Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 Steering wheel upgrade - yes it did work!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 12:43 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987 Steering wheel upgrade - yes it did work!

I really like the look of the later generation sport steering wheel to replace my 3 spoke design. I was skeptical about fit and electronic complexities so made the decision cautiously...watched many YouTube clips, read forums and studied photos. I dreaded any rewriting that maybe needed for fear of setting the bag off even with the battery disconnected. After weighing it all out, I decided to forge ahead. Finding a manual steering wheel cut my odds down quite a bit, enough so that I accepted a PDK. I knew I could remove the paddles later. So I pulled the old one out and braced myself for the non-compatibility of the plugs and wires to the airbag and horn. I have a 2005 Boxster S. The donor PDK steering wheel is from a 2011 Cayenne. I thought no way is this going to be straight forward. This is why I'm posting this...for those that may be considering this, it absolutely was plug and play. The splines fit perfect. The plugs were a direct match (amazing)! The new wheel feels fantastic. I have not removed the paddles but I play with them so not in a rush to. Just thought I'd share this. Btw, I have the old wheel & airbag on eBay for $495.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:14 PM
Illini675
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great information! The wheel looks great!

I actually have this sport design wheel in my 987.2 Spyder, and was wondering if I could swap it out for the newer style wheel from the GT4 / 981 Spyder / 718 generation cars. I haven't seen anyone make that conversion yet, but perhaps you'll be the inspiration
Old 11-25-2016, 07:48 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

No guts, no glory! You took a chance and it paid off. Glad it worked out. Looks great
Old 01-08-2018, 02:02 PM
Vegas987
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the horn work after you did your Cayenne wheel swap/upgrade? I'm getting ready to do the same wheel swap with an R wheel.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:56 AM
Ashy_Anklez
Intermediate

That looks sweet
Old 02-08-2018, 01:32 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Nice job and thanks for posting. If you scan through this forum there's 3 or so other threads on doing exactly this. I think this is going to be the "must do upgrade" for 2018!

I am not far behind you. Looking at picking up a 981 Spyder wheel and dropping it in the 987.

Thanks again for posting.

Last edited by Zeus993; 02-10-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:21 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Is a PDK wheel and a manual wheel the same once the paddles are removed? Or is there a difference in the trim pieces, etc, to allow for the paddles? Thanks
Old 01-17-2019, 05:36 AM
villaman
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by FIA-F1
I really like the look of the later generation sport steering wheel to replace my 3 spoke design. I was skeptical about fit and electronic complexities so made the decision cautiously...watched many YouTube clips, read forums and studied photos. I dreaded any rewriting that maybe needed for fear of setting the bag off even with the battery disconnected. After weighing it all out, I decided to forge ahead. Finding a manual steering wheel cut my odds down quite a bit, enough so that I accepted a PDK. I knew I could remove the paddles later. So I pulled the old one out and braced myself for the non-compatibility of the plugs and wires to the airbag and horn. I have a 2005 Boxster S. The donor PDK steering wheel is from a 2011 Cayenne. I thought no way is this going to be straight forward. This is why I'm posting this...for those that may be considering this, it absolutely was plug and play. The splines fit perfect. The plugs were a direct match (amazing)! The new wheel feels fantastic. I have not removed the paddles but I play with them so not in a rush to. Just thought I'd share this. Btw, I have the old wheel & airbag on eBay for $495.
Hi....if you are still on the forum...may i please ask what you did to get the horn working ?.....ive just done mine with a Sport design steering wheel and the horn doesn't work ?
Old 01-17-2019, 03:44 PM
Vegas987
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealer or indy shop with proper Porsche equipment need to reprogram the steering wheel type for the car. There is an option for a 'sports' wheel that should reenable the horn. I have the same wheel in my 987.1 and was advised to do the same but haven't gotten around to this yet. Numerous people have confirmed this in older threads on this topic.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:58 PM
villaman
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Vegas987
Dealer or indy shop with proper Porsche equipment need to reprogram the steering wheel type for the car. There is an option for a 'sports' wheel that should reenable the horn. I have the same wheel in my 987.1 and was advised to do the same but haven't gotten around to this yet. Numerous people have confirmed this in older threads on this topic.
Hi Vegas.

Thank you so much for your help and reply...that good to hear. In the UK it would fail it's annual test (MOT),...so will look to get this looked at.

Thanks again Simon
Old 05-04-2020, 05:43 PM
xxx9alex
3rd Gear

Hello, I have the same issue. After coding the care to multi function wheel the horn works, but when shuting down the car(turn of ignition) the horn gives a short signal. Any ideas on how to solve this?
Old 05-04-2020, 05:57 PM
villaman
3rd Gear

Hi

interestingly I have the exact same issue in my 997 where when I turn off the ignition the horn sounds.... whereas in my previous 987 with the same steering wheel the horn did not work at all.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:06 PM
xxx9alex
3rd Gear

Hi,

I assume it is a coding issue. A helpful way would be if you could procide a picture of the coding in your 987. Would help me a lot.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:30 PM
Shakeyourbrakes
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have a solution to the horn issue? I swapped my steering wheel, recoded with Foxwell to get the horn working, and now I get a single beep when I turn the key off.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:59 AM
Shakeyourbrakes
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xxx9alex
Hello, I have the same issue. After coding the care to multi function wheel the horn works, but when shuting down the car(turn of ignition) the horn gives a short signal. Any ideas on how to solve this?
did you ever sort this out?

Quick Reply: 987 Steering wheel upgrade - yes it did work!