Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Boxster not starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2006 Boxster not starting

My 2006 Boxster will not start. When I put the key in the ignition it recognizes the key and the instrument cluster says key 1. The instrument cluster does nothing and the obd does not function. The car does not try to crank. The battery is good. The key remote locks and unlocks the doors. If I put key 2 in it recognizes it and says key 2. I put in another ignition switch and there is no change. I also get the message steering locked but it is not.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:09 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Charlie, It definitely sounds like a computer related failure, I don't think it's the hardware such as the starter itself. I'd first get the fault codes, maybe someone on this site near you with a durametric can help if you don't own one. I doubt this next advise will work but try taking the negative post off the battery for two minutes then reconnect it and try again, maybe you'll get lucky and it's only going to take a minute to try.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:27 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

thanks for the response. I have a Durametric but the OBD does not work because when you turn the key to turn on ignition nothing happens.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

My WAG is the ignition switch is bad.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:41 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I put in a new ignition switch and have the same results.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:34 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Our keys have a small transponder inside the plastic case part of the key that the ignition switch is supposed to recognize. I'm not sure if your car is recognizing the transponders or not, but it probably is if it can tell one key from the other.
If the transponder is not present or not recognized, the car will not start. Whichever computer module controls this, and I'm sorry I don't know which one that is, is what I would suspect to be deficient.
Have you checked all of the wires/connections leading from the ignition switch?
I think one of our security related modules is under one of the seats. At least that is true of the 996/986 generation. You might check connections there as well.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:44 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have talked to a couple of Porsche shops and they don't have a clue. Seems as if I always have a problem that no one else has ever had.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:39 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

The cheap and simple first, again this is probably not it but it isn't going to hurt, when was the last time the keys had new batteries?
Old 03-07-2017, 01:16 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
The cheap and simple first, again this is probably not it but it isn't going to hurt, when was the last time the keys had new batteries?
That's a good thought terbium, but probably not the problem here because charlie indicated the keys locked and unlocked the doors meaning the batteries are still sending signals. Also I don't think the key battery has anything to do with the immobilizer system that prevents the car from starting.
OTOH, It wouldn't hurt to change the battery, in one key at least, just to cover all the bases...
Old 03-07-2017, 03:01 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

I would examine the switch that either tells the car the clutch is depressed or the brake is (pdk version) as well. It's pretty clear they can be problematic and if memory serves me correctly I don't hear the steering lock release until the brake is depressed and the key is turned. Wouldn't hurt to drop a meter on the battery either, these are all things Charlie can do to whittle down the culprits for almost no expense. Whenever I am diagnosing a car problem that's what I like to do, eliminate the suspects starting with the free or cheap repairs.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:11 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here are some things I have tried.

New battery
New key battery
New ignition switch
Checked clutch switch
Checked power distributor and all wires have 12 v
Checked fuses

I wonder if it could be the steering lock solenoid. If the computer thinks the steering is locked does that shut the ignition down? Why does the computer think it is locked when it isn't?
Old 03-07-2017, 06:26 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

My only experience here is PDK, the steering column makes a definite unlock noise before it will crank. That leads me to think if the car believes the steering is locked that is exactly why it wont crank. Perhaps you could talk to the service manager or mechanic and find out what controls the solenoid, is it a relay or the main computer brain box under the seat.

Quick Reply: 2006 Boxster not starting