Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Black 981 Spyder crash in Big Basin. Anyone here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 12:22 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dang! Glad to hear you are ok BobSpyder! Thanks for taking the time to get on to rennlist and post. Glad you are ok. Sucks about the Spyder. You seem to be taking it well. You must be made of sterner stuff than me as I would be absolutely gutted! Hope you get your Spyder back soon and enjoy many more miles with her! I assume you went too hot in to a corner and it understeered? Highly recommend an alignment with more aggressive front camber and that pesky understeer will be gone!
Old 08-24-2016, 01:08 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

BobSpyder, glad to hear you and your passenger are alright!
Old 08-24-2016, 05:01 PM
BobSpyder2016
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone, I'm taking it well cuz we were #1 OK, and #2 insurance is taking care of it. I'm not completely altruistic tho, I was mortified when it happened, I couldn't look up as other 911s, 924s etc passed by, I waited 8 months for that car and it has all the essentials as a keeper, only to loose it in a gully rut going about 40 hitting the gas through a LHT, so sadly no cool story of making a play round an RS and my crashing cuz I tried to flip them the #1 sign ...either way, driver error for sure otherwise I would be posting on this subject.

In retrospect, I would have been a real bad *** if I had the flatbed with the the car on it take me to the Porsche BBQ that afternoon, grabbed a bite, then told everyone see you at the next fun run!
Old 08-24-2016, 05:37 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

^^^^ Bob, your great sense of humor is certainly admirable. I would be crying in my beer. Way to keep it all in perspective.

Feel free to go with the RS story if you want - - know that we will all back you up and keep it our own little secret

Hope she's out of intensive care soon and you're back behind the wheel. As you say, break-in awaits!
Old 08-24-2016, 08:49 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by BobSpyder2016
Thanks everyone, I'm taking it well cuz we were #1 OK, and #2 insurance is taking care of it. I'm not completely altruistic tho, I was mortified when it happened, I couldn't look up as other 911s, 924s etc passed by, I waited 8 months for that car and it has all the essentials as a keeper, only to loose it in a gully rut going about 40 hitting the gas through a LHT, so sadly no cool story of making a play round an RS and my crashing cuz I tried to flip them the #1 sign ...either way, driver error for sure otherwise I would be posting on this subject.

In retrospect, I would have been a real bad *** if I had the flatbed with the the car on it take me to the Porsche BBQ that afternoon, grabbed a bite, then told everyone see you at the next fun run!
That's so funny you mention that. The previous owners of my 993 were big into the 356 club and rolled it on the way to a meet. They did exactly that. They flatbedded it to the event and proudly attended!

Best of success with the repairs.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:37 PM
RRSLLC
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
^^^^ Bob, your great sense of humor is certainly admirable. I would be crying in my beer. Way to keep it all in perspective.

Feel free to go with the RS story if you want - - know that we will all back you up and keep it our own little secret

Hope she's out of intensive care soon and you're back behind the wheel. As you say, break-in awaits!
+1. If you are in the Bay Area and would like bodyshop recommendation please let us know.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:39 AM
BobSpyder2016
5th Gear

Thank You RRS for the offer, I work in San Carlos, so the obvious choice is Superior as they are just a few blocks away, and are certified w/ Porsche (plus I see at least 3 cars a day coming in and out from Carlson from their shop)...should count for something right? They are keeping the lines of communication open, and let me drop by anytime, and to provide my feedback.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:00 PM
RRSLLC
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BobSpyder2016
Thank You RRS for the offer, I work in San Carlos, so the obvious choice is Superior as they are just a few blocks away, and are certified w/ Porsche (plus I see at least 3 cars a day coming in and out from Carlson from their shop)...should count for something right? They are keeping the lines of communication open, and let me drop by anytime, and to provide my feedback.
Please let us know if we can help. We also hope to see your car back on the road and at our events soon!
Old 08-26-2016, 04:24 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Sorry to hear, Bob. Glad you and your passenger got off unhurt. If you trace back the events, was there anything unusual about the way car behaved? Any handling quirk?
Old 08-26-2016, 05:42 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Glad you're okay. I'm surprised this happened at such low speeds.

At least it's being fixed. Replacement might be near impossible.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:43 PM
BobSpyder2016
5th Gear

no odd or quirky handling at all, but the morning glare off the windshield and dash played as one of the reasons and contributed to the crash (the dark areas of the colvert blended in with the road). it was quite a narrow road. This will be the last time I wear glassed with clip on shades.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

And that stretch of road is a waste in a sports car anyway. Better to just stay on 9.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:20 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
And that stretch of road is a waste in a sports car anyway. Better to just stay on 9.
speaking of.. anyone want to do a run to canepa C&C this saturday with me?
Old 09-08-2016, 07:58 PM
CliffJumper RS
Instructor

Originally Posted by CAlexio
speaking of.. anyone want to do a run to canepa C&C this saturday with me?
Never been there before, but hoping to make my first trip w/ some other E63 wagon owners this weekend.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:36 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by CliffJumper RS
Never been there before, but hoping to make my first trip w/ some other E63 wagon owners this weekend.
you have an e63 wagon?... i'm shopping that vs a panamera gts to replace my daily 535xi wagon. how do you like it? I almost purchased one at Mercedes marin.. was a beautiful blue one but the sales lady was absolutely the most insufferable individual I had ever met.. i tried hard to get over it but I left the car because I couldn't bring myself to listen to her speak another word. kind of regret it as i don't see many blue ones...

anyway.. how do you like yours?