Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Swap Cars?

Old 10-27-2016, 11:33 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to Swap Cars?

Just thinking out loud here.

I've had my 2.7 Cayman for 2 years now, thinking about changing cars. I love the 981 and will not consider moving to a 718, although I may consider a 991 but prefer mid-engines.

Only reason I want to change my 981 is the color. I'm now tired of the basalt black! I would like either a white or metallic blue!

What's the best way to go about this? Look for a swap, or do a trade in? Or sell and buy?

If I go through the sale/buy process, I'll lose quite a lot of money to end up with just the same thing in a different color Just suck it up and sell and buy a newer car then?
Old 10-28-2016, 12:15 AM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably cheapest to get a wrap quite honestly. That being said i drive my car too much in various conditions to think a wrap is practical for me.

I bet you could do a trade/buy type deal at a dealer for minimal loss. If i was going to do this i would want to upgrade something else in the deal than just color (maybe more options, lower milage, certified warranty)
Old 10-28-2016, 12:24 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

You could have a professional wrap done which would save you thousands other than an even exchange with someone else.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:14 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

My thoughts EXACTLY guys - wrap it. And Red over black will not show any noticeable changes in the areas that are hard to get the wrap into.

A PCA member here wrapped his silver 997.2 in Orange. He had to paint the mirrors and the back grill. It looks STUNNING. Hopefully it will be just the mirrors in a 981.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:02 AM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the suggestions - I will have to look into the wrapping.

If it's going to cost me close to $10,000, then it's probably best just to sell and buy the same car in a different color? I love the 981, the way it looks and it's currently my DD so I don't need anymore power for it. But everytime I see a white or blue one, I just start drooling.

Do you know how dealers would tend to react if I offered a trade in for say a Boxster or an "S" of the same value? I don't mind giving them an extra $5k-10K for the "right" car.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:17 PM
66mustang
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

A wrap should be $2-5K depending on who does it, and if they go into the door jambs and trunks.

If you go to sell it, the dealer most likely will give you a trade in amount for your car. I bet it would be at least $10K to do it. The only real way to find out is actually go try it.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:28 PM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caymannyc
Thanks for the suggestions - I will have to look into the wrapping.

If it's going to cost me close to $10,000, then it's probably best just to sell and buy the same car in a different color? I love the 981, the way it looks and it's currently my DD so I don't need anymore power for it. But everytime I see a white or blue one, I just start drooling.

Do you know how dealers would tend to react if I offered a trade in for say a Boxster or an "S" of the same value? I don't mind giving them an extra $5k-10K for the "right" car.
Dealers aren't in the business to simply swap out cars so you will be giving them yours for the wholesale value and buying theirs for the retail value. They will make money on your deal and again when they sell your car to someone else.

Consumers never come out ahead or even when they simply want a comparable car in exchange for their car.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:58 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Dealers aren't in the business to simply swap out cars so you will be giving them yours for the wholesale value and buying theirs for the retail value. They will make money on your deal and again when they sell your car to someone else.

Consumers never come out ahead or even when they simply want a comparable car in exchange for their car.

Yeah I figured. I guess I'll just drive this one for another year or so and then buy a white car next!
Old 11-02-2016, 09:26 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by caymannyc
Yeah I figured. I guess I'll just drive this one for another year or so and then buy a white car next!

Good idea!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Swap Cars?