Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster Top Fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 12:07 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts
Default Boxster Top Fix

This has been covered before but still might be useful.

My 2005 Boxster S had a common problem. After raising the top, the edge landed outside of the grooves along the window radius:

I lowered the top a bit more than halfway. Between the window frame and edge of the top you can see all the straps and strings that guide the top as it closes. Previous fixes describe reaching into the small gap, but I found a better way. Notice the 2 velcro wraps that attach the edge of the headliner to the frame:

Once these velcro loops are open, the headliner can easily move aside enough for very easy access:

The photo shows the inside of the top. The elastic strap that provides tension to guide the edge into the window groove is attached with a T15 screw to a frame element (center left):

With the screw undone, the strap can be pulled out. Note the triangular fabric patch that pulls on the edge, and the spaced holes in the strap for the screw. Replacing the strap with the screw in a new hole makes the strap shorter, and increases the tension. For me, I had to move 2 holes on the left side and 1 hole on the right side:

This only took about 20 minutes, but the top now closes with the edge in the groove, without having to reach out and tuck it in place:

Old 02-17-2017, 03:08 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Good info and agrees with what I've seen posted on other forums and experienced myself firsthand.
One suggestion when shortening the elastic band is to simply loosen the torx screw a turn or two, just enough to slip the elastic out (like unbuttoning a shirt). Move down to the next "buttonhole" in the elastic and slip it over the screwhead and re-tighten. This avoids completely removing the screw and the risk of dropping it into an abyss, and the need to re-thread the screw again into the metal bow.

In my case I may need to re-do one side, using the next shorter buttonhole, as the top occasionally still falls outside the channel on that side.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:27 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm gonna have to give this a try soon. Thanks so much for posting these. My top is original and in remarkably amazing condition, save the occasional reluctance to tuck nicely behind the side trim, as you've noted here.

Nice top color too!

Dave
'05 987S Arctic Silver over Sea Blue / Metropolitan Blue
'92 968 SP3 Midnight Blue Metallic over Cashmere
'88 944 NA Stone Grey over Light Grey (retired)
Old 02-20-2017, 02:56 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Just fixed mine today, had the same issue of the top not going into the rain channel on my 2006 Boxster. I first tried moving down a hole or two to tighten the strap, but it was hopeless, as the strap had lost all elasticity. Moving one hole wasn't enough, and two holes caused the straps to break.

I then bought a 3/4" x 1 yard black elastic strap from Wal-Mart for around $1.50, and some "extra strength" polyester thread for around $2, and sewed on a new strap. I used a scissor to make holes in the new strap. Took me around an hour to measure, cut, sew, and install the new straps, but it fixed my issue for a tiny fraction of the $400 the dealer wanted to fix this.

A few tips:
  1. As the OP says, undo the roof liner velco to give more comfortable two handed access to the screw/frame that the end of the strap mounts to.
  2. You will need a very short handled screwdriver, or preferably a small ratchet wrench that holds screwdriver bits. Space around the screw that holds the strap end is limited. It's a Torx T15 head. I used one of these mini-ratchet screwdriver sets: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ma...-0588626p.html
  3. As Spokayman says, don't undo the screws all the way. Loosening it a couple turns is enough to easily remove and reinstall the strap. If you loosen it all the way, you might lose the screw, and reinstalling the screw blindly is difficult.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:45 PM
Simon Giles
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow, easy fix

So, I didn't even notice this when I bought the 2008 S, thought they looked OK, it wasn't until I had her serviced at an independent that he made note of it. He said he tried to adjust but there wasn't any left to adjust with. Tonight one of the straps came completely loose, forcing me to look at it. Found this thread and 20 minutes later, both sides adjusted down by 2 holes both sides and it all works fine....so the independent wasn't being 100% honest now was he....tut tut....now, airbag warning light to fix!
Old 06-18-2017, 10:19 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Finally tackled this little 20-min project today. Worked like a charm! Thanks so much for the above instructions and visuals. I moved both side "button holes" two places. Was done in no time.

I'd suggest getting a T15 1/4" drive socket and a 1/4" ratchet to make easy work of it. Be super careful not to drop the screw/washer combo, and it helps to have someone hold a light for you.

Looking forward to closing the top with confidence that it will tuck in right, every time.

Dave in Chicago
'05 987S Arctic Silver / Sea Blue / Metropolitan Blue
'92 968 SP3 Midnight Blue Metallic
'88 944 NA Stone Grey / Grey
Old 07-12-2017, 08:14 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wizee
Just fixed mine today, had the same issue of the top not going into the rain channel on my 2006 Boxster. I first tried moving down a hole or two to tighten the strap, but it was hopeless, as the strap had lost all elasticity. Moving one hole wasn't enough, and two holes caused the straps to break.

I then bought a 3/4" x 1 yard black elastic strap from Wal-Mart for around $1.50, and some "extra strength" polyester thread for around $2, and sewed on a new strap. I used a scissor to make holes in the new strap. Took me around an hour to measure, cut, sew, and install the new straps, but it fixed my issue for a tiny fraction of the $400 the dealer wanted to fix this.

A few tips:
  1. As the OP says, undo the roof liner velco to give more comfortable two handed access to the screw/frame that the end of the strap mounts to.
  2. You will need a very short handled screwdriver, or preferably a small ratchet wrench that holds screwdriver bits. Space around the screw that holds the strap end is limited. It's a Torx T15 head. I used one of these mini-ratchet screwdriver sets: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ma...-0588626p.html
  3. As Spokayman says, don't undo the screws all the way. Loosening it a couple turns is enough to easily remove and reinstall the strap. If you loosen it all the way, you might lose the screw, and reinstalling the screw blindly is difficult.
Update: One of my straps broke too :-(

Easy fix though, per above. Spot on and all working as it should. Bought my 'button elastic' at the local Joanne store. Wife has the sewing skills.

Thanks for the info. Big help to me and my brittle old no-longer-very-elastic straps on the 11 year old top :-)

Dave in Chicago

'05 987S
'92 968 SP3
'88 944 NA
Old 07-28-2017, 08:28 AM
BionicTulip
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The issue is that the strip is elastic, and the elastic wears out over time. So advancing it to a closer screw hole can put undesirable tension on the other parts. A better solution is to add new elastic, either by cutting that strip out and replacing it with a new strip, or by attaching a new strip to or near both anchor points (leaving the old strip in place, but restoring elasticity).

Ian
2008 Boxster base
2006 Carerra 4S cab

Quick Reply: Boxster Top Fix