Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 boxster passenger side drain pan

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 08:16 PM
sph06
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 06 boxster passenger side drain pan

Hello all,

Last Monday I got myself a 06 boxster. I had a pre-purchase inspection done at a local dealership and the tech said everything was fine. It was raining last week here and all seemed just fine. Saturday I went looking for a hat that had fallen behind the passenger seat. The floor back there was soaking wet. I sucked the carpet dry w/ a wet vac and stuck a fan to air it out while I went online to research the issue. I found out about the drain pans. I found the drain hole wasn't on the bottom of the pain. I was able to push it back down so that it's now at the bottom. I took it to the dealership to have them look at it. They think a previous owner ran the roof after it broke, and the pan got pushed down and also pushed out the vent. The tech was able to get the vent back in place, and he said he ran a bunch of water down the drain pan and didn't see it leaking.

After getting home today I realized that I can actually pull up the carpet a bit w/ out taking anything out. I found it's very thick w/ foam padding, and the padding is still soaked. I've got it propped up a bit now w/ a fan blowing on it.

I'll probably try to pull the passenger seat out and get access to more of the bottom of the carpet to try it totally out.

Once I get the carpet up some, I'm going to pour some more water in the drain pan to see if I see any make it into the interior.

The tech told me that the price for a new drain pan isn't too bad, but it requires that the engine be dropped and that's a 20 hour job.

Has anyone here ever had to have the pan replaced on their car's?

I also tried to buy the factory manuals from the dealership, but they say for my model year they are not available.

I found what is supposed to be a set on ebay as a pdf, but it leaves a whole lot to be desired. If it's ok to ask, I'd love any pointers to a place to get a decent set of factory manuals.

Sean

Here are some pictures of what I found:

Drain hole not horizontal.

Another view

Vent pushed out as well.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:23 PM
Sapientoni
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default drain pan replacement

You don't have to drop the engine, sounds like somebody wants to bend you over. You do have to take the top mechanisms loose to get the rubber drip pans behind them. It's not so bad. The pans are around $100 each. There are some wires under it and the gear arm mechanisms have to come off the gearbox for the tops. Do them one at a time, I just revived a 2006 that had seen some super hamfisted stupidity of some sort. Bent steel arms, broken plastic ends. drain pans missing. The water will drain down behind the seats and KILL the top control box. I had to take the seats out, and then the carpets and let them dry out for a couple weeks, it was winter and foam dries very slowly. There's a cavity that can accumulate water in this area, remove the plugs from underneath the chassis in that area until you get the entire thing dried out. Otherwise you'll wonder where the drip is coming from and eventually check the rubber plug about 4-6" up from the floor pan.

Best of luck, proceed slowly. I think there's videos or guides on a couple websites.

Last edited by Sapientoni; 08-16-2016 at 07:25 PM. Reason: detail

Quick Reply: 06 boxster passenger side drain pan