Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jerky PDK off the brakes on 2015 BGTS (01/15 build date). Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 02:25 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Jerky PDK off the brakes on 2015 BGTS (01/15 build date). Normal?

Hey gang, just curious if my brother's new (but used) Boxster GTS I bought for him with identical miles on my car (6,300 both), exhibits normal behavior. When releasing the brakes (no throttle), the car starts creeping in a jerky fashion 2 or 3 times, then creeps normally. It's like releasing the clutch on a manual car with the clutch disc warped, but obviously milder. Just want to describe the sensation. My 2016 (bought new) Cayman GTS is perfectly smooth. However, there's an open campaign on my brother's car related to the PDK (it's a DME reprogramming), but the tech doesn't know exactly what it's supposed to fix; only that is something about the PDK. Doesn't feel bad at all, but just wanted to know if other 2015 owners have had the same behavior, and if the campaign fixed it. I stated the build date (01/15) to compare with other cars. Ideally, the input from another 2015 GTS owner with the same build date would be awesome. I assume it doesn't matter if it's Boxster or Cayman, or even GTS or S, correct? Thanks in advance for your help. And no, we have no dealer anywhere close (300+ miles). Tech said no need to do anything immediately, but I'm curious if that was the fix. By the way, the only other difference with mine is the Boxster takes longer to automatically shift to 1st in manual mode when stopping. I always drive in manual mode, but the 2-1 shift I typically let the tranny do it automatically, since that shift feels more strained than all others (same with manual transmissions). The Boxster does it right at idle, like 800 rpm, while my car at 1K or so. Shifts exactly like my car everywhere else. Thanks again.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:02 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Not normal. See what it does after the DME update. That will reinitialize the controller if nothing else.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:41 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks man. Yeah, I'd like to know what the DME reprogramming does. Funny my brother drove the car hard yesterday (he drove it for the first time), and I didn't feel any more jerking after that. The car was owned by a woman before, and spewed a ton of carbon when I got on it a little bit after getting the car, meaning it was probably driven like a minivan. Now it doesn't spew anything, other than the normal amount of particulates of DI engines. That tells me maybe it needed to be driven like it's designed to be. He he. At any rate, nothing concerning, but was just curious of what the DME improvements were. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Jerky PDK off the brakes on 2015 BGTS (01/15 build date). Normal?