Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARGH! Who is running an "XL" race seat in their car? Sparco Ergo II, SPG XL, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 05:41 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts
Default ARGH! Who is running an "XL" race seat in their car? Sparco Ergo II, SPG XL, etc?

Alright so it never occurred to me that this would be a problem....

I ordered a Sparco Ergo II (the XL version of the Ergo, the seat with the removable halo) and had it shipped direct to the shop building the car (a 2006 Cayman).

They just called me... it's too wide, doesn't fit.

Is anybody out there running:
- An Ergo II in a Cayman?
- An "XL" seat of any kind? Recaro SPG XL, Cobra Suzuka GT, OMP HTE-R XL...

Local supplier here (Northstar Motorsports) has the Recaro SPG XL and the Cobra Suzuka GT in stock, so I *can* run, buy one, and get it to the shop... but I don't know if those will work (actually the Cobra is only 3mm narrower in the shoulder, so I think the SPG is my only other option).

Anybody else make an XL seat work?

Shop is gonna futz around a little and see if they can come up with something... but I don't want them to scratch it up too much. Once it gets scuffed up I won't be able to return it.

Kinda in a scramble now. I'm 6'2 and it's all in my torso. Most seats, my shoulders completely cover up the belt holes, hence the need for the "XL" version of most seats. Since I'll also drive on the street occasionally, I wanted the removable halo. Since I can't fit the Ergo, gotta go with something that has no halo.

(Gonna cross-post this in the Racing/DE forum, hope that's OK...)
Old 05-24-2016, 05:51 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I drive a 986 Boxster with 2 Recaro Profi XL seats installed. Right now I have them installed directly to the floor using the Brey-Krause floor mount with the integrated sub bar, but I have also had it mounted on Recaro sliders. That didn't give me enough leg room because the back of the seat hit my BK roll bar extender so I went floor mount. I am 6'2" as well, 240# and 38" waist and fit fine in the XL. I haven't seen an install of the seat you mention, but if you compare the specs of your seat to the Profi XL, if they fit within the same envelope, that might give you some ideas.

I wouldn't classify the Profi XL as "tight" in the 986 - probably the tightest clearance was on the tunnel side for the seat belt receptacle adapter and the lap belt connection on that side. The rest of the clearances, including to the doors, were fine.

Good luck! While not the same car I imagine the interior spacing is very similar.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:54 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

I have a Sparco Ergo II XL seat in my track Cayman. Love the seat.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:00 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I have a Sparco Ergo II XL seat in my track Cayman. Love the seat.
Did you handle the install?

What are the odds I can convince you to give the shop a call that's putting my car together, to give them some tips on stuffing the seat in there?
Old 05-24-2016, 06:17 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Ok I think we have a plan.

Tech said he thinks he sees a way to make it work. Going to maximize it the best he can. I'll bring the SPG XL with me tomorrow when I go to pick up the car. If I don't fit in the Ergo as he's installed it, then we'll yank it and try the SPG.

If the Ergo is good, then I'll leave the SPG in the box and just return it.

@usctrojan.... not sure if you saw the above or got my PM, or if you were willing to call... but, thanks in advance, and thanks anyways I think the shop is good. No need.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:27 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Did you handle the install?

What are the odds I can convince you to give the shop a call that's putting my car together, to give them some tips on stuffing the seat in there?
I didn't do the install...BBI Autosport in Huntington Beach did. Give them a call.

Quick Reply: ARGH! Who is running an "XL" race seat in their car? Sparco Ergo II, SPG XL, etc?