Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member - 987.2 Boxster - 1st Post

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 01:47 AM
johnbplus9
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default New member - 987.2 Boxster - 1st Post

Hi Rennlist 987-981 718 Forum members,

It's an honor to be joining your ranks as a 1st time Boxster owner and Rennlist member. I just purchased a CPO 2011 987.2 Boxster from the good folks at North Olmsted Porsche in Cleveland, OH.

As a nearly empty-nester our household is ready to add a two-seater. I'm a car enthusiast and have been a Boxster fan for a long time. I spent the better part of six months researching and settled either a 987.2 or 981, either base or S (the extra hp desired, but not as important as overall material condition of the car.) For me the six-speed manual was a must. Sales price in and of itself wasn't a limiting factor, but the out-the-door price had to be a good value.

I somewhat prefer the more traditional styling of the 987, but the 981 is a gorgeous car and the interior is an upgrade. I prefer the 981 overall integration and refinement, but appreciate the 987 hydraulic assist and old-school parking brake. Either car is superb and would be great. Don't get me wrong - 987.1 is fantastic and Cayman across the board is arguably the superior sports car, but searching for newer car and a roof that opens to the sky.

The CPO at North Olmstead was spec'd just right for me - 6MT, 18" wheels, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Bluetooth, heated and ventilated seats. Also has dimming mirrors and rain sensor which is ok. It doesn't have memory seats or PCM/navigation both of which I was ambivalent about. Would have enjoyed the 3.4 in the S, but 9A1 2.9 seems to be a very sweet motor in its own right. Suspension and brakes nearly identical.

The one concession for me was color - this car is Guards Red. Top of my list were grey, silver, white. However I've been surfing the internet looking at 356's in signal red, and all the 911s, Boxsters and Caymans in GR and the color has grown on me. I'm going to be ok with this (and perhaps will help me drive more courteously :-)

Along with CPO 2-year warranty, the car just completed minor service, received a new set of Michelin PS2s, a new battery and convertible top service. The car has always been serviced at the dealership and the shop says it is impeccable (thank you previous owner!).

I live in Texas so the dealership is putting it on a truck for me. I picked up indoor car cover, trickle charger, all-weather mats, a set of clear side markers and some plain satin finish license plate frames. Rubbing hands together in anticipation . . .

I've attached a few photos pulled from the dealer website - more when we have the new baby at home.

Looking forward to making a good home for this little red Boxster, and discussion with you in the forum!
Attached Images     
Old 10-25-2016, 02:29 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Beautiful!
Old 10-25-2016, 03:03 AM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Hello and Welcome johnbplus9. That is a mighty fine looking Boxster you have there.

And good choice on your color selection as I promise you, your 'hood does need another gray or black Porsche.

Eddie

Last edited by eddielasvegas; 10-26-2016 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:01 AM
johnbplus9
Track Day

Thank eddielasvegas, will do my best to have red bring a smile to neighbor's faces
Old 10-25-2016, 08:43 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats!! Beautiful car, enjoy.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:31 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I love the 987 Boxster - size, proportions are right. Your car is Guards is just great looking - use it well!!
Old 10-25-2016, 11:15 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

What a great roadster! Great colour too. Congrats!
Old 10-25-2016, 03:45 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Great looking Boxster, I started my P-car adventure with a similar car in Meteor Grey. Still love the 987.2 styling and I really like the wheels that yours has. Enjoy it to the fullest, you are gonna love it.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:56 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Congrats and enjoy! I bought my 987S in Texas and drove it home (nice drive, that).

I think you might grow to like the self-dimming mirrors and rain-sensing wipers more than you might have thought. I've come to REALLY like these features on the Boxster. Also, with good tires, I've found the Boxster to be about the best car I have ever driven in the rain.

I'm sure LED's are even more powerful, but the Bi-Xenons really work nice. Brights on a country road at night are like landing a plane. Very pleased thus far.

Car is beautiful. Welcome to Boxster land!

Dave
'05 987S Arctic Silver over Sea Blue
'92 968 SP3 Midnight Blue over race bucket ;-)
Old 10-25-2016, 08:57 PM
mbsl98
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the vented seats on my 987.2 but wouldn't have ordered them if I was spec'ing it new. Now I love them - a really positive extra even here in Boston. I did want the dimming outside mirrors and didn't get them. Miss them every time I am on highway at night.

One point about power. I have a partner at work with a new 981 base (bought in 2014). He was thinking he made a mistake not getting the S for the extra power. His problem really was that he was not running that sweet base in the right rpm range. If you run around at 3k or less, it will feel like a slug, but keep it at 4500 and up, where it really loves to be, and I bet you will find all the response you want for road use. Not that I don't love the added power of my S, but the base is really very good if driven properly (at higher rpm's than non-Porsche drivers would usually do for everyday use).
Old 10-25-2016, 09:52 PM
gregp714
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great, congrats!
Old 10-25-2016, 10:14 PM
johnbplus9
Track Day

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Congrats!! Beautiful car, enjoy.

Thank you Milehigh 981. Gorgeous Spyder!!
Old 10-25-2016, 10:16 PM
johnbplus9
Track Day

Originally Posted by Zeus993
What a great roadster! Great colour too. Congrats!

Thank you Zeus993. What an awe-inspiring stable of cars!
Old 10-25-2016, 10:17 PM
johnbplus9
Track Day

Originally Posted by meteor10
Great looking Boxster, I started my P-car adventure with a similar car in Meteor Grey. Still love the 987.2 styling and I really like the wheels that yours has. Enjoy it to the fullest, you are gonna love it.

Thank you Meteor10. Your car is bad**s!
Old 10-25-2016, 10:25 PM
johnbplus9
Track Day

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
Congrats and enjoy! I bought my 987S in Texas and drove it home (nice drive, that).

I think you might grow to like the self-dimming mirrors and rain-sensing wipers more than you might have thought. I've come to REALLY like these features on the Boxster. Also, with good tires, I've found the Boxster to be about the best car I have ever driven in the rain.

I'm sure LED's are even more powerful, but the Bi-Xenons really work nice. Brights on a country road at night are like landing a plane. Very pleased thus far.

Car is beautiful. Welcome to Boxster land!

Dave
'05 987S Arctic Silver over Sea Blue
'92 968 SP3 Midnight Blue over race bucket ;-)

Thank you Dave in Chicago. Your 987 S looks awesome and the drive must have been truly memorable. I dearly wanted to drive it home. In fact hoped to fly into Chicago where my brother lives, take the Amtrak to Cleveland, pick up the car together, drop him back in Chi and then drive home on the blue highways, stopping maybe in Springfield, MO or thereabouts. Alas neither of our schedules cooperated. Will have to plan a roadtrip, or seven. . . :-)

Thanks for thoughts on spec as well. Crossing fingers I chose right. . .

Quick Reply: New member - 987.2 Boxster - 1st Post