Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Is the 987 Boxster Spyder lovely?

Old 07-27-2016, 10:02 AM
EUWDIAMOND
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 987 Boxster Spyder lovely?

I've heard a few times that this car is currently one of the best among Porsche's lineup around~60k. What is your opinion? There are plenty of competitors (997.1 S/4S, 997.2 base, 981 cayman / boxster, 996gt3) that go for the same amount.

Those who have driven it, what is it like compared to the others and also the new GT4 / Spyder? Wod you chose a 987 spyder over 981 Cayman and if so, woulf you do the same with the 987 Cayman R and 981 Cayman?

Feel free to post pics of yours as well
Old 07-27-2016, 11:17 AM
trebien
Racer

I currently have a 2010 Cayman S and a GT4.

The newer 981 chassis are faster and have longer wheelbase and wider track, giving the newer cars a more planted feel. Obviously, the GT4 kicks this up an notch as well.

If you want the fastest lap times... then a 981 platform is your better choice.

But the 987 platform has a certain go-cart flickability to it, feels smaller, and the hydraulic power steering is spot-on perfection.

The Spyder has shown to be very reliable, a very fast car on the track, and easy to mod for more performance with reasonably low running costs.

The Spyder and Cayman R will be hard to beat, for maximum smiles and feel on the track.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:55 AM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I currently have a 2012 Spyder and a 2016 GT4. Love both cars, the Spyder is a good value at current market prices. For me the must have items were 6 speed manual and light weight carbon bucket seats.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:38 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

The Cayman R and original Boxster Spyder are two of the best driver's cars Porsche has ever made.
I have a GT4 and still miss my Cayman R if that tells you anything.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:37 PM
EUWDIAMOND
Advanced

oh now that's surprising! Mind elaborating?
Old 07-27-2016, 07:32 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by TONY AIR C2S
I currently have a 2012 Spyder and a 2016 GT4. Love both cars, the Spyder is a good value at current market prices. For me the must have items were 6 speed manual and light weight carbon bucket seats.
Tony, could you expand on this?

Old spyder v. GT4.

I'm between adding one spyder, this iteration or the last. Never driven the last model.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:10 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Both cars are very neutral and predictable. Brakes, power, and shifting feel on the GT4 is incredible. If I had to pick one car to drive, my 1st choice would be the GT4. With that said both cars are great fun to drive and always put a smile on my face. My wife loves the Spyder, she likes to drive around with the top down, I easily burn, so that's not a big deal for me. What ever you decide, you will love. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:40 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

I also have a 2012 Spyder and a 2016 GT 4 as said before they are both great cars but different. I agree on the sport buckets and I have them in both as do i have PCCB's in both. First the Sport buckets, they are significantly lighter and offer much better lateral support. My wife and I are both well into our 70's and find them very comfortable even on long trips. Now getting in and out at our age is interesting. PCCB's are fantastic brakes and offer again significant reduction in un sprung weight which improves handling. Stick shift, a toss up. I have 6 speed in the GT 4 and love it but in deference to my bride I have PDK in the Spyder and since that is the car we autocross it works great.

Both are keepers. The GT4 just a fantastic track and road car and the Spyder a true modern throw back to the classic open sports car.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:38 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by EUWDIAMOND
I've heard a few times that this car is currently one of the best among Porsche's lineup around~60k. What is your opinion? There are plenty of competitors (997.1 S/4S, 997.2 base, 981 cayman / boxster, 996gt3) that go for the same amount.

Those who have driven it, what is it like compared to the others and also the new GT4 / Spyder? Wod you chose a 987 spyder over 981 Cayman and if so, woulf you do the same with the 987 Cayman R and 981 Cayman?

Feel free to post pics of yours as well
In a word YES! But I know you want us to elaborate. Keep in mind that these are just my own impressions and by no means does it represent how others feel.

I have driven the following:
996 GT3
997.2 C2S
981.1 Boxster S
981 Spyder

Personally the closest car in feel was the 996 GT3 followed by the 997.2 C2S. The new Spyder is light years more modern feeling which it should be. Below are what I thought differed between each car as compared to the 987.2 Spyder.

The 996's mechanical sound is sublime and the fact that you don't have any nannies gives it an edgy feel. You can feel everything the car is doing through the seat, steering and noises it makes. No barriers or insulation. The feel is more pronounced than the Spyder. The rear weight bias of the gt3 is also prevalent and yes it can bite. The controls are also much heavier, both steering effort and clutch effort. The shifter is beautiful, very direct and mechanical feeling.

The 997.2 S overall has a very similar feel as the Spyder although the rear weight bias is noticeable and the acceleration in the lower RPM's is definitely better. Interiors are identical as are engine noise although the sound in the Spyder is more pronounced since it's a convertible with no insulation. Beyond that I didn't discern a considerable difference.

The 981.1 S Boxster with standard suspension did not have the same connected feeling as the Spyder. The interior is far more modern and looks more luxurious. Performance is not as good as the Spyder in my opinion primarily due to the weight difference and the sport suspension on the Spyder. You can upgrade the suspension and from what many have said it improves both handling and steering feedback but I haven't tried so I can't offer a comparison. The sum of the parts just didn't feel that special.

The new Spyder as already noted is far more capable than the original and it does it with far less effort from the driver. Steering feel is light and it doesn't have the same feedback but makes up for it with very quick and direct response. The exhaust sounds far better, incredible that Porsche was able to do this so well. My only dislike of the exhaust is the "pop pop pop" it makes as soon as you get off the throttle. It's forced and gets annoying. Other than that I wish I could duplicate it. The interior is the same as the 981, very modern and luxurious. It feels bigger when you're in it and in some respects it feels bigger when you drive it but the size doesn't hinder the performance. The car I drove wasn't fully broken in so I didn't push the engine but 55 extra horses is never a bad thing.

So to sum it up, I don't have any plans to sell my Spyder to buy any of the above. After driving all of the above I do want to change my exhaust and shifter but other than that I absolutely love the driving experience. The old Spyder does two things really well. It does an incredible job of telling your body exactly what the car is doing both in weight transfer, sound and feedback from each of the tires so you can very easily make adjustments in throttle and steering to make the car do what you want. It also takes your inputs as you would expect so you never second guess if you've put too much or not enough steering or throttle. It also retains the old school feel and look from Porsches of yesteryear which some prefer and others don't.

If I had some extra $$ the new Spyder/gt4, a 993 C2S or an older Ferrari would be on my primary list of cars to consider.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 07-28-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:59 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

If I had some extra $$ the new Spyder/gt4, a 993 C2S or an older Ferrari would be on my primary list of cars to consider.
Good and useful comparison, Afshin, as always. If I had extra $$, I will pick up a 987 Spyder! It will be cool to have the last Porsche with true steering feel! We may never get that feel again, ever!
Old 07-31-2016, 07:08 PM
EUWDIAMOND
Advanced

thank you very much!
Old 08-01-2016, 02:58 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

See below with what I just posted up on another thread here on Rennlist related to your question... Afshin, great write-up... Sums the car up perfectly.

"Sold a 996 TT recently and bought a 2011 987.2. Vastly different creatures. If you like straight line acceleration, the TT is your car. If you like everything else about a perfectly balanced sport car, try the Spyder. I honestly believe the Spyder may be the best all around experience I have ever had in a Porsche, and that's after 30 or so 911's (longhoods, 964's, TT, and several GT3's) Incredible machine!!!"
Old 03-06-2017, 08:08 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
"Sold a 996 TT recently and bought a 2011 987.2. Vastly different creatures. If you like straight line acceleration, the TT is your car. If you like everything else about a perfectly balanced sport car, try the Spyder. I honestly believe the Spyder may be the best all around experience I have ever had in a Porsche, and that's after 30 or so 911's (longhoods, 964's, TT, and several GT3's) Incredible machine!!!"
This! Well said.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:59 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Right!
The driving feel in the 987 Spyder is pure amazing. Driven normal or hard, you always smile.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:53 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts

See my signature for the (P) cars I've owned and what I currently own.
I'm on my 3rd 987 Spyder, and that alone should tell you how great of a car it is to drive. The weight for me is the single most noticeable thing. It feels so light and nimble. It's not the fastest, and probably doesn't handle as well as some of the others I've owned or own, but I can say it's overall the most fun car I've owned. Buy one, you won't be sorry.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the 987 Boxster Spyder lovely?