Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil and engine air filter change

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 11:40 AM
Richland
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil and engine air filter change

Any info, including pics, videos, etc. on how to change oil and engine air filter on a 2017 Cayman S (718)? These are the two and only two things I want to be able to do on the car! Thanks!
Old 05-10-2017, 11:44 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

Check planet-9 and pelican forums/articles
Old 05-10-2017, 12:39 PM
981spyder
Racer

Air filter is def. different if that's actual pic.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/catego..._By=disp_order

from other forum:
The drain plug is obvious and easy. The filter housing is located driver's side. It is tucked up a bit and is attached horizontally to the engine. The end of the housing is within a few inches of a chassis rail. It appears that the housing must be loosened completely, pulled back to the chassis rail and then dropped down. You can loosen easily it with a 74 mm polygon filter cap. Mine was not on very tight at all. I did not remove it because I was afraid I would not be able to get it out within such tight quarters. There is a drip funnel right underneath it that you attach a hose to so that you won't get oil all over the adjacent parts. That's another part that adds to the confinement of this area.
I jacked car up level and placed stands at jack points. BTW received instructions today from a gold level Porsche mechanic on how to remove the filter housing. His instructions were: Place a hose into the fixed funnel under the filter housing to drain spillage into a can. Use a 74 mm polygon oil filter removal cap to loosen housing. Finish by hand rotating the housing to separate from engine. Do not attempt to remove the housing with the filter in it, there's not enough room to do so. Remove just the housing first, afterwards the filter. Reverse sequence for new filter. He assured me there is no need to remove anything else on the engine or near it to accomplish this.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:16 AM
Richland
AutoX

Ignore the part on taking the housing off first, then the filter. It doesn't work that way. The filter housing and filter element come off as a unit, with the filter inside the housing. I know I just did the oil on my 2017 718 Cayman S. See enclosed attachment for tutorial.
Attached Images
Old 05-25-2017, 10:20 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

It seems Porsche engineers are making it more difficult to get to the filter, with each new generation. On my 987.2 filter is tucked away but at least its vertical. I know that 987.1 the filter was much easier to get to. Maybe its because the engines are getting bigger leaving less space to make things user-friendly?
Old 05-25-2017, 11:10 AM
Richland
AutoX

It is a bit more crowded, but it's doable. Since the car is relatively new I doubt the "gold" level tech I talked to at Sunset Porsche in Portland has yet to change one (that was my post you quoted from the 718 forum, prior to me actually changing the oil). Porsche recommends not changing until 10,000 mi. I say BS, I changed it after the break-in period which is 2,000 mi. Glad I did, there were tiny metal particles in the bottom of the filter housing. All new engines should have an oil change between 500 and 2000 miles.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:33 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I won't go 10K even with the engine broken in, frequent oil changes are the cheapest insurance one can ever buy.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:15 PM
BOPE
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Richland
All new engines should have an oil change between 500 and 2000 miles.
I agree.

The goofy plastic oil filter housing is puzzling to me. It looks almost as if Porsche expects you to remove it without a wrench, as the profile is unrecognizable.

Best,

Jason
Old 12-20-2017, 02:32 AM
Richland
AutoX

Here's a PDF file with latest revision of my oil change procedure for the 718 S
Attached Images

Quick Reply: Oil and engine air filter change