Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Weather in Denver

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 10:50 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Bad Weather in Denver but Beautiful drive to the Grand Canyon. Except...

Luckily, I got to Denver just before the rain/snow started; unfortunately not really weather to take the Spyder out and meet up. Funny because I thought Denver was dryer this time year. Snow in the foothills and mountains. Incredible bad luck.

Update: On the way to grand canyon there was road damage

Last edited by jeanrabelais; 05-19-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Weather has been lousy here this spring. Should get back into the 60's tomorrow, much nicer by the end of the week.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:41 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Weather has been lousy here this spring. Should get back into the 60's tomorrow, much nicer by the end of the week.
Yes, tomorrow ..... I am off Thursday Morning to NM I want to avoid the salt on the mountain roads. Mile high if you around downtown tomorrow, let me know.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:02 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Yes, tomorrow ..... I am off Thursday Morning to NM I want to avoid the salt on the mountain roads. Mile high if you around downtown tomorrow, let me know.
Stuck in meetings/clinic all day but may be able after work. Waiting to get my car back, it's getting 22 ple applied this week. Will let you know!
Old 05-17-2016, 01:01 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

March is out snowiest month. April is our second snowiest month. May is our wettest month. Nothing out of the ordinary for this time of year.

Jeanrabelais,

They don't salt our mountain roads, though I wouldn't want to take I70 right now because of the rockslide damage through Glenwood Canyon and one lane only open each way. Go south down I25 regardless.

Regards,

Matt
Old 05-17-2016, 01:25 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

More predictable in Philly. Rain. And more rain. So sick of it!
Old 05-17-2016, 01:57 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears

They don't salt our mountain roads
Actually they do at times, and they also use Magnesium Chloride. They also mix both with sand, which will usually have some small rock/pebble stuff in the mix, wonderful stuff.

https://www.codot.gov/travel/winter-.../products.html

Trending Topics

Old 05-17-2016, 02:38 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by il pirata
Actually they do at times, and they also use Magnesium Chloride. They also mix both with sand, which will usually have some small rock/pebble stuff in the mix, wonderful stuff.

https://www.codot.gov/travel/winter-.../products.html
I have never in my life seen mag chloride on I70 in the mountains. That's something they use on I25 in metro Denver, where is it raining currently, not snowing.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:07 PM
il pirata
Banned

I have never in my life seen mag chloride on I70 in the mountains. That's something they use on I25 in metro Denver, where is it raining currently, not snowing.
well CDOT says they use salt and mag chloride whether you see it or not...
Old 05-17-2016, 04:03 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Some people like to argue just to argue. The guy is driving to NM in 2 days. There's not a place in the state that has seen mag chloride in the last 30-45 days. There is absolutely no reason to give him added concern about what his car will go through. Even the sand trucks have been put away for the year.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:54 PM
il pirata
Banned

Some people like to argue just to argue. The guy is driving to NM in 2 days. There's not a place in the state that has seen mag chloride in the last 30-45 days. There is absolutely no reason to give him added concern about what his car will go through. Even the sand trucks have been put away for the year.

Who's arguing...so far I am just correcting errors.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:57 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

And now you're just trolling...

Cdot uses mag chloride. Your link confirms that. It doesn't show they put mag chloride on Vail Pass or anywhere else in Summit County.

Quit being a jerk. We've got an out of state member who could use some local guidance of road conditions. He's not going to drive into salted roads anywhere in our state right know even though tonight it will snow some places.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:08 PM
il pirata
Banned

Anyway Jean, now that we are into the name calling phase (and the ignore phase) sorry plans did not work out well. Would have been nice to meet and get a picture of the three Spyders together.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:22 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

I didn't say anything about my xmas trip. I got to Denver just great and visited family a couple days but then when I left to the grand canyon I got caught in NM in a Blizzard named Goliath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I white knuckled it all afternoon going at a slippery crawl - all the off ramps were inaccessible and the road was littered with accidents the whole way I had to drive through the blizzard to the other side. Didn't make it to the Grand Canyon until the next day. The trucks were dropping some thing that looked like rust gravel mixed with salt - IT WAS AWFUL but probably saved my life.

In any other car with any other tires I would take the mountain road Wednesday, but it's my new red Spyder and it just snowed.

There aren't any blizzards in NM this time of year right?

Last edited by jeanrabelais; 05-18-2016 at 12:11 PM. Reason: I post while asleep.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:24 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Stuck in meetings/clinic all day but may be able after work. Waiting to get my car back, it's getting 22 ple applied this week. Will let you know!
I understand, let me know.

BTW is your car at Prestige? I tried to get an oil change appointment and they couldn't because they were booked. I'm going to get my oil change at Walter's in Riverside. Maybe I will see you tomorrow or maybe next time OK?

Last edited by jeanrabelais; 05-17-2016 at 10:29 PM. Reason: I post while asleep.

Quick Reply: Bad Weather in Denver