718S Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 07:06 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Of course they could have made it fit. Porsche's unwritten motto has always been "The impossible costs a little more." Failing that, they could have just kept shipping the older NA 6-cylinder engines in the 982 platform.

Trouble is, tax authorities around the world have done their part to make sure that it costs a lot more. Here in the US, we're saddled with the 718 because it's the only thing they can economically offer for sale in the Asian markets. Porsche knew that this would provoke emotions ranging from annoyance to disgust to spite -- and even worse, indifference -- but the numbers made too much sense to justify any other strategy. And hey, if it safeguards the marketing moat they've built around the 911, so much the better.
I'm glad I have what I have but I usually always look ahead to see what I might want in the future. Right now, that does not include any new Boxster with a 4 cylinder.

Porsche has very often offered a couple of different engine combinations: 911 and 911S, Boxster/Cayman and Boxster S/Cayman S and now they offer a choice of a 4 or 6 in the Macan line. So why not offer the 4 cylinder in the Boxster/Cayman line for those who want it as well as the 6 NA?

Well I guess the positive side of this is that our 6 cylinder models might hold their value more now.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:30 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
See below Porsche official press release Jan 2017

Porsche Sets New Sales Record

"There were 12,848 deliveries of the 718 Boxster, exceeding last year's result by 9 per cent. Meanwhile, the legend of the Porsche 911 continues: With a total of 32,409 models delivered, sales of the 911 once again grew by 2 per cent, helping it to maintain its special position in the market for exclusive sportscars. The Macan reinforced its position as the best-selling Porsche with 95,642 vehicles delivered, representing an increase of 19 per cent."

link http://www.porsche.com/australia/_ne...l-de&id=422260
How can one compare the 718 Boxster sales, not grouped together with the 718 Cayman, to the 911 sales that include all of it's variants? It seems to me that they're just cab and coupe variants of the 718.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:42 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Of course they could have made it fit. Porsche's unwritten motto has always been "The impossible costs a little more." Failing that, they could have just kept shipping the older NA 6-cylinder engines in the 982 platform.

Trouble is, tax authorities around the world have done their part to make sure that it costs a lot more. Here in the US, we're saddled with the 718 because it's the only thing they can economically offer for sale in the Asian markets. Porsche knew that this would provoke emotions ranging from annoyance to disgust to spite -- and even worse, indifference -- but the numbers made too much sense to justify any other strategy. And hey, if it safeguards the marketing moat they've built around the 911, so much the better.
The tariff benchmark is 3.0liter.

Porsche did this for a couple of reasons and the primary one (I believe and just my hypothesis - not fact) is that the performance gap between the 987 and 911 was too small. Porsche has to sell cars as well and the things that sell cars today are stats. HP stats, 0-60 stats, and MPG stats. Enthusiasts make up a larger demographic in this brand but it's still not enough of the new car buyers. Porsche made a car that they can sell and a really good one. That being said, I'll likely never have a newer that 2016 Porsche sportscar because of the turbos and excessive electronic nannies.... but that is what is in fact needed to keep up in the marketplace.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:11 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it comes down to this

981 = Better sound

718 = Better performance
Old 02-28-2017, 12:36 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
The tariff benchmark is 3.0liter.

Porsche did this for a couple of reasons and the primary one (I believe and just my hypothesis - not fact) is that the performance gap between the 987 and 911 was too small. Porsche has to sell cars as well and the things that sell cars today are stats. HP stats, 0-60 stats, and MPG stats. Enthusiasts make up a larger demographic in this brand but it's still not enough of the new car buyers. Porsche made a car that they can sell and a really good one. That being said, I'll likely never have a newer that 2016 Porsche sportscar because of the turbos and excessive electronic nannies.... but that is what is in fact needed to keep up in the marketplace.
I'm not sure if I am following this the same way... Are you suggesting Porsche introduced the flat-4 in the 718 in order to widen the performance gap to the 911? The 718 is significantly more powerful and quicker than its predecessor, so if the goal was to widen the gap, I would have expected the 718 to have arrived in a much softer state of tune?
Old 02-28-2017, 12:59 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
I'm not sure if I am following this the same way... Are you suggesting Porsche introduced the flat-4 in the 718 in order to widen the performance gap to the 911? The 718 is significantly more powerful and quicker than its predecessor, so if the goal was to widen the gap, I would have expected the 718 to have arrived in a much softer state of tune?
I do believe this. The new/current 911 is also much faster than the last. There is also the fact that a 3.0/6 is more prestigious on paper than a 4 cylinder. This helps a great deal to "separate" the level of car. At one point, from the door handle forward they were the same car with the same engine - different tune and different place in the car.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:13 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
Yes, it narrows the performance gap in terms of pure numbers. But there is a lot more to an engine than performance and "noise." Porsche's engineers are on record as saying that they were ordered to make the two-seaters less competitive with the 911, in more or less so many words. Some things were given, and -- unlike the usual case with a new model or facelift -- some things were taken away. The net effect is to make the 718 a less-appealing alternative to the 911 than the 981 was.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:45 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Yes, it narrows the performance gap in terms of pure numbers. But there is a lot more to an engine than performance and "noise." Porsche's engineers are on record as saying that they were ordered to make the two-seaters less competitive with the 911, in more or less so many words. Some things were given, and -- unlike the usual case with a new model or facelift -- some things were taken away. The net effect is to make the 718 a less-appealing alternative to the 911 than the 981 was.
Answer me quickly:
What comes to mind when you say "FLAT 6"?
What comes to mind when you say "FLAT 4"?
Old 02-28-2017, 03:53 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

flat 4 = Subaru....Not knocking the WRX is pretty bad *** but in all honesty that's what comes to mind
Old 03-01-2017, 10:36 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

For me, not even a choice...
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2017, 06:51 AM
michaelscain
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by niche
I think it comes down to this

981 = Better sound

718 = Better performance
Correction!

981 = Great sound, Great Performance

718 = Soulless Sound, Better performance
Old 03-02-2017, 09:25 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Here is something to ponder.....

The younger generation of car guys/gals primarily grew up with turbo engined performance cars and from what I have seen at recent car events this up and coming group prefers these engines since they tend to be easier to boost performance.

In addition to keeping the engine size under 3.0 liters it's very possible Porsche has identified this as the future market for the Boxster/Cayman and the turbo thus makes some sense.

Having said that, I doubt Porsche will alienate their existing customer base that grew up on primarily NA cars and so they will likely continue to put NA cars into the higher end models such as the Spyder/GT4 and same with the GT 911's. Being further along in their careers this older generation can afford to spend more on these NA cars.

Something for everyone and personally I think it's brilliant. Who knows, with time the guys that grew up on NA engines may come around to realize that Porsche did a great job with the 4 cylinder.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:36 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Afshin, you are probably right. To me it would make sense to satisfy all Porsche customers. Porsche has to be noting that the sales of the 718 cars are down, while 991 sales are up (barely), and that it's the Macan that is really the cash cow for PAG at this point. As for the 4 cylinder, it may be an excellent engine technically, and the turbocharging isn't the deal breaker, but I just can't see spending that kind of money on a 4 cylinder car. Not when there are still great 6,8, 10 and 12 cylinder cars out there.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:43 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What comes to mind when you say "FLAT 4"?

The "people's car" not that there's anything wrong with that, I've seen plenty of cool bugs, my brother has a very cool bug based dune buggy.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:42 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I do believe this. The new/current 911 is also much faster than the last. There is also the fact that a 3.0/6 is more prestigious on paper than a 4 cylinder. This helps a great deal to "separate" the level of car. At one point, from the door handle forward they were the same car with the same engine - different tune and different place in the car.
Agree with you on the perceived "prestige", and that is definitely a reason. However, it is plain to see that the performance gap has narrowed even with the 991/2 turbo 6 impact. Porsche could have maintained or increased the gap, but they narrowed it. Your statement was that the flat 4 was introduced to narrow the performance gap. Well, as you, Noah, et al have said, there are many reasons why the flat 4 was introduced (and relative prestige is one of them), but as a means to widen the performance gap, well, that just did not happen...

Quick Reply: 718S Test Drive