Sponsored by:

718 without Bose option?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 01:42 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 718 without Bose option?

I'm working on a build for an AX/Track 718 S and am thinking of not spending the $$$ for the Bose stereo option. I'm not ordering nav, carplay etc either just all of the performance options. I currently have a '15 GT3 that it's not even an option in and think the stereo sounds just fine. Does anyone have a 718 with the base stereo and what are your thoughts?
Old 11-13-2016, 03:13 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 981 Cayman with the base speaker set. It's pretty bad. Kind of like listening to AM car radio in the 70's. Although my Cayman is primarily a track car, it would have been nice to have better audio to and from the track. Like you, I did not bother with the pricey nav or infotainment options.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:22 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Sam, my Spyder has the base radio with Bose. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch so the radio just isn't hugely important to me. Plus, my listening leans towards news and sports talk anyway and that's only when I'm not listening to the wonderful melodies coming from behind. Nonetheless, I ordered the Bose because I had it on my '05 Boxster S and thought it was a worthy upgrade. Not so on the Spyder IMO. Wish I hadn't ordered it. Admittedly, I haven't compared the sound to a base radio without Bose, but had I to do all over again I wouldn't have opted for it. Having said that, an "upgraded" sound system has currency with some buyers when you go to sell the car so there's that aspect to consider, but otherwise I say pass.

Anxious to hear other Bose owners weigh in.

Good luck with finalizing your build. An agonizing process at times, for sure.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:27 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

One caveat and I may be wrong about this: I thought I read somewhere that the Bose system had been reconfigured or modified in some way for the 718, so perhaps my comments wouldn't necessarily apply to the car you are ordering. Again, not sure if this is true. I may be thinking of something else entirely.

Might be best to try to get down to a dealer that maybe has a 718 equipped with Bose and hear for yourself (probably dumb to say as I'm sure you've already considered doing so).
Old 11-14-2016, 12:45 AM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Seems like most of the dealers add the Bose option if for no other reason than to increase the profit margin on cars ordered for stock. I'm like you and rarely use the radios for anything other than distraction on longer drives but with the V-Dub sounding exhaust note on the 718's it might be needed to keep one's sanity. I test drove a 718S Boxster a couple of days ago and as far as I'm concerned I really don't care what it sounds like - that low-end torque is just what I'm looking for in an autocross car. Actually I'm building a 718 Cayman S in Sapphire Blue w/blk std interior, sport seats plus, PDK, PTV, SPASM, SCHRONO, 20" silver CS wheels and maybe Bose.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:26 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

I haven't had a chance to test one out yet, but from what Porsche is saying there's no amplifier in the new "base stereo/sound package plus" platforms — it's all powered off the internal amp in the PCM. If that's the case, you've only got about 100-150W maximum RMS wattage, and there's no way you're going to get great sound out of that system. You could only hope for mediocre.

In my personal opinion, having a decent sounding stereo is something that every p-car should have. Even if you're not an audiophile, you shouldn't have a car of that caliber with a stereo system that doesn't satisfy you. Not to mention, dealers option Bose because they don't want to lose when the car doesn't have the "premium sound" the client wants. That might be something to consider just from a resale standpoint. Unless you're leasing, then scratch that last thought.

Just my 2¢
Old 11-14-2016, 07:36 AM
Autocutter
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heck if your 718 is primarily to be a track day car you don't need the weight of a good stereo system. If you want a part time decent sounding stereo, just get a Bluetooth speaker system which you can remove from the car as needed, plus it is a cheap solution that works.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:12 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Autocutter
Heck if your 718 is primarily to be a track day car you don't need the weight of a good stereo system. If you want a part time decent sounding stereo, just get a Bluetooth speaker system which you can remove from the car as needed, plus it is a cheap solution that works.
a $90k car with a $100 bluetooth speaker sitting on the dash, just to save 5lbs on an upgraded stereo — that sounds a bit out there, but I could be alone on that.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:35 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by SamG
I'm working on a build for an AX/Track 718 S and am thinking of not spending the $$$ for the Bose stereo option. I'm not ordering nav, carplay etc either just all of the performance options. I currently have a '15 GT3 that it's not even an option in and think the stereo sounds just fine. Does anyone have a 718 with the base stereo and what are your thoughts?
Originally Posted by SamG
Seems like most of the dealers add the Bose option if for no other reason than to increase the profit margin on cars ordered for stock. I'm like you and rarely use the radios for anything other than distraction on longer drives but with the V-Dub sounding exhaust note on the 718's it might be needed to keep one's sanity. I test drove a 718S Boxster a couple of days ago and as far as I'm concerned I really don't care what it sounds like - that low-end torque is just what I'm looking for in an autocross car. Actually I'm building a 718 Cayman S in Sapphire Blue w/blk std interior, sport seats plus, PDK, PTV, SPASM, SCHRONO, 20" silver CS wheels and maybe Bose.
Every review I've heard says the base stereo sounds like garbage compared to the Bose which sounds 'adequate'.

I guess it only matters if you listen to, and really love music. If you're just listening news radio and podcasts, then audio quality really doesn't matter.

Or if you're a non-audiophile then probably won't matter to you as well.

Also depends on the type of music you listen to, some it just doesn't matter what kind of sound system you listen to.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I have the base radio in my C2S. It's positively awful. It makes noise, but I wouldn't call it music.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:58 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a track car... why bother?
Old 11-14-2016, 09:15 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I also have a 2014 GT3. I spent my adult life in the high end audio business so take that into consideration. The GT3 base (only system available) stereo is terrible with a honking harsh very forward upper mid-range. It sounds like Porsche went out of their way to make it sound like a poorly designed horn speaker. I can not listen to music on it but spend most of my time listening to news or sports where this characteristic is still annoying but tolerable.
If the GT3 system does not offend you than it is likely the base system in the Boxster will be adequate.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:42 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

I think I'll go ahead and spec it with the Bose if for no other reason for possible resale - won't get a dime more for the car but might keep someone from buying it without it. Bose should really be the standard radio in all P cars but of course they would just raise the base price $990
Old 11-16-2016, 01:23 PM
718Owner
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 718 owner without bose

Hello OP. I have a 718 without Bose. I bought it from the dealer. Truth be told if I would have ordered the car I would have included the Bose system. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the decent stock system. I am a bit of a music junkie and have a fairly high end system at my house. The base system is OK and it'll do what you need, even with the top down if you have the Boxster. The Bose will be better (I have it in my daily driver, Audi A6). I think you will get your money's worth if you get it. However, if you are more performance oriented and have a limited budget, you could put your money there and probably be fine with the stock system. Hope this helps. You may want to listen to both as it's a little subjective.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:17 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely the Bose is better than the base. My Spyder came with it and I am very happy about it. There are times I do drive with the roof up and the exhaust valves closed so then being able to get some good tunes going is definitely a plus. The Bose has a decent enough sound that should satisfy most listeners. Not the discerning ones though.

Quick Reply: 718 without Bose option?