Sponsored by:

718 without Bose option?

Old 08-14-2017, 01:57 PM
718Owner
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No bose

Originally Posted by SamG
I'm working on a build for an AX/Track 718 S and am thinking of not spending the $$$ for the Bose stereo option. I'm not ordering nav, carplay etc either just all of the performance options. I currently have a '15 GT3 that it's not even an option in and think the stereo sounds just fine. Does anyone have a 718 with the base stereo and what are your thoughts?
So I have a 718 S which I bought off the lot. While I would have purchased one with Bose if they had it, the manual S I purchased had the stock system only. Long story short, the passenger compartment is so small that I don't think bose makes a huge difference and after a year with the stock system I find it to be OK and acceptable -- especially with high quality digital input from an iPod or iPhone. You may want to consider spending your $$$ on performance options. That being said, we all have different ears.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SamG
I think I'll go ahead and spec it with the Bose if for no other reason for possible resale - won't get a dime more for the car but might keep someone from buying it without it. Bose should really be the standard radio in all P cars but of course they would just raise the base price $990
Agree. Bose is attractive option to potential buyers. I ordered it in my car although I do not have PCM. The sound is surprisingly good - not great, but better than the stock system (I've compared both). You won't regret it.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:16 PM
Viffermike
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good lord

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread about the base/Bose stereos in 718s. I ordered my car with the base Sound System Plus on purpose for two major reasons:

- because I abhor Bose anything, and
- because the base (SSP) stereo's sound is relatively easy to upgrade.

Anyone who says that you won't be able to get good sound out of the base stereo is plainly not very knowledgeable about audio upgrades in cars, much less about sound quality in general.

The SPP runs off an internal amplifier and is not connected to a fiber optics-based MOST network. Those are huge advantages because the PCM is outputting an analog speaker-level signal straight to the car's speakers. That means adding an amplifier, better speakers, and a DSP unit is pretty simple. If you order the Bose, you're automatically handcuffed by a MOST system -- and, in the case of PCM4, a MOST 150 system, which is not compatible with any aftermarket MOST adapters such as a MObridge unit yet.

In addition, the doors have an OEM space large enough for an 8-inch driver. That means that with a bass driver designed for free-air enclosures, good sound deadening on the doors, and enough amp power, you may not even need to add a true subwoofer.

Finally, your sound quality is only as good as your source material. If you're using 256kbps or lower digital files from a streaming service, you're never going to get good sound. One great thing about PCM4 is that it will read most lossless digital formats except AIFF, and you've got not one but two SD card slots at your disposal for lossless audio files. Use that and the CD player -- and if you absolutely have to stream, Spotify Extreme is really your only halfway decent option.
The following 2 users liked this post by Viffermike:
cgng30 (04-22-2021), George from MD (04-26-2021)
Old 08-15-2017, 07:19 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Viffermike
There's a lot of misinformation in this thread about the base/Bose stereos in 718s. I ordered my car with the base Sound System Plus on purpose for two major reasons:

Anyone who says that you won't be able to get good sound out of the base stereo is plainly not very knowledgeable about audio upgrades in cars, much less about sound quality in general.

The SPP runs off an internal amplifier and is not connected to a fiber optics-based MOST network. Those are huge advantages because the PCM is outputting an analog speaker-level signal straight to the car's speakers. That means adding an amplifier, better speakers, and a DSP unit is pretty simple. If you order the Bose, you're automatically handcuffed by a MOST system -- and, in the case of PCM4, a MOST 150 system, which is not compatible with any aftermarket MOST adapters such as a MObridge unit yet.

In addition, the doors have an OEM space large enough for an 8-inch driver. That means that with a bass driver designed for free-air enclosures, good sound deadening on the doors, and enough amp power, you may not even need to add a true subwoofer.

Finally, your sound quality is only as good as your source material. If you're using 256kbps or lower digital files from a streaming service, you're never going to get good sound. One great thing about PCM4 is that it will read most lossless digital formats except AIFF, and you've got not one but two SD card slots at your disposal for lossless audio files. Use that and the CD player -- and if you absolutely have to stream, Spotify Extreme is really your only halfway decent option.
^This Guy^

....I like this guy.
The following users liked this post:
George from MD (04-26-2021)
Old 08-15-2017, 07:25 PM
Viffermike
AutoX

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
^This Guy^

....I like this guy.
... and I like MusicarNW! Y'all have done great things with BMW systems, particularly with offering Jehnert drivers from across the pond ...

We may need to talk offline in the near future ... ;P
Old 08-16-2017, 03:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Well a) not everybody shares your distaste for Bose, particularly the latest iteration in the new Porsches and b) not everybody wants to rip apart their car and do aftermarket amps, subs and speakers. The base Porsche stereos, as they come stock, blow. The Bose is fine for most people, at least those that don't have an axe to grind against Bose.

But I agree, if you intend to rip out most of the system and replace it, the base radio is just fine for that...
Old 08-16-2017, 04:05 PM
Viffermike
AutoX

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Well a) not everybody shares your distaste for Bose, particularly the latest iteration in the new Porsches and b) not everybody wants to rip apart their car and do aftermarket amps, subs and speakers. The base Porsche stereos, as they come stock, blow. The Bose is fine for most people, at least those that don't have an axe to grind against Bose.

But I agree, if you intend to rip out most of the system and replace it, the base radio is just fine for that...
If you knew what I know about Bose, you'd feel the same way I do. Trust me on that. The audiophile community calls it the Harley-Davidson of audio for a reason.

And if you knew what I know (and, I suspect, what industry folk such as @12v Nick know) about what goes into (or doesn't, as it were) optional audio packages in many cars, you'd likely at least consider an aftermarket solution. "Ripping out" stereo equipment isn't nearly as involved as you might think if you understand your options and don't simply swallow what's force-fed to you by manufacturers.

But to each, their own. I'd just rather have a system selected and tuned to my expectations and taste for, in most cases, a fraction of the cost of any OEM audio upgrade. Fortunately, those with a 718 have that option rather easily. That's all I'm trying to convey here, in addition to providing well researched facts over assumptions.

Last edited by Viffermike; 08-16-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:20 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you knew what I know about Bose, you'd feel the same way I do. Trust me on that. The audiophile community calls it the Harley-Davidson of audio for a reason.

And if you knew what I know (and, I suspect, what industry folk such as @12v Nick know) about what goes into (or doesn't, as it were) optional audio packages in many cars, you'd likely at least consider an aftermarket solution. "Ripping out" stereo equipment isn't nearly as involved as you might think if you understand your options and don't simply swallow what's force-fed to you by manufacturers.

But to each, their own. I'd just rather have a system selected and tuned to my expectations and taste for, in most cases, a fraction of the cost of any OEM audio upgrade. Fortunately, those with a 718 have that option rather easily. That's all I'm trying to convey here, in addition to providing well researched facts over assumptions.

I share both sentiments. The issue with the assumed-aftermarket approach is that not everyone has a quality shop in their area and might not be the in-depth DIY type. For those situations, Bose does sound marginally better than base stereo for the average listener.

Now, that said, if someone were willing to lend me a 718 with Base Stereo for a few weeks, we might be able to develop a production "cure" that could be easily retrofit.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:38 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

And if you knew what I know (and, I suspect, what industry folk such as @12v Nick know) about what goes into (or doesn't, as it were) optional audio packages.
You're making the classic audiophile mistake, i.e., assuming that the average person can hear the difference or even cares that much. The average person, particularly one driving in these extremely loud cars, only cars about the general sound, not the finer details you audiophiles obsess over. Porsche offers a 95% solution and you're espousing revamping the entire system to get it to 97%.

The BOSE system, particularly the newer one in the latest cars, SOUNDS much better than the base radio, no question. I own both and the BOSE, while not audiophile quality, is way better to the ear than the base radio. I'm well aware that the BOSE has technical limitations at the extreme. Still manages to sound decent to the average ear and sell pretty well. If one wants/needs better, sure they can buy the base, give up space in the frunk for an amp, put a sub on the back deck (911), tear out and replace the speakers, and get a moderately better sounding system that they still can't hear very well over the roar of the intake and their tires.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:35 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

I had a GT4 with the Nav/PCM audio package (no Bose).

I had at the same time and still have a 981 BS with the Bose, both cars being 2016 models. The only reason I have Bose is that it was not possible to separate the Nav option from Bose in a 2016 model 981 BS. In 2015, one could order Nav without Bose in a BS and have the "upgraded" base stereo like the GT4 has.

Aaaannnyway, I preferred the sound of the GT4 stereo without Bose over my BS with Bose.

Bose Audio Pilot is useless. The speed control volume of the GT4 stereo works as it should.

The surround sound mode of the Bose stereo degrades audio quality compared to basic stereo mode.

Sound at any volume setting is better with the non-Bose stereo.

This is all subjective of course. I'm not an audiophile, but I do have around $8k invested in my 2-channel home audio system using equipment I bought used on Audiogon and eBay.

Bose makes some decent products, but car audio isn't one, IMO. The Harmon Kardon system I had in my 2012 E92 BMW was a massive improvement in audio quality compared to Bose in a 981.

Bottom line, if I could cherry pick my audio/electronics options in Porshce cars, I would not pay for Bose.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:20 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
<snips>
Bose makes some decent products...
I agree with everything you said except this. From my point of view Bose is expensive mid-fi at best.

Greg
audiophile (but not in the car--in the car it's just music)
ex-Bose owner
Old 08-18-2017, 12:40 AM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Not a 718, but I am very disappointed with Bose on my 991.2 C2 MT with TIDAL. Nick's tweeter upgrade definitely helps. However, honestly, if I was to do it over again, I think I might skip all of this and use high quality earbuds instead.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:33 AM
backeddy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As an audiophile, my eyes roll all the way around when I hear bose and quality in the same conversation. They are cheap drivers in cheap housings with horrible x overs and charge big $$$ for them.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:09 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by GregWormald
I agree with everything you said except this. From my point of view Bose is expensive mid-fi at best.

I suppose I should have qualified that statement. I don't like their audio speaker systems but I think their noise cancelling headphones and ear buds are decent performing but they cost more than they should.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:53 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Bose made their name in the industry by combining advanced acoustical theory with entry to mid level drivers(on lower power) to produce a sound that was far beyond what anyone thought those drivers could do. This performance was a breakthrough during their inception, and it's what eventually earned them a spot in the automotive field.

Using low-cost components and elaborate speaker enclosures allowed them to keep production costs way down for the manufacturer. And with the Bose name growing popularity, they could charge a premium for the option. Anyone in business knows this is the ideal situation for any manufacturer looking to maximize profit margins. Problem is that the cost to manufacture quality speakers has gone down substantially since this approach was introduced, but Bose, in an effort to maintain their placement in the industry, still insists on the classic methods – they just aren't effective anymore!

That's not to say that Bose is worse than what it used to be(although I wouldn't argue that they're better by any means). In general, we have access to more high-resolution and high-definition audio sources than we ever have before. That means that our reference for quality sound has substantially changed since the 80's. Since what we understand about the music listening experience will ultimate dictate our satisfaction with a certain system, more consumer awareness is a bds thing for Bose in the long run.

If I had to make a random guess, I would say that Bose is going to survive in the automotive industry riding on the back of the US Domestic market. I wouldn't be surprised at all if within the next 5-7 years we see them phased out of the European market altogether.....(nor would I be disappointed)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 718 without Bose option?