Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Boxster Spyder 987 - What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 10:59 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

^^^^ Great gesture!
Old 11-21-2017, 12:28 AM
itsujack
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Does anyone know if these pieces are glued in place or if they are press fit?

I would be willing to pull mine out if someone has the capability to reproduce them but only if they are press fit and can be safely removed.
That would be great Afshin!
From memory they are lightly held in with a little glue or double sided tape. I lost one and decided to remove the other to check, it came out very easily with no damage. They are not identical on both sides either (ie two parts a left side and right side)
Old 11-21-2017, 02:46 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by FlamsteadHill
Take a Spyder for a test drive and "borrow" them. Or, slightly less illegally, return them after 3D scanning them so you can re-pop them.
Naughty idea but it could work if... I could find another Spyder. At least for the option 2. I'd feel to guilty to go for option one unless it was a dealer car

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Does anyone know if these pieces are glued in place or if they are press fit?

I would be willing to pull mine out if someone has the capability to reproduce them but only if they are press fit and can be safely removed.
Wow, that would be simply amazing. I do not know if we will make it but the gesture is really kind. Much much appreciated. And I can bet that the 3D scanning will be much cheaper than here in EU.
If for any reason I'll ever get them, my plan is to "glue" them in place using some high temperature silicone sealant. I foud out that for a lot of car's parts is still the best option. It's strong and flexible.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:03 PM
Ale_72
Pro

Meanwhile my dealer sent a specific request to Porsche DE to have a formal confirmation that these parts only come together with the carbon bar or to get the right codes to be ordered.
Until now no answer from them (request sent end of Nov 17).
Let's see. None of the other two spyders they have (one for sale and another one for service) have these plastic/rubber caps, unfortunately.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:02 AM
itsujack
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ale_72
Meanwhile my dealer sent a specific request to Porsche DE to have a formal confirmation that these parts only come together with the carbon bar or to get the right codes to be ordered.
Until now no answer from them (request sent end of Nov 17).
Let's see. None of the other two spyders they have (one for sale and another one for service) have these plastic/rubber caps, unfortunately.
My understanding from my dealer is that they are only available with the entire rubber seal that attaches to the carbon bar, you don't need to buy the carbon bar as well. Still, would be nice if they offered just the end caps given how many people appear to be missing them. Does anyone know if there is a way to formally put a request in to Germany? Might speak to my dealer about it.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:19 AM
Ale_72
Pro

He told me they have a tool where to put all these kind of requests (they did the same for the post installation of the sport button on mine since there was an inconsistency between two system one showing that it was possible to do it and another one not).
Unfortunately for the sport button they answered in a couple of days, while no news on this one yet.
I am not ina hurry and it’s not a critical part.
As soon as I know something I let you know.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:52 PM
LEW22
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey itsujack, do you know what the part numbers are for the rubber seals that may/may not contain the end caps? Mine are also missing and my local dealership has been trying to locate the caps now for around 5-6 months with no luck. Maybe i could get my dealership to inquire and see if they could be ordered separate?
Old 12-22-2017, 06:49 AM
itsujack
Instructor

Originally Posted by LEW22
Hey itsujack, do you know what the part numbers are for the rubber seals that may/may not contain the end caps? Mine are also missing and my local dealership has been trying to locate the caps now for around 5-6 months with no luck. Maybe i could get my dealership to inquire and see if they could be ordered separate?
Would be good to put some pressure on Porsche to sell these separately. My dealer told me the part number for the roof seal, including the end plugs is: 98756732700
Old 12-22-2017, 07:03 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Originally Posted by itsujack
Would be good to put some pressure on Porsche to sell these separately.
If you know how to do it, I am in!
Old 12-22-2017, 08:42 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't it be easier to find a college student taking a polymer class that has a 3D printer and have him fire out a few for pizza and beer money? We didn't have a printer like that when I took similar classes but we had a sweet injection molding set up that would have also worked for a project like this.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:44 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Wouldn't it be easier to find a college student taking a polymer class that has a 3D printer and have him fire out a few for pizza and beer money?
If you still have the two bits and you know somebody it would be perfect.
It would be enough to have the 3d models in a file, that everybody can find a place close to home to have the 3d print done.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:47 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sadly the college I attended scrapped the entire technology program, after all who needs to learn drafting, electronics, residential construction, polymers, production printing or ceramics? Otherwise I would have easily been able to get some professor friends to make perfect copies.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:43 AM
LEW22
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my local dealership put in a 'High Priority' request with Porsche on this so we will see what they come back with. I also contacted Suncoast Parts and Aldo is looking into it as well.

98756732700 is the part for the gasket, seems the caps must be part of it as Porsche doesn't show them as a separate P#. I asked if they could as if it could be purchased separately and haven't heard back yet.

These have to be available somehow.?.?
Old 12-28-2017, 12:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Thanks for digging into this as I’m sure it will help us all at some point.
Since we are talking about the tops, I learned earlier this month that the tops available from Porsche do not include the Carbon Fiber Portion, they only include the canvas portion. I don’t know yet if the canvas includes the gasket that sits in the carbon fiber near the windshield or if it’s strictly the canvas.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Bad news. My dealer as well received from Porsche Italy officially the answer that they do provide the two plugs only together with the full gasket.
It seems that the only solution would be to have a custom 3d model part but the problem is to find the "source" parts to make the scan.

Quick Reply: Boxster Spyder 987 - What is this?