Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove scratches from 987-1 Headlight

Old 03-13-2017, 08:58 AM
chipmunk13
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove scratches from 987-1 Headlight

I have spent some time reviewing posts on this forum (and others) on how to restore headlights lenses. My headlights have swirl marks on them (I think from polishing) and I was looking for a way to remove these. While a number of owners seem to have had good results from sanding and polishing headlight covers (using the 3M kit) there is a counter argument that doing this removes the factory UV protection layer and generally leads to a faster deterioration of the lens afterwards. As my lenses are only lightly marked and not discoloured I am a little reluctant to carry out a full restore. Has anyone got any experience with removing light scratch marks from headlight lenses in a way that preserves the factory UV protection? or any other suggestion on what to do?
Old 03-13-2017, 11:58 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're obsessive about perfection best to shop somewhere like ebay for replacements, cars get wrecked from rear collisions too. Otherwise, try Meguiar's scratch X, it works really well on headlight scratches with just a microfiber rag and would be more strategic, less invasive than the 3M kit and cheaper too.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:50 PM
chipmunk13
Cruisin'

Thanks for the advice. I have ordered some from Amazon.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:28 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drop a message after you try it, I'm confident you will be happy with the results, it's also excellent for removing marks from paint without damaging the clearcoat.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:34 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

You should then be able to find a plastic compatible UV spray (like 303).

Greg
Old 03-16-2017, 12:09 AM
orclean1
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
Default xpel

suggestion after you use mequires scratch x, consider covering them with xpel. I have them on my headlights along with the full nose of my car . perfect with no delamination .
Old 03-19-2017, 08:49 PM
chipmunk13
Cruisin'

Thanks all. I used my new bottle of Meguiar's scratch X on the lights tonight and they came up beautifully - after only 3 minutes work. I also removed some scratches where the cat had slid down the side with dirty paws.

Now I need to find some UV protection spray - is 303 the best to use? I could use a film but I am not sure when I'd find the time to do that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remove scratches from 987-1 Headlight