Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been looking for 987.2 S, but now considering a base 981 ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 12:46 AM
wquiles
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Been looking for 987.2 S, but now considering a base 981 ...

I started looking for a 2009+ S Boxster, but as I try to get newer cars with lower mileage, I have been slowly increasing my budget to allow a newer car, which opens more possibilities as there are fewer 987.2 cars, but more 981's.

In my searches I am seeing a good deal of 981's that look really, really good, so I have been very intrigued. I have been sharing with my wife the cars that seem like good options, and for good or for bad, she has fallen in love with the "looks" of the 981 - not only the exterior, but also the interior. Since she would be the other driver of the car, I am trying to make sure she is happy with the purchase as well.

Since I will not be tracking this car (this would be pretty much be a daily driver here in the Dallas area), I started to see what 981's can be had, and I am finding that the base 981 Boxster might be possible - might need to give a small downpayment to bring payments down a little. BUT, I won't know if I like the 981 base until I drive one, so I have been looking to see what is available close to me here in Dallas. I found this one tonight, which is new enough to be a CPO car:
http://showroom.auction123.com/porsc...6ES120813.html

I have read several threads on "base vs S" and looks like the only way to know for sure is to drive a base Boxster, so I hope to go on Monday to test drive it. I will report when I do

PS. My wife asked me about the CPO warranty, and it would seem that being a 2014 with 15K the car is still on the factory warranty 4yr/50k miles), but did I understand the CPO correctly in that it will extend the warranty to cover up to 6 years from the original in-service date, with a 100K mile max (whatever happens first)?
Old 05-29-2016, 02:09 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by wquiles
Since she would be the other driver of the car, I am trying to make sure she is happy with the purchase as well.
You are a very smart man!

I have read several threads on "base vs S" and looks like the only way to know for sure is to drive a base Boxster
Agreed. There is no substitute for seat time.

PS. My wife asked me about the CPO warranty, and it would seem that being a 2014 with 15K the car is still on the factory warranty 4yr/50k miles), but did I understand the CPO correctly in that it will extend the warranty to cover up to 6 years from the original in-service date, with a 100K mile max (whatever happens first)?

http://www.porsche.com/usa/approvedu...ures/warranty/

CPO Warranty coverage:

Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned Limited Warranty covers up to 6 years, or a cumulative 100,000 miles, from the original in-service date (whichever occurs first), if the vehicle is still under the new car limited warranty at the time of purchase.

For vehicles no longer under the new vehicle limited warranty at the time of used retail delivery, Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned Limited Warranty coverage extends until the earlier of:

• 2 years from the date of used retail delivery

OR

• 50,000 miles from the mileage at used retail delivery, but not to exceed a cumulative 100,000 total miles on the vehicle

Best of luck in your search!
Old 05-29-2016, 01:44 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

My wife's 981 is for sale:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=13146
Old 05-29-2016, 04:18 PM
wquiles
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I am looking for a 6-speed manual, but that is a beautiful combo - very nice indeed

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey

http://www.porsche.com/usa/approvedu...ures/warranty/

CPO Warranty coverage:

Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned Limited Warranty covers up to 6 years, or a cumulative 100,000 miles, from the original in-service date (whichever occurs first), if the vehicle is still under the new car limited warranty at the time of purchase.

For vehicles no longer under the new vehicle limited warranty at the time of used retail delivery, Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned Limited Warranty coverage extends until the earlier of:

• 2 years from the date of used retail delivery

OR

• 50,000 miles from the mileage at used retail delivery, but not to exceed a cumulative 100,000 total miles on the vehicle

Best of luck in your search!
Thanks much for the clarification. That one car I linked (2014 Base Boxster here in Plano, TX) sold yesterday so I will have to find another one to test drive soon.

Last edited by wquiles; 06-02-2016 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Base Boxster, not Boxster S
Old 05-29-2016, 08:59 PM
joey c
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would stick with the 987 S..it will "feel" more like a sports car/
Old 05-30-2016, 10:51 AM
wquiles
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joey c
I would stick with the 987 S..it will "feel" more like a sports car/
Your feedback seems consistent with what many have said, that the 981 feels a little "softer", or a little bit more "disconnected" than the 987.2

I hope to be able to test drive both soon so that I can finally decide which one to pursue.

Thanks,
Will
Old 06-01-2016, 11:36 AM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2012 987 S and confirm that it feels more like a sports car than the newer ones. I keep looking at the 981's because IMO they look so much better, then I drive one and am disappointed.

That being said OP, if you were looking for a PDK, mine may be for sale
Old 06-01-2016, 02:43 PM
wquiles
Rennlist Member

I got to participate in an event driving "exotics", and I got to drive a Lotus, a 981 Cayman (base), and a Ferrari. Even though the Cayman (base) was underpowered compared to the Ferrari (plus the Ferrari sounded GLORIOUS!), the balance of the Cayman was awesome:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...hare_link_copy

The PDK was "OK", and in fact, MUCH better than in the older Ferrari, BUT I am still going to only considera 6-sp manual on the Boxster:

Here is me in the middle of the last two cars that I drove:

Close-up of the 981:

So the only thing I have not driven yet is a 987.2 car (base or S), but after driving/feeling the 981 Cayman on the track, I pretty much know the 981 base Boxster (manual 6-spd) will be outstanding for a daily driver - plenty of power and comfort
Old 06-01-2016, 03:25 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I got to participate in an event driving "exotics", and I got to drive a Lotus, a 981 Cayman (base), and a Ferrari. Even though the Cayman (base) was underpowered compared to the Ferrari (plus the Ferrari sounded GLORIOUS!), the balance of the Cayman was awesome:

The PDK was "OK", and in fact, MUCH better than in the older Ferrari, BUT I am still going to only considera 6-sp manual on the Boxster:

Here is me in the middle of the last two cars that I drove:

Close-up of the 981:

So the only thing I have not driven yet is a 987.2 car (base or S), but after driving/feeling the 981 Cayman on the track, I pretty much know the 981 base Boxster (manual 6-spd) will be outstanding for a daily driver - plenty of power and comfort
As a daily driver when comfort definitely comes into play a 981 will definitely be a better choice. The 987.2 will feel raw and old school compared to the 981 but at the same time that can get old if you're driving longer distances and or dealing with traffic. The radio and phone connectivity will also be night and day although still behind other brands.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Your feedback seems consistent with what many have said, that the 981 feels a little "softer", or a little bit more "disconnected" than the 987.2

I hope to be able to test drive both soon so that I can finally decide which one to pursue.

Thanks,
Will
Don't trust that nonsense; tired old refrain. Go drive both and make sure it's apples to apples suspension wise or you won't get a real comparison. The only reason you'll pick the older model is for budget reasons. The 981 is on another level from the 987 in every way. Faster, handles better, brakes better, and it's more comfortable with a much better interior. And if you want a more sporty ride, make sure to test drive a 981 that has the X73 suspension. There's nothing soft about that car.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:25 PM
flat6ix
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Don't trust that nonsense; tired old refrain. Go drive both and make sure it's apples to apples suspension wise or you won't get a real comparison. The only reason you'll pick the older model is for budget reasons. The 981 is on another level from the 987 in every way. Faster, handles better, brakes better, and it's more comfortable with a much better interior. And if you want a more sporty ride, make sure to test drive a 981 that has the X73 suspension. There's nothing soft about that car.
You're obviously biased judging by your lineup of rides, having owned a 987 and now a 981 I agree with viewpoint that 981 has gotten softer and some of the feel has been lost.

Define feel you might say, one word: steering

#enoughsaid
Old 06-02-2016, 01:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by flat6ix
You're obviously biased judging by your lineup of rides, having owned a 987 and now a 981 I agree with viewpoint that 981 has gotten softer and some of the feel has been lost.

Define feel you might say, one word: steering

#enoughsaid
Not biased at all. Just want to make sure he doesn't get bad advice from someone biased toward the old car because they own one. I've driven both cars. They're both great cars, but there is nothing about the 987 that is better or more of a driver's car than the 981. Zip. The new car was a big leap forward in every way. And it's laughable how this whole .steering feel' nonsense gets repeated over and over, yet some of the best drivers in the world have raved about Porsche's EPS. It's good enough for Tiff Needle, but not good enough for us knuckelheads?

BTW, if you haven't read it yet, there's a great technical article in Panorama a few months back that discusses all the elements of the car that impact steering feel and how electric power steering is but one very small part of the equation. But I'm sure it won't stop the 'Fire - Badddd!' crowd from continuing to complain about steering feel because it sounds cool.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:46 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

The base 981 with an X73 Sport Suspension and MT is an amazing car. I played with one in a PDK for a morning and really loved it.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:27 PM
flat6ix
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not biased at all. Just want to make sure he doesn't get bad advice from someone biased toward the old car because they own one. I've driven both cars. They're both great cars, but there is nothing about the 987 that is better or more of a driver's car than the 981. Zip. The new car was a big leap forward in every way. And it's laughable how this whole .steering feel' nonsense gets repeated over and over, yet some of the best drivers in the world have raved about Porsche's EPS. It's good enough for Tiff Needle, but not good enough for us knuckelheads?

BTW, if you haven't read it yet, there's a great technical article in Panorama a few months back that discusses all the elements of the car that impact steering feel and how electric power steering is but one very small part of the equation. But I'm sure it won't stop the 'Fire - Badddd!' crowd from continuing to complain about steering feel because it sounds cool.
At the end of the day it's for the driver/owner to decide, your views and those you referenced are opinions as are mine. You can parade around telling people how they are supposed to "feel" driving a car or which car is
"better" or calling people out for giving "bad advice" or say the only reason they'd buy a 987 over 981 is for financial reasons but it doesn't really matter, it's which car appeals to the driver/buyer more.

I know for myself that when I sit in a 987 and drive it, the shape and size of the car around me, the view of the road from the windshield, the height of the door panels, the steering feel, etc. etc. is more in line with the experience I want from a sports car, I love my 981 for other reasons and there are some things I do like more about it compared to the 987 but I don't go around telling people they're idiots for liking the 987 more.

Regarding the steering, of course reviewers will say good things about EPS because that's the only option available on current Porsches and compared to other similarly priced vehicles on the market I'm sure Porsche does it better than most, but if you're comparing a 987 to a 981 which in this case is exactly what OP is looking to do and you can't tell a difference in the "steering feel" then I'd question what sensory inputs exactly you are getting when driving a vehicle.

You should definitely purchase a 981.2 because there is nothing about the 981 that is better or more of a driver's car than the 981.2 and if you don't upgrade it's only because you can't afford to *sarcasm*
Old 06-02-2016, 02:37 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The 981 is on another level from the 987 in every way. Faster, handles better, brakes better, and it's more comfortable with a much better interior.
I concur. I've read all of those comments on how the 987 is more "sports car" but personally, having driven both, I preferred the 981 and that's what I bought.

Thanks much for the clarification. That one car I linked (2014 Base Boxster S here in Plano, TX) sold yesterday so I will have to find another one to test drive soon.
I'm not sure what you want, a "base" car, or an "S". Maybe that was just a typo?

Regardless, I agree that you should drive them all, 987, 981, S and base. Decide which is best for you. Have fun while you're doing all of that evaluation too!

Quick Reply: Been looking for 987.2 S, but now considering a base 981 ...