Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718S Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 10:40 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

The S didn't make it but the plain old 2.0 engine did.

http://www.autocarpro.in/news-intern...ne-award-25099

"Porsche secured its first win {International Engine of the Year} in the 1.8-litre to 2.0-litre category with its 2.0-litre turbo that powers the 718 Boxster and 718 Cayman."

Greg
Old 06-23-2017, 01:49 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
And someone in the GT3 forum who just took a factory tour said they were told that demand for the Cayman is through the roof now and they're struggling to keep up.
Do you believe a Porsche factory employee telling the truth? Sales figures speak for themselves. Don't believe Porsche discloses them (wonder why), but there're other ways to get them fairly accurately. Anyway, all indications point to poor sales so far, but it was to be expected, due to the downgrade from H6 to H4., world economy, etc. Until somebody proves that with factual sales figures, I won't believe it.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:44 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Yup, #s speak for themselves!!

Old 06-23-2017, 04:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Do you believe a Porsche factory employee telling the truth? .
Don't see why someone doing a tour would lie about something like that. They indicated that the demand was outstripping expectations and that they were having to look for alternative suppliers for certain parts because the order forecast they gave suppliers turned out to be too low and the existing suppliers couldn't meet them. This was in connection with a discussion about the fact that the factory was running flat out trying to keep up with demand.

My dealer indicated that the cars have started to sell very well and I've noticed they've been moving more 718's through the showroom than they were early in the year. It's a new car and you can't do a comparison to prior year sales during the first six months of the first year of introduction. This time next year, we'll have a good sense of things. Also, last year's numbers also had the GT4 and Spyder sales included. Finally, note March was the big down month and it was partly due to crap weather in most of the country. A good comparison will be the mid six months (April - Sept) of 2017 vs. 2016.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:05 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
The turbo is "not" the future! It is an interim step to the future: hybrids, then electric! In my forecast, next gen platforms will have turbos and hybrids; we could hypothetically call it 983. In hypothetical 984, we might only see hybrids and electrics. Internal-Combustion engines might go bye-bye!

As much as I am a fanatical NA guy, I can see the writings on the wall: it's days are numbered. At best, NA engines in select models might live on for just one more generation. At best! It's a long shot. Beyond that, just can't see a business case for it. Aside from business case, NA engines won't be able to compete against the low/mid-range torque (and, the power levels) of turbo/electric. Regular drivers love low-end torque. Only companies like Ferrari, Lamborghini, et al. might be able to offer NA V12s in super-niche models and get away with.

The regulations are only getting tighter. Even if our EPA regs get dismantled or diluted, EU will continue to march ahead with their road maps. So would California. Many US states follow California's lead. So, keep what you have; and, pick up some new choice samples as they come for a short period of time, because you ain't getting no more!
Hydrogen is the future.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:10 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Bparrott
A stripper 911 is 100k if you are lucky and it is out performed in all measures by the 718S. .

Completely false.

Porsche does other things to neuter the 981/718. Mainly suspension even if you extract putting 4 in it to solidify the hierarchy. Talk fun factor all day long but a 718S cannot outperform a base 911 in any measurable way.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:14 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by SDPorschelover
The MT on the 2017 Cayman rocks. I agree that the PDK is not exciting. Get the MT!
Also from a diehard 911 guy... you are SOOOOOoooo lucky to get a proper 6 speed option. +1 for 718 > 911
Old 06-23-2017, 05:40 PM
SDPorschelover
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I now have over 1500 miles on a 2017 Cayman with MT.

while I understand the Porsche diehards questioning the Turbo 4, as a previous BMW owner I can tell you that the base 2.0 has much more get up and go from the start and in all gears then a 300 hp turbo six in the BMW 4 series. It also handles way better - I can once again feel the road and know exactly where my tires are in a turn and the suspension is tight and there is no car roll in cornering. This car kills BMW and is a bargain at the base Cayman price.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:57 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Yup, #s speak for themselves!!

MASSIVE!!! Minus 40%, 50% and 30% for Cayman, boxster & 911 platforms year over year.. while the rest of the Porsche lineup did better. Is there ANY remaining questions how bad the turbo downgrade was for these models? WOW!!! if anyone questions how undesirable turbos are again just (gob)smack with this little statistic.

Cute story by the way about the employee saying demand for Cayman is through the roof.. reminds me of that Iraqi general who was on tv talking about how they were going to crush the enemy as a massive USA bomb blew up right behind him while he was on air...

or Kelly Anne Conway in anything she is forced to say. Both cringeworthy spokespeople, but we can respect and admire them for their dedication to their bosses. Sometimes that's life, and you just have to do your job! Nothing wrong with that Porsche tour guide person.
Attached Images   
Old 06-23-2017, 09:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Again, back out March and both the Cayman and the 911 were ahead of last year. March was an awful month due to the horrible weather across the U.S. Meaningless data until you have a much longer period. You're bending a very limited sample to fit your narrative. Need to let it play out before any actual objective conclusions can be drawn.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:14 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Again, back out March and both the Cayman and the 911 were ahead of last year. March was an awful month due to the horrible weather across the U.S. Meaningless data until you have a much longer period. You're bending a very limited sample to fit your narrative. Need to let it play out before any actual objective conclusions can be drawn.
Also you have to keep in mind that the 718 was not designed for the US market. It could very well be flying out of the showrooms in the Chinese market. The employee isn't necessarily lying.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:17 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I was having a lot of schadenfreudish fun there for a second you know?...

Ok mr #funspunge, tell me, money where your mouth is: now that you're in the market again.. you going for a 718s booster or a 981 Spyder? (We all know the answer Miss 981 Spyder just wants to you to acknowledge who your daddy is)
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2017, 10:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Also you have to keep in mind that the 718 was not designed for the US market. It could very well be flying out of the showrooms in the Chinese market. The employee isn't necessarily lying.
This and the fact that car sales are down throughout the US is likely the reason for the poor sales.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:31 PM
kram718s
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a link to May's numbers. 911's down 466, year to date, Cayman/Boxster down 632, year to date. *US Market* Macan sales doing well, as they're a family vehicle that most can afford, without breaking the bank.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300467286.html
Old 06-24-2017, 04:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I was having a lot of schadenfreudish fun there for a second you know?...

Ok mr #funspunge, tell me, money where your mouth is: now that you're in the market again.. you going for a 718s booster or a 981 Spyder? (We all know the answer Miss 981 Spyder just wants to you to acknowledge who your daddy is)
Of course I'd prefer the Spyder, I have zero interest in a 718, but that's just my personal preference, not necessarily representative of others. And my issue with the 718 isn't really the motor, though I prefer NA, it's the aesthetics. They destroyed the front end of the car IMO - I think it looks incredibly plain and just awful and could never own one. The motor I might be able to live with if the car were beautiful and organic.

BTW, we complain about the sound on the 718, but the sound on the Spyder was the one drawback to owning it. Love it under power, but the fake popping off throttle on decel got old after a while. It's just too over the top. And if you shut off PSE, you get a buzzy resonance in the exhaust that's even more annoying. It's the one thing I would have changed on the car. I'd still own the car though.

Quick Reply: 718S Test Drive