take off. Two settings I would consider is the door lock setting and the horn honk setting. With respect to the former, I had the door lock settings configured so the doors a) remain unlocked after a delay on entering the vehicle, and b) lock automatically after driving off (the setting for this is "After drive-off").

Available setting options:

– “Off”
The doors are not locked automatically after
entering the vehicle.

– “After ign. on”
The doors are locked automatically when the
ignition is switched on.

– “After drive-off”
The doors are locked automatically after
driving off.

I find it obnoxious to have the horn honking (meep-meep!!) every time you lock the car so if you feel the same have the dealer disable this feature. Your neighbors will thank you!

As I recall, the reprogramming of these features can only be done by a dealer via PIWIS. If taking delivery from a private party, these are things you can ask the dealer to do once you get back down to L.A. and have the car in for service.

2. I'd take along a tire pressure gauge just to make sure the tires are inflated properly before you take off. Nothing like over-inflated or under-inflated tires to give you a distorted sense of the car's handling characteristics as you take off on your road trip south. It's probably more important to check pressure if taking delivery from a private party, but it can't hurt to do so even if picking up from a dealer.

3. On a new car, some dealers do a courtesy swap of the amber side markers for the clear European ones that many prefer. Maybe this isn't as common on the purchase of a used car, but it doesn't hurt to ask if you dig the clear ones. If they do, be sure to get the amber ones back.

4. Sounds obvious, but in the euphoria of getting your first Porsche don't forget to make sure you have the owner's manual, service records if they come with the car, window sticker, all keys, etc. Make sure your documentation is complete before you take off.

5. If you're at the dealer, consider picking up some touch up paint in your color if they carry it in stock. Nice to have.

Those are just a few things that came to mind. Have a blast and, as others have said, be sure to post pics when you get a chance. Good luck!

Old 05-13-2017, 07:28 AM
WenigRot
Intermediate

No advice to offer other than to have fun and enjoy the car. If you are not a PCA member, please join and become a Cayman Register member. The Panorama mag is good (I just read my first issue) but it is not as good as Roundel IMHO. Anyways, best of luck!
Old 05-13-2017, 09:31 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

enjoy the new car! Post pics when you can.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:29 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Very good tips from owners. Lots of luck with your new to you CGTS. Great car - enjoy!!
Old 05-14-2017, 10:17 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Drive it hard, be safe and enjoy!
Old 05-14-2017, 01:36 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I got nothing more to say because the relevant bits have been posted. I drove the GTS and it is phenomenal. Especially with a PDK and the 'launch control'. It does not have the 'grunt' perceived or otherwise of the E92 M3 which was my last car before I got my Spyder but the balance is incredible. Just one turn of the wheel in to a corner and you will be sold on your investment and have no doubts whether you made the right decision or not! Start to explore the car's limits slowly though. Do some track days if you have the need for speed. That motor at full chat is something else!!! Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forums. It's a fun place and full of knowledgeable folks. I myself have learned a ton from being around here.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:38 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Having gone directly from a E92 M3 into a CGTS, I can say: 1) with a manual tranny, the CGTS is just as fast in a straight line and MUCH better in the twisties, 2) yes, join PCA and the Panorama magazine is much more professional then Roundel and more slanted towards sports cars than sedans and Minis. Mind you, I loved that V8 growl and the fact that the M3 was better configured as my daily driver, but I'm in a better place.

Hope your drive down the coast went well and be sure to post pictures and more details of your CGTS.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:31 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I may be too late but if not I would recommend taking PCH, it will be the perfect way to get to know your new Cayman. Just make sure the tires are warmed up and don't push it until you're used to its capabilities.

Congrats and enjoy.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:49 PM
ScottyZ
Track Day

Alrighty kids...

I owe a write-up of the weekend and the acquisition of my new garage monster. Here's the answers to the questions and some pics too!

- 2015 Cayman GTS, bought from a dealer (Porsche of Fremont, up in San Jose area)
- Found the car via a custom search on the Porsche USA vehicle locator. I had a deal in Tampa, FL fall thru (luckily), and found this car shortly after. I was not really looking to do private party, and was hoping for a CPO vehicle for the safety-net. Initially they were not going to, but I got them to CPO the vehicle and it has factory bumper-to-bumper left, which are both super nice to have.
- I got every single one of my option "wants" with this particular car: exterior in White (Rhodium Silver was my 2nd choice). Contrast trim/wheels (this one is black 20" Carerra S wheel) with black exhaust tips and diffuser, and black aero bits all around. Interior is GTS package in black leather and dark grey alcantara with carbon fiber trim bits (18-way seats), Bose surround system, back up cam and proximity sensors, MANUAL transmission (PDK is great I know but I wanted to go back to my roots), pretty low miles (23.6K at pick up), as with the GTS it has the sportier exhaust, Sport Chrono, loud mode for the exhaust, and it is ridiculously clean.

- I worked with the dealer over the phone for a week (or more), getting info, a variety of pix, history of the car, etc, etc...they had a lot of interest in it, so I got a deposit on it sight-unseen. Had a friend in the area go mystery shop the car and the sales folks.

- Saturday 5/13 flew up to SJC, they opened up a little earlier for me. And had the car in the showroom floor (of course) a 911 GT3 RS next to it...after wiping my drool off my shirt. I got to checking out the Cayman GTS.

- All things checked out. Test drive was awesome, service records all laid out, tires are brand new PZeros, had its 20k service pretty recently and the check out looked up to par. Did not look or act like it was a track ***** in any way. Basically I fell in love and couldn't write the check fast enough.

- So for the last two years, I had been daily driving my BMW i3, which as you all know is a somewhat "luxury golf cart." Torquey thing, but limited in what speed and dynamic of driving it can handle. I have a short commute, thankfully two Harley's in the garage for the fun rides and we also have a '16 X3 3.5 SUV in the garage...but, having had a variety of quick and nimble BMWs in years past, I was dying to be reborn into a real sports car.

- After a test drive, a tiny bit of haggling/wrangling...check was written, doc were signed, smiles all-around and I departed from Porsche of Fremont at 11:00am PT with a full tank of gas, a bottled water, my sunglasses and a sizeable car boner. My gone but never forgotten E92 M3 was a manual. And it had been a while since I had consistently driven a manual. But within a minute or two the Cayman felt like it was made for me, and honestly it's one of the best clutch/shifter set ups I've ever driven. I reached a comfort point quickly.

- Open road was awesome. 880-S, to 101-S, to 152-E, to 5-S was smooth and a lot of testing it out with little to no traffic. 405-S was kinda awful as expected and took about 2 hours from the 5/405 interchange to the South Bay area. I got to know 1st and 2nd pretty well during this stretch and only once did I get lazy and have a stall, but I found out the car has a stall re-start feature which is kind of nice!

- Got it home safe and sound...from a 4:30am wake up, to a 7am flight, to 930am test driving, and 11am departure, and finally 5pm arrival, I was ready to break out the decontaminant bath, the sonax full-effect, and new microfiber cloths...and yes...I was wide-awake enough to do a mini-detail (after introducing my fiancé to the car). Then I took her for a ride...

- I may or may not have slept in the garage Saturday night...but I cannot stop checking out the car, it is quite a thrill...even standing still.

- Sunday we did a spirited drive up and around Palos Verdes and worked the twisties like old friends...love this car and so glad for the experience to date.

- I plan to have a pro detailer do a minor paint correction on it, as there's some faint "lazy person car wash" swirls, and I'd like the wheels completely cleaned and treated with a ceramic coating like Modesta BC-04. Other than that...getting the clear side markers is a must...and it does not need much else for now, other than to be driven!

Here's pix...and thanks for everyone's feedback and hellos. I was a pretty big fixture on the e90post and bimmerpost forums back in the day. Once the e92 left my possession and I moved from DC to LA I strayed from Euro car clubs, and forums though I am still a BMW CCA member and collector of the Roundel mags. I plan to join PCA and hopefully make a few cars and coffee to get to know the local Porsche enthusiasts.

CHEERS,

SCOTT
Attached Images         
Old 05-15-2017, 03:32 PM
ScottyZ
Track Day

Longer post coming, but I wanted to say my Saturday was awesome...

- Car was everything I've been looking for and much more.
- Had a great drive back from San Jose to LA, 880 to 101 to 152 to 5 to 405.
- Did a mini detail right after getting home! Couldn't wait!
- Did a PV twisties drive Sunday AM...so awesome.

I am very glad I found this car, I think I worked a great deal, and I got all the options and bits I really wanted...extremely pleased so far!

CHEERS!

SCOTT
Attached Images     
Old 05-16-2017, 12:21 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Great looking car, Scott. Glad to hear your initial impressions after the drive down are all positive. Congrats!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hello and Happy Friday!