Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Console power outlet works only once? Fuse OK.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 11:13 PM
PBJT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Console power outlet works only once? Fuse OK.

I used to run a tire inflator off the center console cig lighter outlet (the one under the armrest), and it always worked fine.

One day, it stopped working. Pulled and checked the fuses, they're all fine. The power worked again, so I go to use the tire inflator. It works once, then the next time I go to use it: no power. I pull the fuse to check again and the outlet works again, but only once. I used another device to confirm there's no power to the outlet - it's not the tire inflator.

Any idea what's happening and how to fix it?
Old 10-02-2016, 01:49 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Which Porsche do you have? This is the same issues I've posted on several times. The 12V inputs (including the cigarette lighter input) die after after around 15 minutes. I have an appointment to bring the car in this Tuesday to the dealer to reprogram the electrical system to keep the outlets live so I can charge the car over the winter. There is a TSB on this (for the Macan at least). I will have pigtails attached to the battery in case the reprogramming doesn't work. The direct connection to the battery will work regardless. I'll post on whether they were able to rectify the inputs on the interior of the car - as it's much more convenient to run a charger (or tire inflator) off of those than directly from the battery.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:11 AM
PBJT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is on a 981 '16 Cayman. Mine are OK after 15 minutes, but after using it once I have to pull the fuse to reset something. Since it worked fine over many uses during the first 3 months of ownership, obviously something is not right with mine.

Quick Reply: Console power outlet works only once? Fuse OK.