Sponsored by: APR

Vertical Trim Piece for Spyder Fell Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 04:29 PM
johnuf78
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vertical Trim Piece for Spyder Fell Off

Anyone have the vertical trim piece for the front lip fall off their Spyder? Porsche refuses to warranty this because I don't have the piece that fell off because it came off when I was driving. They said it's because they need to send the part back to Porsche to verify I didn't hit something to make it fall off. Well, there's not a scratch anywhere near my bumper and the foam tape is 100% intact meaning it didn't get torn off by force. I didn't even know it fell off and even if I did know while I was driving I wouldn't stop in the middle of the road to pick it up. Porsche wants over $300 for the part... Suncoast use to have the part for $42 but they said they're out and Porsche has changed the part number and hasn't been updated in their system yet. I'm wondering if it's because Porsche had to change the plastic compound because it wasn't sticking properly to the foam tape... I know VW had an issue some the plastics in their fender flares that was causing them to fall of way back. Only reason why Porsche would be changing part numbers on this trim piece would be to ID old ones from the new ones.

Seems like it's very difficult to get Porsche to warranty anything. I have another Boxster Spyder that had the auto dimming stop working on the rear view mirror... turned out it was a blown fused and they charged me $168 for the fuse and labor and said it wasn't covered under warranty. I ended up just buying the GT4 lip and side pieces since Suncoast had those in stock instead of paying $300+ for the one side piece for the Spyder. Never really had any problems with Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, or Toyota with any warranty issues.
Attached Images   
Old 04-13-2017, 07:44 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Weasels. They should cover this - no questions asked.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:54 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's pretty bad. Time to go to that guys boss, and then his boss etc.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:29 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 883 Likes on 534 Posts

Try a different dealer??
Old 04-14-2017, 10:08 AM
johnuf78
Intermediate

I keep one Spyder in PA and the other in Florida and both dealers are difficult to get to warranty anything. Basically they both say it's Porsche USA that wil deny their warranty claims. I have a 911 GTS Cab that took a lot of arm twisting to warranty the seals by the windows because they were dry rotting after 6 months and 2500 miles. At first they tried to blame the sun and the salt and humidity in FL... I'm like come on, after 6 months and 2500 miles. Car is garaged and even when at work it's parked under a canopy. SMH
Old 04-14-2017, 10:50 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

That's a horrible design. Attaching a part with double side tape????

I had both come loose on my GT4. Never fell off though. Some super glue fixed the problem.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:51 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

The maintenance on these new Spyders is horrendous. I am deeply concerned for your safety johnuf78 and you should sell this piece of c#@p to me right away and be done with it.

OK. All joking aside, I have a piece of front lip trim on my 981 that keeps falling off and I am about to get out the 3M all-weather double-sided tape. I had a similar problem with the right lower lip in my gen-1 Spyder. No argument that these things shouldn't happen. I does seem odd the dealer doesn't just say WTF and cover the cost for you. You've bought 3 bloody cars from them. What does it take these days to be treated like an "A-client"? Buy a 918?

You're fall back is a Google / Yelp review I guess.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:40 AM
johnuf78
Intermediate

Waiting of the double sided tape to arrive from Amazon before putting on the side trim from the GT4. The holes don't line up for the screw clips for the GT4 lip on the Spyder but instead of drilling a new hole in the bumper I may just use double sided automotive tape. I'm worried if I drill a new hole in the GT4 lip it's getting too close to the edge of material on the lip and won't have enough plastic so would be easy to break there.

Last edited by johnuf78; 04-16-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:49 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

The tape is very good. I've used it for front license plates on my last 3 cars and never had any problem. You should be fine.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:26 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,618 Likes on 890 Posts

The cheapest I have found this part (981 505 529 00 - Left) for so far is $264!
its more expensive than the spoiler itself! Something isn't right! Doesn't add up.

Quick Reply: Vertical Trim Piece for Spyder Fell Off