Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Analog clock from Cayenne to 987 needs a technician

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 09:49 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Analog clock from Cayenne to 987 needs a technician

So my 05 Boxster S has full leather, nav, seat crests and more but sadly no Sport Chrono. How much I'd use the functionality of a Sport Chrono remains uncertain but I really like the look of the pod in the center dash. So after six months of self debate, I decided to add an analog clock from a Cayenne to my dash with Sport Chrono pod. Although the car has a digital clock, I would glance at the clock all the time so had no trouble having it front and center. Cutting the dash took some nerve but it went well. So I got the clock in. Here's my problem.
My 987 nav unit is not set up for Sport Chrono, no input (that I know of).
The clock came from a 2011 Cayenne but no connector or wires.
I bought a connector and wires aftermarket (fit fine, had 4 wires).
Here's where the technician part comes in...I'd be surprise if I get a qualified answer to this but this forum has surprised me before.

2 of the 4 wires are main positive and negative. I hooked them up and no response until I connected the 3rd wire to the positive. Then the clock spins around to reset at "noon". When I release that same 3rd wire from the positive, the clock operates as it should...all needles moving properly UNTIL 10 minutes go by. Then it all resets itself at noon and stays there. I tried to repeat and its same thing all over again. The 4th wire appears to have no effect. I thought it might be linked to the lights for nighttime illumination but nope.

So I feel I'm close. Looking for someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong (or the connector wire which was meant for a Sport Chrono is not configured correctly for a Cayenne clock). By the way, both the clock and Sport Chrono has 6 pins with 4 in use, I assume two were just blanks.

If you don't have an suggestion, then I'll take any info on who I might go to.
Thanks.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:08 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WAG, one of the positives is constant on and one is key on only otherwise what would be the purpose of discreet positives to the same appliance? WAG2, keyed on might have something to do with backlighting..

Last edited by terbiumactivated; 04-09-2017 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Analog clock from Cayenne to 987 needs a technician